Boy's Don't Knit!

Old July 14th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default Boy's Don't Knit!

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
YEARS ago there was a Book in Israel
"LaBat ve gam Laben Lo Yazik Ladaat "
For the Daughter , but also for the Son it wouldn`t hurt to know ..
At those time Teenager books of any kind were quite rare. in one of
the articles/stories The writer tells , that she just could Not knit
thus one year her mother gave her a Birthday present Hidden /rolled
into the wool balls ,,, which she had to knit , to get her present.
And than her Father Helped her ,,, he learned to knit onesummer when
he was in Hospital with a broken leg ....
mirjam

Mirjam, I love the idea of hiding a gift inside a ball of wool for someone
to knit (or crochet) in order to find the gift. What a novel way of getting
someone into yarnwork. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old July 14th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

So I took him some balls of wool and an inkle loom, he'd never even heard
of such a thing - nor had I, it was a friend's. There were no instructions
but he worked it out and made yards and yards of decorative banding which
was very much in demand for straps, leg binders and favours.

Now he makes inkle looms (among lots of other textile equipment). He's the
textile worker in this house - apart from knitting and hand sewing which I
prefer so don't allow him to take it from me.
Mary

Mary, I had never heard of Inkle Weaving before your message. I just
googled it and came up with a few pages, but this one
http://www.inkleweaving.com/notes/loom.html shows a loom, for others who
don't know what one looks like. I am impressed that your husband figured
out how to work that without any instructions... I would still be standing
on my head trying to figure it out. ;o)

*hugs*
Gemini

Old July 15th 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Spike Driver" wrote in message
Mary,

You would not believe how close that story hits home.

I spent 3 weeks at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I never
received a diagnosis, I was told I was an anomaly. My neurological
problem was never completely diagnosed accept for be told I have so many
neurological disorders they can't pick one out to blame things on.

I don't blame the medics, they're not magicians. I'm just pleased that they
know enough to have saved our lives :-)

I learned to knit and crochet many years before Mayo but, your letter made
me laugh, yes you have to laugh for cry. I choose to laugh and enjoy
life, it is good.

Oh yes. When you've been close to death you realise how good life is.

Mary

Old July 15th 07, 12:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

So I took him some balls of wool and an inkle loom, he'd never even heard
of such a thing - nor had I, it was a friend's. There were no
instructions but he worked it out and made yards and yards of decorative
banding which was very much in demand for straps, leg binders and
favours.

Now he makes inkle looms (among lots of other textile equipment). He's
the textile worker in this house - apart from knitting and hand sewing
which I prefer so don't allow him to take it from me.
Mary

Mary, I had never heard of Inkle Weaving before your message. I just
googled it and came up with a few pages, but this one
http://www.inkleweaving.com/notes/loom.html shows a loom, for others who
don't know what one looks like.

Yes, that's a pretty good site, not too complicated. The ones he makes are
small enough to fit in a (large) bag and are very popular with re-enactors
and SCAdians. The length of warp is at least four feet. I apologise for
assuming that everyone here would know about inkle weaving.

I am impressed that your husband figured out how to work that without any
instructions... I would still be standing on my head trying to figure it
out. ;o)

I know, sometimes he makes me sick :-) He can do anything - except computer
stuff. It's nice to have him ask how to do something :-)

Hugs,

Mary

boy's knitting enigma Yarn 21 April 4th 07 01:17 AM
?? Is something knit on a manual knitting machine "hand knit"? Yarn 23 March 14th 06 08:49 PM
Machine knit equivalent to "knit one below" Ian Roberts Machine Knit 2 October 29th 04 12:13 PM
boy's quilts romanyroamer Quilting 5 February 12th 04 04:00 PM
A boy's Doll house Fizbin Doll Houses 6 August 11th 03 03:05 PM