my grandpa :o(

Old October 7th 05, 06:25 AM
DrQuilter

Default my grandpa :o(

Had a stroke last night. He has been living with my aunt in Brasil for a
while now, and I haven't seen him for years ( I feel quite guilty
about that. I used to exchange letters with him when I first moved here,
but then we stopped. My uncle heard him breathing differently early
this morning and called the ambulance. Half his body is paralized and he
can't talk. He is sedated now, has warmed up and has some colour, and
we'll know the extent of the brain damage tomorrow.

This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo, and called his wife and
3 daughters by his side a year later.

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 7th 05, 06:49 AM
Mystified One

Tell him while you still have a chance. I spent time with my uncle in June,
and I'm glad I did. We knew he was dying, but I also knew I didn't have the
money to come back to his funeral. I spent the money seeing him while I
still could, and I feel it was ultimately better than just showing up when
he was gone and didn't know me.

Even if it's a phone call or a letter, do something so he knows you love
him. Better yet, tell all of the people that matter to you how you feel
while it's possible. It's far easier to call a relative and tell them
you've always looked up to them than it is to find out they're gone and
you've lost the chance.

:
: This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
: Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
: Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
: raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
: ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo, and called his wife and
: 3 daughters by his side a year later.
:
: From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!
: --
: Dr. Quilter
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mvignali
: (take the dog out for a walk)

Old October 7th 05, 12:21 PM
Kate Dicey

Mystified One wrote:

Tell him while you still have a chance. I spent time with my uncle in June,
and I'm glad I did. We knew he was dying, but I also knew I didn't have the
money to come back to his funeral. I spent the money seeing him while I
still could, and I feel it was ultimately better than just showing up when
he was gone and didn't know me.

I do so agree with this! I'm so glad we saw my MIL before she went.

Even if it's a phone call or a letter, do something so he knows you love
him. Better yet, tell all of the people that matter to you how you feel
while it's possible. It's far easier to call a relative and tell them
you've always looked up to them than it is to find out they're gone and
you've lost the chance.

My dad went in a flash aged 53. there are so many - too many! -things I
wish I had said before he went! We had a good, strong, loving
relationship, but I still want to tell him things!

Meanwhile we will pray that he has a good recovery and that he is there
to hear your loving words, and those of Sofi, for many years to come.
He sounds like an admirable old gentleman.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 7th 05, 01:19 PM
Queen of Squishies

Hugs and prayers, Marissa!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old October 7th 05, 01:33 PM
Carolyn McCarty

So Sorry! Sending prayers and healing thoughts from Tucson to Brasil.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
[...]

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old October 7th 05, 03:00 PM
Patti S

Sorry to hear this...... I truly am. Grandparents are so very, very
special indeed. My thoughts are with your grandpa and all of those who
love him.....

Hugz
Patti in Seattle

Old October 7th 05, 03:41 PM
Taria

I'm so sorry Marissa. Sounds like he has had an exciting life.
Hope there is some good news tomorrow.
Hugs, Taria

DrQuilter wrote:

Had a stroke last night. He has been living with my aunt in Brasil for a
while now, and I haven't seen him for years ( I feel quite guilty
about that. I used to exchange letters with him when I first moved here,
but then we stopped. My uncle heard him breathing differently early
this morning and called the ambulance. Half his body is paralized and he
can't talk. He is sedated now, has warmed up and has some colour, and
we'll know the extent of the brain damage tomorrow.

This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo, and called his wife and
3 daughters by his side a year later.

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!

Old October 7th 05, 03:53 PM
Kim E

Prayers headed yours & his ways.

Kim

Old October 7th 05, 04:24 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

So sorry to hear this. Hope he will recover and be well.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"DrQuilter" wrote in message
[...]

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old October 7th 05, 05:07 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

What a good life he has had. I hope you write to him and tell him how
much you appreciate the love of books he instilled in you.

It's been over 30 years since I called the lady we lived next door to
when I was a child and thanked her for teaching me how to crochet and
told her how I was using her gift to me (craft shows, family, friends,
etc). She cried. No one had ever thanked her for her talent before.
She died shortly thereafter. I was glad I called.

DrQuilter wrote:
Had a stroke last night. He has been living with my aunt in Brasil for a
while now, and I haven't seen him for years ( I feel quite guilty
about that. I used to exchange letters with him when I first moved here,
but then we stopped. My uncle heard him breathing differently early
this morning and called the ambulance. Half his body is paralized and he
can't talk. He is sedated now, has warmed up and has some colour, and
we'll know the extent of the brain damage tomorrow.

This guy is 89, used to sing in the children's choir of the Cathedral in
Seville until his voice changed, then he fought in the Civil War in
Spain, and when he was tortured by Franco's guys in the 50s after
raising money to give Xmas packages to political prisoners he picked up
ad moved first to Buenos Aires, then Montevideo, and called his wife and
3 daughters by his side a year later.

From him I get my love of books... and a lot of stubborness!