Magazine Review: Bead Show 2004

Old March 14th 04, 09:57 PM
Dr. Sooz

Default Magazine Review: Bead Show 2004

I SO agree with you.

I thought this magazine -- which to my chagrin, I bought -- was an amateurish
piece of trash. Don't waste your money. I was shocked by how lame it was.

Short Version: Don't Bother

Long Version: Normally, the publications put out by Beadwork Magazine are
quite good, and I expected a whole lot better than this. The magazine was
billed as a "bead show in a book," and was supposed to give the reader a
taste of a real bead show.

As such, I expected a lot of advertising, to take the place of vendor tables.

The magazine didn't disappoint me there, the issue is at least 75%
advertising. Most of the ads are very nice, and not the same stuff I see
repeated each month in all the Beady magazines. (I swear, I want to throw
that ceramic statue of a woman in a herringbone stitch dress in the trash,
simply because I've seen gazillions of times!)

Where the publication falls short is in the instructional articles. Their
article on making Lampworked beads is so incomplete, it makes me suspect that

their other articles are no good, either. The lampworking article says not
one thing about annealing, and recommends using an insulating blanket. I'm
quite sure that even basic lampworking cannot be adequately taught in a page
and a half of a magazine, though the article seems to state that you can make

beads with only that tiny amount of information.

They do list some further resources, but issue no warnings about the dangers
that can occur when working with hot glass. (BTW, the article is to push
some torch that uses MAPP glass, but isn't a Hothead.) Even worse is the
close proximity of an ad for a beginner's lampwork kit that doesn't even
include eye protection! It would be simple for a reader to see the article,
and associate it with the ad, which I'm sure was no accident.

I cannot comment on their instructions for PMC, because I have no experience
in that area. The project they describe involves covering Fruit Loops cereal

with PMC to make rondelle beads (I'm not kidding), and even though I haven't
worked with PMC, it seems distressingly incomplete.

Another feature is "How to Attend a Bead Show," which is supposedly full of
helpful hints. I had two huge gripes with the article: first that they
recommend you bring between $100 and $3,000 _in cash_ with you to each bead
show. If I were a mugger, I'd be passing out these articles at the door of
every bead show I could find! Carrying all that cash isn't exactly safe,
even if I had $3,000 to carry around with me.

My second gripe wasn't with the wording of the article, but the photos. In
several of them, they showed some cute toddlers poking around tables, and
pawing through trays of beads. Sorry, but a bead show is no place for a
toddler - the Mom can't have fun because she's freaking over the "don't
touch" rule, and the kid will be miserable because he can't touch the pretty
beads and will get trampled. I suspect that the kiddos were children or
grandchildren of the author, though I could be 100% wrong, and they were
simply very savvy young bead buyers. (hah)

Anyway, in my opinion, this is one publication that is best skipped. It
wasn't cheap (~$9), which is a lot of money for a bunch of ads and a couple
of misleading articles.

My two cents,

Kathy N-V

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 14th 04, 11:08 PM
lgreene

I looked at it briefly at the store today, while waiting in line, and
decided against it. Now I have the 7.00 or so for other goodies.

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
[...]

"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old March 14th 04, 11:36 PM
Beadseeker

Kathy,
Thanks for your review. I would send a copy of it to the publisher.
Patti
Old March 15th 04, 03:44 AM
Cheryl

Thanks for the warning!
One less temptation the next trip to the bookstore
LOL
Cheryl
last semester of lawschool! yipee!
A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old March 15th 04, 04:08 AM
Karleen/Vibrant Jewels

I looked this one over and passed on it. Good thing I did. My thinking
was... with so many ads, why was the cost so high?????
--
Vibrant Jewels Online Bead & Jewelry Store
http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/welcome.htm

Karleen Page/Vibrant Jewels
JustBead Auctions
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=21770
PayPal Merchant Account
https://www.paypal.com/mrb/pal=7XJ98L86Z7S2C
.com...

Old March 15th 04, 04:08 PM
roxan

I looked at this at the news stand the other day and didn't think it was
worth buying either. I was very disappointed with the level of some of the
projects and would not recommend buying it.
Roxan

Old March 15th 04, 06:29 PM
Stef

In article ,
Kathy N-V wrote:
Short Version: Don't Bother

Thanks for the review! I will happily save my $$$ without wondering what
I'm missing.

--
Stef ** avid/sensible/sensual/wise/essential/elemental/tangle
** * http://www.cat-and-dragon.com/stef
Old March 15th 04, 07:46 PM
Kandice Seeber

Wow - good to know, Kathy - thank you! I was thinking of buying the mag,
but now I am going to skip it and spend my $9 on something else.

Toddlers might even put beads in their mouths - dangerous!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs