I just found out what purl is in knitty.

Old September 13th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Default I just found out what purl is in knitty.

It came from posting on a newsgroup doesn't need an email address to respond
to. It only attracts spam, which I don't want.
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home

Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
HEE COZY
where did this come from,
mirjam
wrote:

no, no! purl does NOT mean 2 stitches together! She may have purled 2

I see you say you can't watch video

--
-Cozy

Old September 13th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

PS - I am assuming you were asking about my address, if you were asking
about something else, I can't follow what you are asking, try again, ok?

Old September 13th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

NO Cozy i meant , where does one come up with the idea that purl
means 2 stiches together , it seemed an odd question , hence where did
[this idea] come from,???
mirjam

HEE COZY
where did this come from,
mirjam

Old September 14th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:31:06 GMT, Mirjam Bruck-Cohen spun a fine yarn

NO Cozy i meant , where does one come up with the idea that purl
means 2 stiches together , it seemed an odd question , hence where did
[this idea] come from,???
mirjam

Pam Doggie Girls ORIGINAL post said that she found out that Purl is
purl two together, which IS WRONG, and cozy was commenting on it, and
correcting her thinking.
Pam's original post was about a month ago!
Cozy just got to it today, is all, Mirjam!
HTH,
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0637-1, 09/13/2006
Tested: 9/13/2006 6:30:45 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old September 14th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Mirjam, if you look at my post you will see the whole original post is
quoted under my comment. I love the show Knitty Gritty, but it is very true
that they often assume the audience already knows something and may make
comments or even be demonstrating something where they say one thing and do
another because they think you are just following them so easily. I'm
guessing they worded themselves in such a way that made it sound like doing
2 stitches is what made it the purl, when they really just meant that they
were purling and it would just happen to be 2 stitches that time.
One time that drives me wild to even think about it, the guest who was
demo'ing some simple stitch, was working furiously while saying she was just
simply knitting (or purling, can't remember) and that time the red headed
gal did chirp in and say, "she's just turning her stitches as she goes
because they were on backward". I was really glad they did that because
she was removing each from the needle with the other needle and turning it
and putting it back on and working the stitch, all without really saying she
was doing more than just knitting or purling, which would be very confusing
for newbies watching. I had to wonder why someone would show up with demo
pieces that had the stitches on backward and why they couldn't have just
stopped taping, let her fix it, and started taping again, instead of showing
her feverishly turning them and passing it off as just regular knitting or
purling. At other times I've seen them say something simple they were
doing but they were really doing more and acting like everyone just already
knew that. BUT, I have picked up many tips from watching that show, even
on items I hated, there are little tricks that they might use that are great
to see. But I don't think it's that great to try to learn to knit from
scratch from the show, a good book from the store or library on basic
stitches is pretty important if you can't watch the videos available on the
net.
I was trying to make a sock and my book directions went awful, but I
followed some instructions I saw on the show and it's the only reason I was
able to finish it.

Old September 14th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Cozy to start with , i have no idea what this shows or programs are i
never saw any of them .
But i was mystified how one can say purl meand make to together
When i teach i explain to pupils that knit looks like a V while purl
looks a bit like a pearl ,,never having seen any of such programs i
had to grin at your description ,
In Israel i know the Lady BATYA UZIEL , who for years had a
`handcraft program in the children` s program. Everybody knows her
by sight , and every second person , when meeting her says ;"I
happened to prepare the fa finnished item , so that you can see how it
will look!!!" Which was her most used sentence .
But to clarify it all i was amazed from where the idea came ,,,,
now i know thanks to You and Noreen explaining it to me .
As you might remember 1 month ago i was busy Staying alive , between
rockets , and runnin to and from the shelter . And didn`t read all
posts.
mirjam

Old September 14th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:37:13 GMT, Mirjam Bruck-Cohen spun a fine yarn

[...]

Mirjam,
I knew you most likely hadn't seen the original post, as I for one
knew you were 'sheltering' at that time....
Glad to have helped clear things up!

Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0637-1, 09/13/2006
Tested: 9/14/2006 9:43:23 AM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old September 14th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Mirjam, I haven't looked at this group or any other for so long I can't even
remember how long. I've been off newsgroups for awhile, but got bored and
lonely and decided to check them out again. So, I didn't even notice how
old the post was that I answered. I'm surprised it still showed, as my
news server has a nasty idea that a few days is good enough to keep and
deletes others way too early.
I'm so glad to hear you are safe, it must have been awful during the bad
times in Israel. Stay safe and keep on knitting!