Quiet???? and Christmas stuff

Old December 7th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

Default Quiet???? and Christmas stuff

I just realized today that I hadn't gotten any posts for awhile!
Sooo, thinking maybe Google was messing something up, I checked. Only
about 15 messages in the last 2 weeks!!!! Everyone must be getting
ready for the Holidays, as am I.

Got my Christmas cards sent out on Monday...the earliest ever! That's
because DH & I are going to Vegas on the 15th to celebrate his 60th b-
d, which was last Sat. We return the 19th. Therefore, we need to get
all Christmas preparations done before we leave.

Shopping is pretty much done but I still have all the presents to
wrap. Got the tree up last night and maybe tonight I'll find time to
decorate, but probably not. I have choir practice tonight and I need
to put the backing on Carol Singers so DSis can take it to Phoenix
with her (it's for another DSis, who is also having C'mas there). She
leaves on Sunday. Nothing like waiting until the last minute, but
that's me! I may not get to the tree tomorrow, either, since I'm
invited to an 89th b-d party/potluck.

How's everyone else doing with your preparations?

Joan
Old December 7th 11, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 12/7/2011 4:09 PM, Joan E. wrote:
[...]

Terrible....where does the time go? EXCEPT I needed gifts for my dozen
or so volunteer receptionists, and I made each one a
bookmark...hemstitched linen with a small cross-stitch motif. So far
I've given out four of them, and the ladies LOVE them, which is very
heartening. I made a dozen different ones, no two alike, and tell each
recipient that if the gift they choose (they are wrapped identically)
doesn't suit them, they can "trade back" once for a different design. So
far, nobody's done that. Designs are assorted - butterflies, angels,
animals, ladies (a Shepherd's Bush lady and a colonial sampler-type
lady), flowers, geometric.

I've done NOTHING yet for family or friends/neighbors. Hope to get that
organized and underway this weekend! Well, other than a very few (five?)
stitchy ornaments.

Sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old December 8th 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy Spera

On 12/7/2011 6:22 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
[...]

I have two orni's ready to be finished....and they still
aren't finished. I did get the Xmas placemats and some of
the Xmas napkins ironed but.....so much to do. I did print out
a calendar of Dec to plan out cookie baking, etc. and got all
the ingredients but... Of course if I would put that my new
Kindle Touch away maybe I'd get things done.

Nancy

Old December 8th 11, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Dec 7, 1:09*pm, "Joan E." wrote:
[...]

I'm farther along than usual but no tree yet! We'll probably find a
tree this weekend but, with two cats in the house (1 1/2 & 2 1/2 years
old) who have never seen a Christmas Tree, I'm not sure how I'll
decorate it. Some of the older, handmade ornaments will will have to
be put away for a few years - Little Twerp EATS things she shouldn't!
- but, since I have enough ornaments for several trees and only room
for one, it won't, by any means, be empty! :-) I may even get the
Christmas cards out but, since I need stamps & can't afford them until
next Wednesday, it may be the following weekend before they go
out. :-)
Old December 10th 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 12/9/11 8:20 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 13:09:38 -0800 (PST), "Joan E."
wrote:

[...]

I started right after Xmas last year and have completed crocheting
five afghans and knitting nearly 20 pairs of socks. I have become
tired of the ever expanding circle of people wanting socks so have
been teaching some young 'uns.

Great idea. It makes me feel tired & useless reading this list! You've
definitely been getting things done.

They came here last Sunday, for me to find out, amongst them only my
daughter had ever knitted anything. We carried on, I can't see that
starting with the normal scarf is that exciting anyway. They are
coming back this Sunday with promises they will have reached the heel
flap. They seem driven types, so maybe. After that they can swing
past if in difficulties.

Well, at least you tried. FWIW, my grandmother & mother - both excellent
knitters - especially my grandmother (people would get on a list for her to
knit things for them - like coats) tried desperately to get me to knit. Or
crochet. It didn't take when I was young - though finally at university I
did manage to crochet some scarves & hats. 20+ years later it turned out
that something had been impressed on my young brain/fingers & when I took a
learn to knit mini-class at a stitch-get-away I actually could only knit in
what I guess is the Euro method - with the yarn in my left hand, not tossing
it across - so it's pretty fast. And my muscles remembered how to cast on 2
ways. So, made my getting back to knitting easy, and enthusiastic. Perhaps
even if your young ones don't go too far right now, in some time your
efforts will come to fruition!

I am not overly fond of people, when in company, texting, however one
of the girls told a funny story. She gives in and visits with her
boyfriends father and stepmother. Stepmother is strange to say the
least. Last time she went she made him promise he would not take off
outside with his father but stick around. He goes off as usual and
stepmother strips to show her the scars from her boob surgery, tummy
tuck and derriere lift.

