Stitching and Cutting Steeks

Old September 11th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Joni

Default Stitching and Cutting Steeks

I am knitting a vest with the use of steeks for the front and armhole
openings. My next step is to stitch and cut the steeks. How do I
stitch and cut the steeks with all the stitches still on the circular
needle? Seems like I should be binding off stitches before I sew and
cut. Thanks in advance!

Old September 11th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 11 Sep 2006 14:13:38 -0700, "Joni" spewed
forth :

I am knitting a vest with the use of steeks for the front and armhole
openings. My next step is to stitch and cut the steeks. How do I
stitch and cut the steeks with all the stitches still on the circular
needle? Seems like I should be binding off stitches before I sew and
cut. Thanks in advance!

The instructions ought to tell you how to handle it. Most patterns
will want you to bind off the stitches to be steeked, after which you
set your sewing machine to low tension and short stitch length, run
two parallel lines of stitching up each side of the stitch through
which you'll be cutting, then cut.

If you have any trepidations make a couple of swatches and practice
before you take scissors to your work. It really isn't difficult, but
it can be rather intimidating the first time you do it.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old September 12th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Joni

Thank you Wooly for your response. The instructions say no more than
to finish the body of the vest, stitch and cut the steeks. It then
moves on to the three needle bind off of the shoulders, reserving X
number of stitches for the back neck, etc. I'm not really intimidated,
as much as frustrated with the pattern not fully explaining the correct
direction to go...I guess the pattern assumes that one has worked with
steeks before and knows what to do, I have not. Since I have put so
much time into the knitting and am using 100% Alpaca, I'm concerned
about doing it the right way. Any additional help you can offer would
be greatly appreciated!

Old September 12th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

In that case I'd recommend that you go ahead and STITCH the steeks,
but only cut them one at a time as you're ready to pick up for the
ribbing to finish them. Once you have the steeks tacked down go ahead
and do whatever you need to do to finish the body (shoulder shaping,
binding off the shoulders together, whatever) before you do any
cutting.

If the pattern is online somewhere please post a link - it's much
easier to give good advice when one can see what one is advising
about!

On 11 Sep 2006 17:58:07 -0700, "Joni" spewed
forth :

Wooly wrote:
[...]

Cutting HST from sewn strips... Johanna Gibson Quilting 12 August 30th 06 12:28 PM
Log Cabin Blues lisa skeen Quilting 14 January 26th 06 03:12 PM
Mindless stitching Polly Esther Quilting 12 September 22nd 05 04:23 AM
Stitching on knits Jacqueline Needlework 6 July 3rd 04 07:59 PM