any loom knitting here?

Old July 12th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bricore

Default any loom knitting here?

On Jul 12, 7:30 am, enigma wrote:
B wrote :

I looked at your site, and watched some of your videos,
which are really well done. I just have to wonder, though,
whether knitting with a board is any quicker than with
needles. I realize you probably work much faster when
you're not making a video, but just the process of knitting
off the stitches, not to mention wrapping the pins, looks
like more work than knitting the same number of stitches
the traditional way.

it depends. i can board knit an acrylic scarf *much* faster
than handknitting, because i hate the way acrylic feels on
needles. my almost 7 year old with fine muscle control issues
knits very well on his round knit boards, but struggles with
needles still.
i don't think it's slower, just different.
lee

Lee,
That's so neat that your 7 year old does it with you. My daughter does
from time to time with me (she just turned 8) and my son has but
anymore he wants to do something else

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Old July 12th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bricore

I am sorry on more that I can't forget because I like it so much is
www.knittingboard.com
Free patterns and Lots of good videos to help you along.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson- Hide quoted text -

I love Knittingboard.com. Those ladies are the best. Very helpful and
so darn nice. Right now I am doing a review on one of their newest
boards. I keep calling it a rug loom/board (not like a big floor loom
that you weave with but a double sided board) but that's not what they
are calling it. Heavy Duty knitting board (they call it a board
because you can use top and bottom. Where as a rake has only one side.
I don't know why I am telling you all that. You might already know it
but just incase someone else reads this I guess...lol.. You get double
knits for these. I love them!) I just know that for me the only thing
I am going to make on it is a rug because it's so big. It's also built
to handle tough use so I am really putting it to the test right now.

Oh, I have worked on a board before and knitted and then WEAVED in and
out of it. I'll have to look for my pictures of it because it really
looked pretty neat mixing them up like that. It wasn't easy to do
because my pegs where glued in but it can be done. For me tho, it was
a lot of work so it's not something I'll attach again..lol..

I have weaved the top of the round looms for a weaved close hat or for
bags. That's not that hard to do and it really does turn out neat. My
dear friend Kansas say a GREAT site that shows just how to do it..
Hold on and I'll post that for all of you.
Here it is
http://kansasa.blogspot.com/2006/04/...ag-red-kk.html

Well I better get off here and go get the bunnies brushed out.

Great talking with you all.

This is such a nice group.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Old July 13th 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:28:18 -0700, Bricore
wrote:

.... You get double
knits for these. I love them!) I just know that for me the only thing
I am going to make on it is a rug because it's so big.

That reminds me of another question I had: Does the loom you were
using in your videos produce a double knitted fabric? Otherwise, I
don't understand the need to wrap back and forth from one side to the
other. Also, the finished pieces looked thicker than normal knitting.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old July 13th 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Bricore" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Barbara,
I can't give you an honest answer on this because I can not needle
knit. I can crochet (some. I am faster with a loom then crocheting.
For some reason I seem to tense up when I crochet and I have to force
myself not to), knit on looms, weave, braid, make soap, make
chesses(some), garden (some), cook (some), spin wool, sheer angoras,
ride horses, make butter, trim horse and goats, embroidery, digitize
(ok, I am not good at it but I am learning) and a few other things but
I have never learned to knit on needles.... Ok, a jack of all trades
and a master of none is what you can call me...lol..

I suspect many of us are :-)

Mary

Old July 13th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bricore

wrote:

.... You get double
knits for these. I love them!) I just know that for me the only thing
I am going to make on it is a rug because it's so big.

That reminds me of another question I had: Does the loom you were
using in your videos produce a double knitted fabric? Otherwise, I
don't understand the need to wrap back and forth from one side to the
other. Also, the finished pieces looked thicker than normal knitting.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Hello!
I am not sure which video you were watching but most of those them
on there right now I believe are on round looms. I can't think of any
off hand that are on a board (with top and bottom pegs is what I am
getting to).. Wait a mintue.. I have one it's the one under curry comb
but I still used that as a rake (which gives two different sides. I
only used the bottom row to do that.)
I love making double knits but off hand I can't think of any
video's I have done of it on this new site (I had a few on my old site
but I took that down a while ago.)
My very favorite is the figure 8 stitch. I made the most
wonderful mohair mix into an afghan using that stitch. I have it
pictured in a few different spots.... I think you can see the pillow
and the afghan I made in the back ground. It's so warm (but its VERY
heavy.)
http://bricoreandfamily.blogspot.com...9_archive.html

I bought the yarn at the dollar store. Wonderful yarn but you don't
get much inside of it. It's "Pebbles" something or anything and they
are $1.00 a skein. It took over 53 skeins to do that afghan. I did it
on a figure 8 type of board. Made the nicest double knit.

You can even do cables and boobles on these things. I love to loom
knit (if you can't tell...lol..)

I am sure knittingboard.com has a video to show just how it makes a
double knit. Check out any of the stitches on there site and it should
show you. You have to do top and bottom when you are working a double
knit. Takes more yarn but it's so nice!

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Old July 13th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bricore

On Jul 13, 6:14 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Bricore" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hello Barbara,
I can't give you an honest answer on this because I can not needle
knit. I can crochet (some. I am faster with a loom then crocheting.
For some reason I seem to tense up when I crochet and I have to force
myself not to), knit on looms, weave, braid, make soap, make
chesses(some), garden (some), cook (some), spin wool, sheer angoras,
ride horses, make butter, trim horse and goats, embroidery, digitize
(ok, I am not good at it but I am learning) and a few other things but
I have never learned to knit on needles.... Ok, a jack of all trades
and a master of none is what you can call me...lol..

I suspect many of us are :-)

Mary

Mary,
That makes me feel better. Sometimes I think I have ADD when it
comes to crafts and things like that. I do a little of this and then
some of that and then... I find something new.. Oh, new things.. I get
into trouble every time I see something new... I even have started to
weld this last year..lol..
Buying for me around the holidays is always easy. I love all kinds
of things and always need more supplies..lol..

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

OT..Loom Knitting Flexible Scarf pattern nzlstar* Quilting 8 June 1st 07 01:05 AM
knitting loom things Stella Fenley Yarn 5 March 28th 06 01:22 AM
knitting loom or jig wanted emma J Marketplace 0 October 26th 05 07:47 PM
DIY knitting rake or loom Slinky Yarn 0 June 17th 04 05:34 PM
Source for cheap knitting board/loom for girl scout troop MaryJLind Yarn 9 December 19th 03 06:13 PM