my grandpa :o(

Old October 7th 05, 05:46 PM
Judy

Thoughts and prayers enroute from Maine to you and your family. I hope the
best for your G'pa's full recovery.
ME-Judy

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
Had a stroke last night. He has been living with my aunt in Brasil for a
while now, and I haven't seen him for years ( I feel quite guilty about
that. He is sedated now, has warmed up and has some colour, and we'll know
the extent of the brain damage tomorrow.

Old October 7th 05, 07:22 PM
rory

"From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!
This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo

sorry for you, doc!
I got you in my heart. Tell your little baby the more possible of this
"nonno".
This kind of people don't born anymore!
un abbraccio
marina da Roma

"DrQuilter" ha scritto nel messaggio
Had a stroke last night. He has been living with my aunt in Brasil for a
while now, and I haven't seen him for years ( I feel quite guilty
about that. I used to exchange letters with him when I first moved here,
but then we stopped. My uncle heard him breathing differently early
this morning and called the ambulance. Half his body is paralized and he
can't talk. He is sedated now, has warmed up and has some colour, and
we'll know the extent of the brain damage tomorrow.

This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo, and called his wife and
3 daughters by his side a year later.

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old October 7th 05, 10:25 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
DrQuilter wrote:

Had a stroke last night. He has been living with my aunt in Brasil for a
while now, and I haven't seen him for years ( I feel quite guilty
about that. I used to exchange letters with him when I first moved here,
but then we stopped. My uncle heard him breathing differently early
this morning and called the ambulance. Half his body is paralized and he
can't talk. He is sedated now, has warmed up and has some colour, and
we'll know the extent of the brain damage tomorrow.

This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo, and called his wife and
3 daughters by his side a year later.

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!

Marisa, my heart goes out to you! I hope that the brain damage is
minimal and that your grandpa recovers quickly. My own grandfathers were
never a part of my life, but I know my two DDs thought the sun and moon
rose in my DFIL!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 7th 05, 11:58 PM
Sharon Harper

(((((((hugs))))))))) and love. Gramps's are special aren't they?

quicker)

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
Had a stroke last night. He has been living with my aunt in Brasil for a
while now, and I haven't seen him for years ( I feel quite guilty
about that. I used to exchange letters with him when I first moved here,
but then we stopped. My uncle heard him breathing differently early
this morning and called the ambulance. Half his body is paralized and he
can't talk. He is sedated now, has warmed up and has some colour, and
we'll know the extent of the brain damage tomorrow.

This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo, and called his wife and
3 daughters by his side a year later.

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old October 9th 05, 05:53 AM
Tricia

*comfort* Tell him! If you can't go, make a tape or video to send him
so he can hear it.

T.

Old October 9th 05, 05:40 PM
DrQuilter

but it is brasil! far away and expensive... (
he is still on the ICU but stable, sleeping a lot. we don't know what
the extent of the damage is, or how much he might recover. he tries to
talk but unsuccesfully so far. they do not allow visitors except for a
few minutes at a time, so my mom and her sister haven't made the trip
yet, they are waiting for developments. thanks for the good thoughts
everybody...

Kate Dicey wrote:

Mystified One wrote:

Tell him while you still have a chance. I spent time with my uncle in
June, and I'm glad I did. We knew he was dying, but I also knew I
didn't have the money to come back to his funeral. I spent the money
seeing him while I still could, and I feel it was ultimately better
than just showing up when he was gone and didn't know me.

I do so agree with this! I'm so glad we saw my MIL before she went.

Even if it's a phone call or a letter, do something so he knows you
love him. Better yet, tell all of the people that matter to you how
you feel while it's possible. It's far easier to call a relative and
tell them you've always looked up to them than it is to find out
they're gone and you've lost the chance.

My dad went in a flash aged 53. there are so many - too many! -things I
wish I had said before he went! We had a good, strong, loving
relationship, but I still want to tell him things!

Meanwhile we will pray that he has a good recovery and that he is there
to hear your loving words, and those of Sofi, for many years to come. He
sounds like an admirable old gentleman.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 9th 05, 09:57 PM
Elaine Abner

Prayers and good thoughts for your grandpa. Elaine in GA

Old October 14th 05, 03:43 PM
DrQuilter

thanks all. he is doing better. he got pneumonia and I thought that was
it but they put him on antibiotics and he is stable now. he is now
trying to speak (gets frustrated because it is not intelligible and is
cursing at the nurses to get the tubes out...

Old October 14th 05, 04:09 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

When my stepfather was 82 he got pneumonia (as COPD) and was placed in a
nursing home. His sister got rid of his apartment and some of his
belongings (kept some in her garage) thinking he was going to die. He
is blind in one eye and can't see well out of the other (cataract). He
got pneumonia again while in the nursing home, his third or fouth bout I
believe in total.

Now, at 85, he lives in an even better apartment (can't drive anymore
and he is upset about that), goes to the senior center twice a week,
volunteers at a nearby nursing home to help the "older" folks play
bingo, plays bingo and cards in the community room at his apartment
complex almost every day, and does his own grocery shopping.

I'm glad your grandpa is improving. He may very well live to be a hundred!

Old October 14th 05, 04:56 PM
Debra

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 07:43:11 -0700, DrQuilter
wrote:

thanks all. he is doing better. he got pneumonia and I thought that was
it but they put him on antibiotics and he is stable now. he is now
trying to speak (gets frustrated because it is not intelligible and is
cursing at the nurses to get the tubes out...

If he is cursing the nurses to remove tube he is definitely feeling
better.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at