Magnification Please

Old August 4th 03, 08:33 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Default Magnification Please

Okay, I'm well into my first little sampler in 20 years, and I'm
finding that I'm going to need some magnification.

Could you experts please explain to me the different types available
for needleworkers, and what you like best?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Old August 4th 03, 09:15 PM
emerald

"Jacquard_The_Ripper" wrote in message
Okay, I'm well into my first little sampler in 20 years, and I'm
finding that I'm going to need some magnification.

Could you experts please explain to me the different types available
for needleworkers, and what you like best?

Cynthia,
What I did was take a piece of fabric down to my local drug store and check
out their cheapie spectacles at various magnifications. Then you can get a
few pairs to carry around or leave with assorted projects...or lose!!

hth,
emerald

Old August 4th 03, 09:43 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

(Jacquard_The_Ripper)

Okay, I'm well into my first little sampler in 20 years, and I'm
finding that I'm going to need some magnification.

Could you experts please explain to me the different types available
for needleworkers, and what you like best?

First off, tell us what your most typical stitching situation is. Do
you have a "stitching nest" at home where you do all your stitching or do you
take it with you different places like work or travelling? Do you work in hand
or in a hoop or frame? If you use a hoop or frame so you also use a stand to
hold it?
I do all of the above so I have three different types of magnification. I
can't use the clip on mag glasses that emerald mentioned. They tend to give me
a headache. I also have my work in some sort of frame and have a stand to hold
the frame. When I am travelling on the plane, I have something small (in a
Q-snap or in hand) to work on and I use my Mag-Eyes. They are small and come
with various lenses and don't get in the way in the cramped confines of an
airplane.
When I am on the go in the car -- like to my needlework group meetings -- I
have my project in the fram and the portable stand. I have a magnifyer with a
clip and a gooseneck that I use for those situations. The whole set up is way
to bulky for "serious" travelling but just fine for around town.
When I am stitching at home, I have an Ott Light with the attached
magnifyer. This setup make stitching pure heaven! There is nothing to fuss
with and everything is quite adjustable.
The one thing I WILL warn you against is the magnifyer that hangs around
your neck by a cord and sort of rests on your chest. This might work OK for
the male of the species but it's just not made for the female anatomy! I have
one of those things and every time I tried to use it, the durned thing would
flop upside down on my bosom every time I took a deep breath! They are just
too unstable sitting there, perched on top of a woman's chest!
If you wear glasses and can tolerate the little clip on magnifyer things,
they are probably the easiest and cheapest thing to use. Next best is the
Mag-Eyes (which I swear by) but they are upwards of $27.00 I think. worth
every penny, mind, but still a good chunk of change esp[ecially if you are on a
budget! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old August 5th 03, 02:22 AM
Alison

I have (like many others who've posted) several solutions.
I have a lighted circular magnifying lamp. That's great but the light
does get in my partner's eyes and I find it kind of hard to position.

I have clip-on magnifiers but I don't like to wear them with my
regular glasses (Silhouettes, no frames), I have to get out my
"reading in bed" glasses to wear them with. They're good.

But I just discovered recently that a pair of store-bought reading
glasses also works fine (and I don't have 2 sets of lenses to look
through.) I got some 2.75's with sparkly hand-painted frames.

So my advice would be to go to the drugstore and try some on. I'd
also add that you need to have enough light. 150 watts is barely
enough for me, I prefer 200.

Alison

Old August 5th 03, 04:31 AM
LdyTegan

I got some 2.75's with sparkly hand-painted frames.

So my advice would be to go to the drugstore and try some on.

The only thing wrong with this is if you happen to be like me! I'm envious of
everyone who can wear those store-bought magnifying glasses! I'm nearsighted in
one eye, and farsighted in the other, so those won't work for me at all. So, if
you do have differing eyes, be cautious when trying them on at the drugstore or
where ever you try them out. My first time trying, I walked out with a massive
headache.
Tegan

Who we are never changes. Who we think we are... does.
- Unknown
Old August 5th 03, 02:06 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Hi the

In answer to some of your questions. Yes, I do have a sewing room,
but that's not where I do Xstitch. I carry my stuff all around the
house--upstairs, downstairs, outside. Today I'm taking it to the
hospital where my son is having day surgery. Don't worry, not
serious. I have a big tapestry bag that I love but the opening is
barely large enough to squeeze my 16" frame in. It's just not
designed for what we do.

I always use a frame, and I always carry it with me. Just haven't
figured out the best way to do that, then *see* it when I get to where
I'm going.

Thanks so much for the help,
Cynthia
Old August 5th 03, 03:10 PM
Felice Friese

"animaux" wrote in message

HA! We had a Sun Tunnel installed a few weeks ago in our living room. It

was
so dark in there I couldn't see anything any more.

www.velux.com

Now that we saw how they install it, we are going to buy one for every

room in
the house. I love that thing!

You may just have made up my mind for me, Victoria. I live on Cape Cod,
which is the most beautiful spot on earth but has a lot of GRAY, and I've
been wondering if those lights really work. Now I'm off to the velux site to
find out more.

Felice

Old August 5th 03, 09:57 PM
Felice Friese

"animaux" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:10:03 GMT, "Felice Friese"

wrote:

You may just have made up my mind for me, Victoria. I live on Cape Cod,
which is the most beautiful spot on earth but has a lot of GRAY, and I've
been wondering if those lights really work. Now I'm off to the velux site

find out more.

Felice

As far as the type of light, it definitely give light, but it's a bit blue
light. I needed to put some silk above the prism cover to tone it down,

or warm
it up, some. I am going to see if I can find some vellum in the color I

want.

They are great. We have the 22" and are absolutely going to put more in.

have it all installed we paid $590.00 US. You can buy the kit and do it
yourself for about 350. Still, way less expensive and less mess than a

skylight
(which will eventually leak).

Thanks for the advice on toning down the blue! Will you let me know how the
vellum works?

Felice

Old August 6th 03, 05:39 AM
LdyTegan

Ditto myself and my mother (knew I came by it honestly)

Isn't that odd? My Mom is the same way! My Dad had 20/20 until he started
getting a bit older, but Mom and I can almost switch glasses, it's that close.