Sewing Machine Recommendations

Old January 28th 04, 06:39 AM
Brooke

AmazeR wrote in message . ..
The demonstration model Bernina that I looked at seems to include a
box of about 8-10 feet, but I will make sure that I get a confirmation
from the Bernina dealer should I decide to go ahead and purchase that
machine.
I can't recall what feet come with the Husqvarna, so I'll go back to
the dealer and seek confirmation of what attachments I am getting.

Many thanks

Hey Brooke,

Get cheeky too, & see whether they'll throw things in for free.. After
all, you are spending a small fortune, right? TIC

Mavis

Good thinking Mavis
Well since I last posted, I have purchased a Janome 6500. After
reading the recommendations on this newsgroup and having done some
research about the sewing machines in the same price bracket, I have
found that the 6500 has the maximum amount of features.

There wasn't much room for getting anything thrown in for free because
the machine comes with just about everything I will need. It has a
huge range of stitches, an amazing range of button hole types and the
package comes with numerous sewing feet, needles, bobbins etc.

The agent also allows 12 hours free sewing lessons so that is a bonus.
Again thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Regards
Brooke
Old January 28th 04, 06:49 AM
Brooke

"Sally Holmes" wrote in message ...
AmazeR wrote:
Get cheeky too, & see whether they'll throw things in for free..
After all, you are spending a small fortune, right? TIC

That's not cheeky, it's negotiation. Do you think the dealer accepts the
first price that the manufacturer quotes? Would you buy a car at the sticker
price?

If the answer is yes, come right over to my house! I have _such_ a bargain
for you. Don't you bother with writing that cheque, dear, just sign it there
and give it to me. I'll do the rest for you.

If the answer is no, you're ready to haggle. Er, negotiate. At the least,
you want some extra needles and the walking foot. Maybe a pack of spare
bobbins, too. Are the classes free? If not, you're looking for a discount on
them. I know the Husqvarna blue workbook costs money (it's worth it) so
roll that in too.

How? My approach is direct: "Would you throw half-a-dozen packets of
needles, the walking foot and the workbook in for $original?" If the answer
is yes, you've won. If it's "No, but I can let you have it for $original+x"
you've got a start. You can try again: "How about the classes as well?"

If you have the money readily available it may be worth asking if the dealer
would prefer cash, cheque or a credit card: it can make a difference to how
much he actually gets.

I'm not saying you'll get the machine and all of the extras for the original
price, but if you're looking at a middle- to top-end machine you should get
the whole package at a discount. It's in the dealer's interests too: if the
dealer makes you happy, you'll go back there when you need extra feet,
thread, bobbins etc.

At the end of a good haggle both sides should feel that they've won
something. The dealer has a sale and that means a profit, albeit less than
he'd hoped. You have more than you thought you were going to get for your
money.

I would be interested to know what sort of percentage markup there is on new
sewing machines. Does anyone know?

I love haggling.

Sally

Hello Sally
Thanks for your sound advice. My husband is a real haggler, er
negotiator, he always manages to get lots of freebies when we purchase
anything.
:-D

In this case I didn't haggle, I have just purchased a Janome 6500 and
everything that I will be needing came with it. After doing some
research I found that this particular machine has a lot more features
than others in the same price range and yes, it includes walking foot
and all the feet I will be needing, extra bobbins, needles, 12 hours
of free lessons and I'm so pleased with what the machine was able to
do in the demonstration that I never bothered to bargain.

Altho' I have brought the machine home, I haven't taken it out of the
box yet because I have a few other things to do at the moment and I
know for sure that as soon as I unwrap the machine I would have to
spend hours playing with it and discovering just what it is capable
of. I have a lot of little projects in mind, including a little
patchwork nursery quilt kit with teddy bears, and am really looking
forward to getting started on it.
Ooh I can't wait !!!!!

Regards
Brooke
Old January 28th 04, 12:08 PM
Kate Dicey

Brooke wrote:

[...]

Glad you found something you like using and will offer hours of harmless
fun! ;D If you want to quilt, come over to
rec.crafts.textiles.quilting and join the fun there too!

I know what you mean about the machine and playing - DH had to cook 3
days in a row when I got mine!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 28th 04, 01:47 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: (Brooke)
Date: 1/28/200

.... I have purchased a Janome 6500 ..... There wasn't much room for getting

anything thrown in for free because
the machine comes with just about everything I will need. It has a
huge range of stitches, an amazing range of button hole types and the
package comes with numerous sewing feet, needles, bobbins etc. ......

