How to decide which color goes where???

Old October 6th 05, 03:09 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Mini One wrote:

Sandy Foster wrote in news:invalid-
:

In article ,
Mini One wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in
:

If you are still stuck come join us in the Virtual Quilt Group and
we'll get one of our real experts to talk you through it step by step!
We're all rctq'ers and happy to help anyone having problems.

Where do i find the virtual quilt frame? ;o)

You're already there! g

)

I meant this VQG are they here, too?

Yup! That would be us! LOL!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 6th 05, 03:09 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Anne in CA wrote:

It is a group set up on Yahoo by Cheryl and nzlstar*. Send Jeanne
(nzlstar*) an email and she can help you get set up for it. I see you
are both in the directory :-)

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Mini One wrote:

I meant this VQG are they here, too?

Oops! I guess I got confused with the virtual quilt *frame*! Sorry!

Old October 6th 05, 07:55 PM
Roberta Zollner

7 isn't wrong at all! We need to see the block(s) you're using.
Roberta in D

"Mini One" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in
:

How many fabrics/colors are there? 3 maybe? A light, a medium and a
dark? Just for fun, make some sample blocks using each value in each
possible location (e.g. a light-medium star or whatever against a dark
background, dark-light with med background, etc.) See which ones you
like best. You might even make the twin quilts using the same fabrics
in different value organizations. You might enjoy alternating the same
block with different backgrounds.
Roberta in D

3? Uh... I have seven.... Is that wrong?
But I have to say now that I'm starting to think about placement
seriously,
I'm beginning to think I've choosen the wrong colors.....

Old October 6th 05, 11:36 PM
extremevalues

Your sketch is very nice. I think your fabrics are great too!

Instead of throwing them out, you could just add a few pinks, reds, and
blues to even it out and make it less fall looking.

I see the fabrics this way. One focus - one dark - the brown calico,
two mediums - the rust solid and rust plaid, and two lights the tans.
You could easily add a light blue and pink, and a dark blue and red or
maroon.

You have great contrast built into your drawing. Maybe you could do
dark where the dark is on your drawing on one quilt, and put the lights
there on the other, so they would be reverse of each other. Then you
could put the focus fabric in the large square areas of both quilts.

They are going to be lovely!! And I like the grown up quality of the
fabrics you have chosen for these quilts. Cool!

Remember to have fun!

Carol in TX
Need Therapy? Make a quilt!

Old October 7th 05, 09:46 AM
Roberta Zollner

IMO swap out the dark calico for one with a navy background, and the dark
orange for a dark red in the same value. If you fussy cut the big flowers in
the white piece for the centers of squares, that white will no longer be
your lightest color, and it won't look so white. The creams you didn't post
will probably be the lightest.

If I were doing this, I'd probably make a bunch of the 12" star blocks, one
at a time, using various combinations as long as I liked the result of each
block all by itself. Then I'd start with the design wall, putting various
stars together. Make a bunch of the pinwheels and square-in-square blocks.
You might end up putting in more pinwheels than you have in the sketch. I
think this will turn out to be a very pretty quilt -or 2 or 3!
Roberta in D

"Mini One" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in news:di3ruh$c9$1
@online.de:

7 isn't wrong at all! We need to see the block(s) you're using.
Roberta in D

Ok. Here is the sketch of the quilt. The biggest square is 12 inch. So
each
border square is four inch an the outside sashing is 2 inch thick. that
should give you the over all meaure of about 36 inchs-ish by 40ish. I
wrote
it somewhere....

The fabrics are below.

I wanted to use the white fabric as the focus. It's actually not white but
a creamy non-bleached kind of color and then use lots of different tone
beigy-creams which I haven't posted. Then the other fabrics pictured. But
some how, now the focus fabric is just not matching with the other colors!
I think the light in the store really made me go for orangy fall tones
when
the white fabric seems to now want cooler colors like pink and red &
lilac.... ARGH! (

I really thought this was going to be easy! ;o)

'elp!

http://www.geocities.com/aemilia_bed...?1128629166506

Old October 14th 05, 02:11 PM
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:39:00 -0500, Mini One wrote
(in article ) :

"frood" wrote in

I was thinking of doing different fabrics but in the it was too difficult
for my little brain ;o) (and expensive).
so, I'm going to use the same fabrics & with different placements.

I can't get the quilt in EQ5 because the block sizes are different.

You need to use custom set for that sort of quilt. You may not want to try
and learn it now, but I'd recommend you learn it some time. Fran Gonzelezes
teaches a class on layouts at Quilt University that I recommend and her EQ5
basics book (the pink one) covers custom set as well.

Maureen