The first time my jaw has literally dropped

Old November 22nd 04, 09:02 PM
Alison in OH

Default The first time my jaw has literally dropped

Holy moly. How I never knew about this world of cross-stitch, I don't
know. How I'll ever find time to stitch all these designs, I don't know.

Ahem. To explain...I was searching the group's archives on Google for
more info on Dimples Designs. I came across a post mentioning he shared
a booth at CATS with The Silver Lining. So I searched for those patterns.

Very lovely flower designs. Really liked the lavender lilac.

But then I saw the Peace rose. And my mouth hung open most
unflatteringly for several moments.

That rose has such strong emotional attachment for me. The design is so
beautifully done that I'd love to have it gracing my house. The combined
sentimental value of having a design of that flower stitched by my own
hand? Overwhelming.

So between Fuji (132 x 224), Haiku (132 x 224), and the Peace Rose (219
x 290), not to mention all the other gorgeous DD and TSL and other
designs out there, will I have enough time in my lifetime to complete
them all? Inquiring minds want to know. :}

By the way, is it just as good to support a small and personal online
needlework store as it is to support a LNS? My most local one (a half
hour drive) doesn't have these designers in stock and charges an arm and
a leg for DMC floss.

-Alison (in OH)
Old November 22nd 04, 09:19 PM
Caryn

From: Alison in OH

Holy moly. How I never knew about this world of cross-stitch, I don't
know. How I'll ever find time to stitch all these designs, I don't know.

Join the club! ROFL

The Silver Lining. So I searched for those patterns.

Very lovely flower designs. Really liked the lavender lilac.

But then I saw the Peace rose.

And my mouth hung open most
unflatteringly for several moments.

I don't have Peace Rose (yet) but I do have his Broadway (rose) and Purple
Perfection (Irises) underway, and a few more Irises and the Lilacs in stash.

Marc's use of color and light on the flowers is just amazing. The photos don't
do the colors justice, they are much more vivid when stitched.

The size of them is a tiny bit intimidating, I'll give you that! But they are
so beautiful that it's worth the time and effort (and of course the hunting
down of the various anchor floss colors required) to do one. Especially if it
struck you as strongly as Peace Rose did.

Good luck, enjoy, and happy stashing!

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old November 22nd 04, 09:24 PM
Gillian Murray

"Alison in OH" wrote in message
Holy moly. How I never knew about this world of cross-stitch, I don't
know. How I'll ever find time to stitch all these designs, I don't know.

Ahem. To explain...I was searching the group's archives on Google for more
info on Dimples Designs. I came across a post mentioning he shared a booth
at CATS with The Silver Lining. So I searched for those patterns.

Very lovely flower designs. Really liked the lavender lilac.

But then I saw the Peace rose. And my mouth hung open most unflatteringly
for several moments.

Welcome to the world of the addicted!! Now you have your foot a teeny bit in
the door, there is a whole new world awaiting you. You MUST strive to
atttain SABLE ( Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy). Some of us
severely afflicted stitchers have achieved that several times over!! The day
will come when decisions like "lunch" or "floss" are no-brainers. Floss
every time!

Gillian

Old November 22nd 04, 09:52 PM
Alison in OH

Gillian Murray wrote:
[...]

Ack! But I thought I was already there with my burgeoning yarn stash!
Not another addiction, my husband will never forgive me!

Well...yeah. He will. Eventually.

-Alison (in OH)
Old November 22nd 04, 09:54 PM
Alison in OH

From: Alison in OH

The Silver Lining. So I searched for those patterns.

Very lovely flower designs. Really liked the lavender lilac.

But then I saw the Peace rose.

And my mouth hung open most
unflatteringly for several moments.

Marc's use of color and light on the flowers is just amazing. The photos don't
do the colors justice, they are much more vivid when stitched.

Ooh, I'm glad to hear that! ...Or am I?

BTW, here's my first XS WIP! (TW Tempest in a Teacup)

http://homepage.mac.com/smileygsd/crossstitch1.jpg

-Alison (in OH)
Old November 22nd 04, 10:15 PM
LdyTegan

But then I saw the Peace rose. And my mouth hung open most
unflatteringly for several moments.

Marc's designs do have that effect, don't they? I have several in my stash, but
so far have not worked up the courage to start any of them. I already have
several large-ish projects going, so don't want to add to the confusion.
By the way, is it just as good to support a small and personal online
needlework store as it is to support a LNS?

I think this is strictly personal preference. I'm in much the same situation.
The absolute closest craft store to me is a Hobby Lobby, which I will use quite
often. The nearest LNS is (as is yours) about a half hour drive. I go there for
what I can't get at HL. I use online stores for the things I can't get either
places. In my case, as much as I would like to support the local shop, somedays
I just can't justify the gas for the drive, when what I want, and the shipping
for it, would cost less than the gas to get to the shop, purchase what I'm
after and then drive home.

Good luck with all your stitching ventures!
Tegan

Who we are never changes. Who we think we are... does.
- Unknown
Old November 22nd 04, 10:22 PM
Caryn

BTW, here's my first XS WIP! (TW Tempest in a Teacup)

http://homepage.mac.com/smileygsd/crossstitch1.jpg

-Alison (in OH)

I am so very pleased that you found something you liked when I sent you to the
TW website!

I'm a big fan of dragons myself!

Old November 22nd 04, 11:29 PM
Joan E.

I came across a post mentioning he shared a booth at CATS with The
Silver Lining. So I searched for those patterns.

Very lovely flower designs. Really liked the lavender lilac.

Ah, yes. *Gorgeous* designs! I've stitched Dream Lover (took me
nearly a year) and won 3 ribbons with it at the county fair. )) I
will be going to Nordic Needle the day after Thanksgiving and am hoping
they have the lilac in stock! When I first saw it, even online I could
just smell them!!! Knowing his designs are even more gorgeous in real
life, I'm really looking forward to stitching this one (as if I don't
already have enough patterns! LOL)

In case you didn't know, Marc uses mostly full stitches and minimal
backstitching, IME, anway.

Have fun!

Joan

Old November 23rd 04, 12:49 AM

Boy that google mention of TN sharing with Marc S at CAT's must have really
been an oldie. They haven't shared anyhting in several years now. I must
say that I am a enthralled by the master himself, Marc Saastad. Dream
Lover was my first that I stitched and Diana Rose is almost finished plus I
have about three other smaller ones stitched and framed AND about 70+ in my
stash. Oh and I did Split Rock Lighthouse on 25t "over one". Marc S, while
designing for the "over two" crowd really likes to see his designs stithed
on either 25 or 28 ct over one.

BTW not much has been heard from TN (Dimples) for some months many of his
fans are asking about him. Rumor has it, and this is strickly rumor since
I haven't seen it first hand that he is now designing solely for Hobby
Lobby. Any one know of anything about this?

Marc

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/needlemania

http://www.cyberstitchers.com/Galler...=1065918331265

Old November 23rd 04, 08:41 AM
Helen

I've stitched a couple of Silver Lining's designs, one over one on
28-count and the other over one on 25-count. I much prefered the
25-count and when I do another of his, that will be the count I use.

And no - I don't remember what it is I stitched. Wait ... it's
coming back to me. One was one of the red roses. The other ... lots
of purple ... was it an iris? ... man, I'm going to have to go find
out now!

Ah yes -- Lady Doyle and Purple Passion.

I don't remember as I didn't do them for me but as consignments. They
were very easy to stitch, except for the numerous purples very close
in degree to one another. I found that a bit challenging to stitch.

I have his Santa that I'm going to do one of these days.

Helen in Redmond, WA

AD - The time has come, the time is now... Kalera Stratton Beads 26 January 31st 05 01:34 AM
if you have time Charlie Beads 10 January 20th 05 10:32 PM
OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
Advice needed for foster situation - breeders pls. read LeeAnne Quilting 2 September 13th 03 12:12 AM
The first time LQS visit MerryStahel Quilting 1 September 7th 03 12:24 PM