She excuses herself, goes to the bathroom and from there texts her
boyfriend saying "YOU GET BACK IN HERE!!" - we thought it was funny
and probably the best use for texting we have heard.

LOL - hilarious story. The stepmother sounds like kin to my DSIL - my
brother was quite thrilled when she got the "full body lift." He couldn't
wait to tell us "she's like an 18 year old now." Hmmmm, if her personality
had gone back to that it would be great - she was much nicer when we were at
university, but come to think of it -after 25 years of her being pretty
bitchy, she has become a bit nicer, and it is since the lift....

Ellice
Who has finished next to nothing on the stitching front. But, has several
things 90% done just screaming to be finished and FINISHED! Including the
ornament that is on a scroll frame which I thought I'd finish yesterday
while getting meds all day - sadly they stuck the dang IV in my right hand -
just at the joint by the thumb so I couldn't do squat. That's my excuse
(they did try - 3 people - I was hoarding this spot as it's the last resort
and painful - but after 6 misses they had to go there.)

Holiday gift - new clutch for Skeeter - the TT - which is now costing just
about double what we'd planned (per the mechanic). OTOH, the mechanic who
we adore, and is very, very honest & reliable is lending us a car to use for
the couple of weeks we need to be sure that all our bills & the car is paid
for. Ahhhhh.

..
Old December 14th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Dec 7, 1:09*pm, "Joan E." wrote:
[...]

There's a Harry & David store in the Las Vegas area; maybe you can
stop & pick up some pears to eat while you're there! :-)
Old December 17th 11, 12:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

I finally have a quiet moment - I don't go into work until 2 today.
Already have the dishwasher going along with the laundry.

I feel like I'm either at work, going/leaving work or asleep on the couch.

I'm on the last of the 6 penguin ornies - might actually have them all
finished for the 25th. And get to start them all over again for the
"penguin posse".

Did a lot of online shopping this year just because it was easier. Did
take DD out for an evening and helped her shop for friends, big brother
and Daddy.

Did carve out an hour or so to see Margaret St. John a few nights ago
and ate supper together. We gave each other (totally unplanned) garden
stakes. Her's is a flamingo, I got one that says Ladybug Lane. Spoke to
Gill on the phone recently. Twas nice.

Still have one or two presents to get - forgot to get my neighbor an new
ornament at the bird store. And boxes of candy for the parents of
friends of DD. We seem to be sharing daughters. And a few to find and
mail. Those will be late this year.

DS is home from school, just in time to mail his license back to the
state for 45 days. Maybe this will take the lead out of his foot.

Hugs - love you all

Old December 19th 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2011-12-17, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I finally have a quiet moment - I don't go into work until 2 today.
Already have the dishwasher going along with the laundry.

I feel like I'm either at work, going/leaving work or asleep on the couch.

I'm on the last of the 6 penguin ornies - might actually have them all
finished for the 25th. And get to start them all over again for the
"penguin posse".

Did a lot of online shopping this year just because it was easier. Did
take DD out for an evening and helped her shop for friends, big brother
and Daddy.

Did carve out an hour or so to see Margaret St. John a few nights ago
and ate supper together. We gave each other (totally unplanned) garden
stakes. Her's is a flamingo, I got one that says Ladybug Lane. Spoke to
Gill on the phone recently. Twas nice.

That was really funny and it was great seeing you. Thanks for coming
down. I came down with a nasty cold Friday so I spent the weekend
resting. I am so behind. It's going to be a very long night getting the
packing , wrapping, etc done. We leave when I get home tomorrow night. I
hope the cat sitter doesn't intend to stay long tonight. I haven't seen
him for a while, so I'd love to have a nice visit but can't. I'll visit
with him after we get back. My project I was making for a Christmas
present for DH's Aunt is going to be a present next year. The quilted
wall hanging of baby dragons that Cheryl helped me with is complete. So
at least one stitched item is going to be unwrapped this year. Thanks
again Cheryl for all your help. Yes I'll take a pic and post it after
Christmas.
-Margaret in MA
--
Margaret St. John

Going 'quiet' Butterflywings Quilting 6 October 18th 07 10:14 PM
It's been really quiet here Shillelagh Yarn 20 September 24th 07 02:43 AM
FA: 6 CHRISTMAS Books: Christmas Crafts, Christmas Tree Ornaments, Last Minute Christmas Gifts, etc. Sandy Marketplace 0 December 9th 05 01:49 AM
Its so quiet in here!!! D Curtis Quilting 13 November 14th 05 06:01 PM
QUIET in HERE bdianeVA Needlework 10 November 22nd 04 02:31 PM