Favorite stitching saying?

Old September 21st 11, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

Default Favorite stitching saying?

I'm working on a small project which has an opening about 1 1/4" x 2
1/5". I'm looking for something interesting to stitch in there. I
guess it doesn't necessarily have to be stitching related, so I'm open
to non-stitching quotes, too.
Old September 22nd 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

On Sep 22, 9:18*am, Karen C in Calif wrote:
Joan E. wrote:
I'm working on a small project which has an opening about 1 1/4" x 2
1/5". *I'm looking for something interesting to stitch in there. *I
guess it doesn't necessarily have to be stitching related, so I'm open
to non-stitching quotes, too.

If you work on 50-count linen (yes, there is such a thing), you could
fit almost anything in there!

LOL! But it's nearly done....on 28 ct! Just waiting for the perfect
words....

Does *no* one have a favorite saying?

Joan
Old September 22nd 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa

Joan E. wrote:
I'm working on a small project which has an opening about 1 1/4" x 2
1/5". I'm looking for something interesting to stitch in there. I
guess it doesn't necessarily have to be stitching related, so I'm open
to non-stitching quotes, too.

If you work on 50-count linen (yes, there is such a thing), you could
fit almost anything in there!

LOL! But it's nearly done....on 28 ct! Just waiting for the perfect
words....

Does *no* one have a favorite saying?

Not a stitching saying, but it sort of applies.

It would be a squeeze to fit it in, but my favorite saying is:

"Anything worth doing is worth over-doing."

From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long/Time Enough for Love by Robert
A. Heinlein.

Nyssa, who has been over-doing the ice cream lately
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net

Old September 23rd 11, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 9/22/2011 6:57 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:53:19 -0700 (PDT), "Joan E."
wrote:

On Sep 22, 9:18 am, Karen C in wrote:
Joan E. wrote:
I'm working on a small project which has an opening about 1 1/4" x 2
1/5". I'm looking for something interesting to stitch in there. I
guess it doesn't necessarily have to be stitching related, so I'm open
to non-stitching quotes, too.

If you work on 50-count linen (yes, there is such a thing), you could
fit almost anything in there!

LOL! But it's nearly done....on 28 ct! Just waiting for the perfect
words....

Does *no* one have a favorite saying?

Joan

I thought about it but you didn't tell us what the piece was, so it's
a bit hard to think of something appropriate.

Until the world be quite dissolv'd and past
So long at least the needles use shall last.

The loving eye
and patient hand
Shall join together
and bless this land

The one I used on my millennium sampler would be too long

I light my candle at both ends
It will not last the night
But oh my friends -
It gives a lovely light.

I have two over my winery

Give me wine to wash me clean
Of the weather stains of care

and

Age gets better with wine !

Personally I like Sheena's last quote.

I think I have always liked'

Floss goes through needle
Needle goes though cloth.

From Gill
Old September 23rd 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 9/20/2011 8:28 PM, Joan E. wrote:
I'm working on a small project which has an opening about 1 1/4" x 2
1/5". I'm looking for something interesting to stitch in there. I
guess it doesn't necessarily have to be stitching related, so I'm open
to non-stitching quotes, too.

this is probably too long, but I felt called to share it. This is what's
on my wall:

"I am sewing...and I often lay down my needle and 'build a little castle
in the air' which seriously impedes my sewing project."
(Emily Dickinson)

--
Susan Hartman
Old September 23rd 11, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug

On Sep 20, 5:28*pm, "Joan E." wrote:
I'm working on a small project which has an opening about 1 1/4" x 2
1/5". *I'm looking for something interesting to stitch in there. *I
guess it doesn't necessarily have to be stitching related, so I'm open
to non-stitching quotes, too.

Here's short list I put together in case I need something.

Sampler Sayings

1) The charm of Christmas lies in the thought that we live in the
memory of our friends.

Author Unknown

2) “If it does not seem like a moment’s thought, all the stitching and
unstitching will be for naught.”
William Butler Yeats - Paraphrased by Gary Cooper's daughter for
Turner Classic Movies

3) The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.

4) “And the day came
when the risk to remain
tight in a bud
was more painful
than the risk
it took
to blossom.”
Anais Nin 1903 – 1977

5) “The wise teacher makes learning a joy” author unknown?

6) "Breeze is the conductor, trees the musicians, and leaves the
instruments."

7) The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just
make the best of everything they have.
Old September 23rd 11, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

wrote:

I thought about it but you didn't tell us what the piece was, so it's
a bit hard to think of something appropriate.

It's the same pattern that Mavia made...the thread winder holder shown
on rctnp...but I'm not making it into a pocket, since I have no thread
winders. It will be sort of like a little sampler. I'll try get pics
taken and uploaded this weekend.

Until the world be quite dissolv'd and past
So long at least the needles use shall last.

This would be nice if I could think of some way to shorten it.

Give me wine to wash me clean
Of the weather stains of care

and

Age gets better with wine !

LOL! Neither of which would fit me!

Old September 23rd 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

On Sep 22, 6:18*pm, Gillian Murray wrote:

I think I have always liked'

Floss goes through *needle
Needle goes though cloth.

Hm...if I took out "goes" I might be able to fit that in. Time to
start playing around.

Old September 23rd 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone[_3_]

wrote:

I thought about it but you didn't tell us what the piece was, so it's
a bit hard to think of something appropriate.

It's the same pattern that Mavia made...the thread winder holder shown
on rctnp...but I'm not making it into a pocket, since I have no thread
winders. It will be sort of like a little sampler. I'll try get pics
taken and uploaded this weekend.

Until the world be quite dissolv'd and past
So long at least the needles use shall last.

This would be nice if I could think of some way to shorten it.

Give me wine to wash me clean
Of the weather stains of care

and

Age gets better with wine !

LOL! Neither of which would fit me!

A stitch in time,
Saves nine

This is a very old saying

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old September 23rd 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

On Sep 23, 11:31*am, Liz from Humbug wrote:

[...]

These are all good quotes...yours and the others'! I have started a
document with a list of them.

Anyone else?