I have a Janome 9000 and love it. I got mine online so never had the
opportunity to get any classes. I keep saying I am going to sign up for some
but the local guy is about 30 miles away and I don't like the thought of
dealing with the Atlanta traffic -- LOL! Anyway, I just wanted to share a
funny embroidery machine story and let you know that the Customer Service folks
are the greatest -- at least here in the States.
When I first got my machine I diligently went through and read (well, sort
of -- LOL) the owner's manual. I tried out the two different memory cards that
came with the machine and they worked like a dream -- no problems. I did some
plain sewing and a bit of decorative stuff with the built in stitches and
numerous buttonholes. What I *didn't* try out was the built in alphabet.
At the time of my story, I had had the machine for about 3 years and still
loved it -- never any problems. Used the memory cards a lot, used the
decorative stitches a lot, used the regular sewing a lot. What I didn't have a
need to use until last summer was the built in alphabet.
When I finally had a project that could make use of that feature (a quilt
block with the recipient's name on it). I put my piece of practice fabric into
the hoop, got the hoop into the machine, called up the built in alphabet,
programmed the info and stepped on the gas. NOTHING happened!!! The frame
stayed put and the machine just sewed in one spot!!!
What's wrong says MOI? I can't for the life of me understand WHY the
machine won't work. Worked fine when I used the memory card but I didn't want
that type of name. I wanted just the small thin line of script type of
stitched name. I pulled out the trusty manual and coudn't find anything about
using the built in alphabet or how to hook the hoop up, etc.
So, I get online and I e-mail Janome. I had emiled them several months
earlier complaining about the fact that the little metal lifting bar on my
darning foot had broken and I had only used it twice to do small projects!
They were very prompt about responding and apologized and sent me a new foot
(free of charge) plus a packet of needles and a small packet of bobbins.
OK -- I e-mail them again -- on a Friday afternoon -- about this current
alphabet problem and I was just a teensy bit upset! I mean, here I have this
fancy-schmancy machine worth a LOT of $ and I can't use one of the main
features that is built in! There aren't any directions dealing with the
problem in the manual, I have tried everything I can think of, yadda, yadda,
yadda.
The next day -- Saturday -- the phone rings and it's a woman asking for me.
I am about ready to hang up because I think it's a telemarketer but she says
her name and that she is with Janome. She has called because expaining the
solution to my problem is easier in discussion than written. First thing she
says (after determining that I want to use the built-in alphabet and not one of
the memory cards) is "You don't need to use the hoop...". She didn't get any
further in her explaination because a *huge* light went off in my head! I
interrupted her to tell her that it had FINALLY dawned on me that the lettering
is SEWN not embroidered!!!!! HOW could I have been so dense? The lettering is
SEWN -- from top to bottom -- just like all the rest of the built-in decorative
stitches! We both laughed so hard we were in tears. She said that she knew
*exactly* what my problem was when she read my e-mail because I am not the
first person to make the same mistake.
I was absolutely mortified -- LOL! I mean, I am an educated, fairly
intelligent person who has been sewing for about 40 years. Yet, my mind was in
such a rut thinking about using that hoop to do lettering that it never even
occured to me that *this* alphabet didn't need the hoop!
VBS -- I learned my lesson well, to say the least -- LOL! Oh, back to the
lady at Janome -- she sent me a nice little packet with a note thanking me for
giving her the opportunity to help me out AND more bobbins and another packet
of needles :-))! Now THAT is Customer Service!!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old January 29th 04, 02:52 AM
AmazeR

Good thinking Mavis
Well since I last posted, I have purchased a Janome 6500. After
reading the recommendations on this newsgroup and having done some
research about the sewing machines in the same price bracket, I have
found that the 6500 has the maximum amount of features.

There wasn't much room for getting anything thrown in for free because
the machine comes with just about everything I will need. It has a
huge range of stitches, an amazing range of button hole types and the
package comes with numerous sewing feet, needles, bobbins etc.

The agent also allows 12 hours free sewing lessons so that is a bonus.
Again thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Regards
Brooke

hey, congratulations & many happy hours sewing,

Mavis

Old February 1st 04, 09:08 PM
Brooke

AmazeR wrote in message . ..
Good thinking Mavis
Well since I last posted, I have purchased a Janome 6500. After
reading the recommendations on this newsgroup and having done some
research about the sewing machines in the same price bracket, I have
found that the 6500 has the maximum amount of features.

There wasn't much room for getting anything thrown in for free because
the machine comes with just about everything I will need. It has a
huge range of stitches, an amazing range of button hole types and the
package comes with numerous sewing feet, needles, bobbins etc.

The agent also allows 12 hours free sewing lessons so that is a bonus.
Again thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Regards
Brooke

hey, congratulations & many happy hours sewing,

Mavis

Thank you Mavis
I will report back in a few weeks to give some feedback on how my new
machine is going. I forgot to mention that the Machine salesperson
also allows three months to pay off the machine, with no interest
charges.

Regards
Brooke
Old February 1st 04, 09:12 PM
Brooke

Kate Dicey wrote in message ...
Brooke wrote:

[...]

Thank you Kate,
I have been looking at the patchwork newsgroups and what a wonderful
on line resource, together with alt.sewing. I am really pleased to
have found these newsgroups.

I have been rather busy to comment on the posts on these newsgroups
but I have been reading them and some of the website that are referred
to, they are wonderful.

I will report back at some stage about how my new machine is going.

Thanks again
Brooke
Old February 1st 04, 10:23 PM
AmazeR

Thank you Mavis
I will report back in a few weeks to give some feedback on how my new
machine is going. I forgot to mention that the Machine salesperson
also allows three months to pay off the machine, with no interest
charges.

Regards
Brooke

Cool.. that is a bonus - for the finances...

Be interested in reading the feedback,

Mavis

FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 7 October 4th 04 02:16 AM
RCTQ FAQs *where did the month go?* Diana Curtis Quilting 20 May 3rd 04 04:09 AM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 06:43 PM
sewing machine repair (Long winded) Christina in Ok Quilting 8 November 2nd 03 04:51 AM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM