Flannel

Old January 22nd 04, 11:43 AM
Kate Dicey

Trishty wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:43:19 GMT, Kyla wrote:

ROFL! Your whole post made me crack up! "Litigation happy" hit the nail
right on the head! ;o)

According to a recent book by Gore Vidal, America has 4 per cent of the
world's population and two-thirds of the world's lawyers...

Trish

No wonder the rest of us can never find one when we need one!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 22nd 04, 03:35 PM
SewStorm

Val, excellent common sense info on fireproofing kids' sleepwear. I've always
thought it was utter nonsense, and opted for clothing my own children in
something soft and snuggly, rather than the boardy, synthetic stuff that's
reportedly fireproofed.

However, I cringe when I see Polarfleece and similar materials used for
children's clothing, especially outerwear and camping equipment. That type of
fabric can melt relatively easy, which can seriously burn skin. Try lighting a
piece (under carefully controlled conditions, out on the driveway, say), and
see for yourself. It goes up like "whoosh". At least cotton, as long as it's
tight-fitting, will self-extinguish.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 23rd 04, 12:35 AM

Flannel

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing Date: Thu, Jan 22, 2004, 11:24pm
(EST+6) From: (Trishty)
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:39:13 -0500 (EST),

wrote:
=A0=A0=A0=A0Poor dear--some of us will be happy to ship a large quantity
back to the Motherland.
=A0=A0=A0=A0Please fill out forms in quadruplicate, keeping the pink
slip for future reference. Be sure to indicate amount of product
desired. We cannot guarantee size, weight, or quality, and said product
is non-returnable, non-refundable.
=A0=A0=A0=A0Our lawyers have also taken the precaution of drawing up the
following forms (542 of them) for this transaction. Please sign and/or
initial each page, keeping the pink copy for you files, and forwarding
the completed legally binding documents to us, along with your order.
Failure to comply with any of the stated provisions nullifies you right
to persuasively augment and fortify the reciprocity of this procedural
request.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0:-O
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A 0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Ce=
Heh heh heh. Remember what they say about New Jersey, Cea?
Trish
---
Ummm...
JOISY: Don't Go There?
Cea
---Oh, wait, here's another:
The Garden State:
Still on the Drawing Board.
Or:
The Garden State: Seed Us?

Oh, now, don't bother flaming me, Jerseyites: (see?)
A) It has No Effect , and,
B) My perceptions of Joisey were colored by having to spend Sundays on
road trips to visit an aunt who was to stingy to feed us a pbj, although
she, her hubbo, and 3 kids put on the feed bag regularly at my parent's
home. I dislike the thought of New Jersey for the same reason I hate her
Early American furnitu it's a deep-seated psychosis based on
deprivation.
Other than that, and a scourge of nuns, I had a great childhood. Just
don't say "New Jersey" in my hearing.
Cea

Old January 23rd 04, 02:35 AM
CW

It's only dangerous if you light it. Don't incinerate and don't worry.
"Angela Moak" wrote in message
Okay, I went a little nuts after Thanksgiving at JoAnns and bought about
40 yards of flannel. My question is this, it is labeled "not intended
for children's sleepwear" does this include things like receiving
blankets? I want to make some light receiving blankets for two of my
employees, but I don't want to use something that may be dangerous.

BTW-Sorry for not posting in ages, my computer and I have been having
issues for about six months. It miraculously started working again,
although I am suspicious that the DH did something to it to ease the
whining.

--
Regards,

Angela

Remove "not" from address to reply.

Old January 23rd 04, 07:13 AM
David Harmon

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:25:24 -0500 (EST) in rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,
was alleged to have written:
Is it cotton or synthetic? For myself, since there is 40 yards of it,
I would cut a scrap from it and light it to see just how vigorously it
burns.
---
Well, it's cotton, so it will burn. IMHO, this isn't a very good test.
Some poly and blends destruct equally fast, but instead of turning to
ash, as cotton does, they melt onto a gummy residue. Think what that
would do on a body.

That is the point I had in mind, although I guess I didn't make it very
well. Both cotton and synthetics will burn, but cotton will often just
smolder, will not ignite from a spark as quickly as many synthetics, and
will never melt into a hot sticky burning glob on your skin.

Synthetics are typically forbidden for welders. Not counting special
things like Nomex. You can live with holes burned in your coat where
sparks landed, but once again hot sticky burning globs are a disaster.

I just pulled an old shirt from the rag bag and burned a scrap of it.
From the dripping globs of flaming goo, it obviously wasn't cotton.
If you don't know what a fabric is, then burning some of it is actually
a good test of how it will burn.

All I am asking is that anyone who wants to see the difference, try it
for yourself. Then make your own decisions. If I had a scrap of known
fire-resistant treated material to try, that would be very interesting.

Old January 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
Sally Holmes

Trishty wrote:
BTW: I have the same psychosis about Yorkshire, where I grew up. I'm
sure there are nice people there but the way I remember it, I never
met any.

Yes, Trish, there _are_ lots of nice people here.

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England