A blackbelt level tightwad

Old October 13th 05, 03:21 PM
Polly Esther

Default A blackbelt level tightwad

There's a ruler here that I love. Love too much. There are others but this
is the one I always pick up. After many happy years together the lines wore
off right at the front edge. "Why", I said to myself, "don't you fix it?"
So I did. I sort of wiped off the ruler and drew new lines with my friend,
the Sharpie extra fine point marker. How sweet it is. Why didn't I do that
sooner? Polly

Old October 13th 05, 03:28 PM
Taria

I have a favorite too Polly. Lines are 'thinning out' I was lucky to
find a stack of rulers at the swap meet one day and in it was one just
like my favorite, but never used. I still have both. Maybe I'll give
the old one a 'face lift'.
I can only aspire to be a blackbelt tightwad...
Taria

Old October 13th 05, 04:09 PM
Ann

Polly, if you paint over your lines with clear finger nail polish they will
last longer on your "new" ruler g

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

ink.net...

Old October 13th 05, 04:16 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

There's a ruler here that I love. Love too much. There are others but this
is the one I always pick up. After many happy years together the lines wore
off right at the front edge. "Why", I said to myself, "don't you fix it?"
So I did. I sort of wiped off the ruler and drew new lines with my friend,
the Sharpie extra fine point marker. How sweet it is. Why didn't I do that
sooner? Polly

I'll remember that one! Apeals to my mean streak...

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 13th 05, 05:48 PM
Patti

As opposed to ... !
I *love* rulers. Not quilting rulers, but all rulers. I found my
heart's delight not so long ago - a *steel* twelve inch ruler. No
warping, no twisting, the calibrations go down to 64ths!!!! I just love
it! I also have a navigational parallel rule - for drawing parallel
lines (for me that is!) - complete with brass holding knobs and turning
pieces. Mmmm .. just like my Dad's of many years ago. Maybe I should
have been an engineer?
..
In message . net, Polly
Esther writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 13th 05, 06:37 PM
Bonnie NJ

Smart move.

My keyboard is having the same problem...I'm wearing off the letters. It
doesn't bother me, I rarely look at the keys. But DH and DGD hate to use it
because they can no longer read....maybe I'll fix it as you did - maybe ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old October 13th 05, 07:51 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

My husband was a tool and die maker and I found an 18" metal rule like
the one you describe that he'd used when he was working. It even has
something on the back to keep it from slipping.

Patti wrote:
As opposed to ... !
I *love* rulers. Not quilting rulers, but all rulers. I found my
heart's delight not so long ago - a *steel* twelve inch ruler. No
warping, no twisting, the calibrations go down to 64ths!!!! I just love
it! I also have a navigational parallel rule - for drawing parallel
lines (for me that is!) - complete with brass holding knobs and turning
pieces. Mmmm .. just like my Dad's of many years ago. Maybe I should
have been an engineer?
.
In message . net, Polly
Esther writes

Old October 13th 05, 08:35 PM
Polly Esther

I only look at the keyboard to type zigzag. Somehow, that word boondoogles
my brain/finger connection. Polly

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
news
Smart move.

My keyboard is having the same problem...I'm wearing off the letters. It
doesn't bother me, I rarely look at the keys. But DH and DGD hate to use
it because they can no longer read....maybe I'll fix it as you did - maybe
;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old October 13th 05, 08:48 PM
Pat in Virginia

A kewl ruler I have is actually a very sturdy bookmark, with
ruler on one side, and a calendar on the other side. I like it
because it for the year of my birth. (Secret!) Found this at a
yard sale. I love yard sales!
I have a couple extra quilting rulers that I am saving for DIL2B,
in case she gets bitten by the quilting bug. She has already
asked to use my SM for curtain sewing! I'll "remind" her she
needs to make a simple 9 patch cushion to match the curtains.

Grins,
PAT in VA/USA

Old October 14th 05, 12:25 AM
Nann Hilyard

Patti, my dad was an engineer, too. One of the rulers I "inherited" is
triangular. It is 12" long and three-sided--each side has two edges, with
the result that the ruler has 6 different scales.

I also have the ruler I got when I was in 2nd grade. That was 1959-60!

Nann