Knitting bug -- OUCH!

Old June 6th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default Knitting bug -- OUCH!

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Okay, I'm knitting this dishcloth in a basketweave pattern (easy enough),

snipped

six rows done already, which, given that they were done twice and I
started yesterday afternoon, is not bad.)

Way to go! I have Fibromyalgia and arthritis, so I often can't knit or
crochet very much even though I really enjoy it.... however, having said
that, I have lately been knitting two to six rows per day on a baby blanket
for a good friend of Matthew's (a young lady he has an interest in who just
had her baby boy on May 28th). I find working on it a few rows each day is
working out for me. It's a simple seed stitch blanket that I am doing
without a pattern in blue, and will be finishing it (because I don't think I
will have enough of the blue otherwise) by crocheting around the edges in
yellow.

By the way, we went to see the newborn baby last Tuesday (the day after he
was born, at 11 lbs) and Matthew got to hold a brand new baby for the very
first time ever. His face lit up and he just couldn't take his eyes off the
baby, and was talking to him quietly the whole time. It was so cute.... and
no, can you believe it, no one took a picture! ( Nevermind, when we go
to see Bobbie-Jo and Carson again (hopefully sometime this week or the
beginning of next week) I will be sure to either take pictures myself or ask
Bobbie-Jo's mother to take a picture with her digital camera so we can get
it on the computer right away, so we will have a picture of Matthew holding
the baby too. After we left the hospital Matthew looked at me and said
"Okay, you were right... *again*... now that I've held a tiny brand new baby
like that, I *do* want to have my own someday!" As my cousin and I both
said, he will make such a good father... and considering the way he felt and
looked holding a baby that isn't even his, he will be in total awe when he
does have his very own brand new baby to hold someday. ;o)

snipped more

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTblu.html

Those are adorable! Thank you for sharing the pattern. )

*hugs*
Gemini

Old June 6th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Aaron Lewis wrote:
snip
If you just need to finish a lot of objects, or want to knit in the most
ergonomic way possible, use a knitting sheath or knitting pouch.
Instructions have been posted in this forum. (However, the more people that
I teach to knit this way, the more I realize that most established knitters
need several hours of lessons to really get the knack of using a knitting
sheath.) I intend to do a video some time this summer.

Keep us posted!

=Tamar
Old June 7th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Okay, I'm knitting this dishcloth in a basketweave pattern (easy
enough), trying to do it the properly and right-handed so I can get
muscle memory into play and then with the next dishcloth I am going to
try learning Continental style, since I read lots of places that
Continental style goes faster (I felt like a centipede trying to do the
two-step trying to do it all at once), and once I started, I felt like
Dale Earnhardt at the starting line, "OH, GOODY! I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS
DISHCLOTH! VROOM VROOM! GET OUTTA MY WAY, I'M COMING THROUGH!" (I have
six rows done already, which, given that they were done twice and I
started yesterday afternoon, is not bad.)

Then I know I said I would make a baby sweater for my neighbor, but in
looking at the patterns you ladies posted and going down a few rabbit
trails, I found something that is MUCH, MUCH better and close to
something I've done before on my knitting machine so it feels MUCH more
comfortable to try, and I know it will be much better received by a
mother of a newborn baby boy (and will still be fine for a girl if her
ultrasound is wrong LOL): their first pair of blue jeans.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTblu.html

I remember when my oldest (a son) got a teeny tiny cowboy outfit with
teeny tiny blue jeans for a birthday or Christmas present, and we were
ecstatic that he had something "REAL BOY" to wear. (When he was
newborn, someone gave us a Wrangler brand denim diaper cover with the
pocket and label on the back, hee hee hee.)

So I'm going to put the sweater on hold. I can see myself making these
little blue jeans and finding a baby vest pattern (shouldn't be too hard
to find) to knit in a tan-colored (hopefully reminiscent of leather)
yarn to make an adorable baby outfit for a little boy (there just aren't
that many around, and there are always cute girl things out there) and
knitting one or two up ahead of time to have them ready if I need them.

Reading about everyone's projects has got me knitting. I'm still at the
casting on stage. This can take a while for me as I tend to play with the
tension, etc., for a bit at this stage. So, have casted on and done three
rows a couple of times. Third time's a charm.

I found a pattern I'd torn out of an old Chatelaine magazine (I think), of
the cutes little romper set. Remember when the little ones had those
"clown-style" pants. They looked so cute. Anyway, am making that. Fairly
simple pattern, in stocking st, with "X" and "O"s in a second colour. The
cardigan is cute too. Might try it if I have enough wool.

A thing I do ... I'm sure everyone already does this ... to ensure, legs and
arms and often sides, fronts and backs come out exactly the same size is to
knit them at the same time on the same needle. So when I say I've started
the pant legs, that's exactly what I've done. Discovered that little trick
when I was making slippers for everyone and then some on Christmas.

Happy knitting!
Murielle

Old June 7th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Jun 8, 5:18 am, "MSey" wrote:
A thing I do ... I'm sure everyone already does this ... to ensure, legs and
arms and often sides, fronts and backs come out exactly the same size is to
knit them at the same time on the same needle. So when I say I've started
the pant legs, that's exactly what I've done. Discovered that little trick
when I was making slippers for everyone and then some on Christmas.

Yup, a great plan especially for smaller items. Don't want to have two
balls of wool on the go? Easy, wind your wool into a centre-pull ball
and knit one from the inside and one from the outside of the ball. I
find it difficult to motivate myself through the second of anything,
so this is alsoa great way to get a pair of anything done.

VP

Old June 7th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 8, 5:18 am, "MSey" wrote:
A thing I do ... I'm sure everyone already does this ... to ensure, legs

and
arms and often sides, fronts and backs come out exactly the same size is

knit them at the same time on the same needle. So when I say I've

started
the pant legs, that's exactly what I've done. Discovered that little

trick
when I was making slippers for everyone and then some on Christmas.

Yup, a great plan especially for smaller items. Don't want to have two
balls of wool on the go? Easy, wind your wool into a centre-pull ball
and knit one from the inside and one from the outside of the ball. (snip)

I've often wondered how one could do that. I don't mind having two balls
going at once though. Knitting with two or more colours got me over that.
;-)

Old June 8th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Jun 8, 9:42 am, "MSey" wrote:
I've often wondered how one could do that. I don't mind having two balls
going at once though. Knitting with two or more colours got me over that.
;-)

Two balls is fine if you've got them (though you do have twice the
temptation for the cat dangling from your work then). Often I only
have one ball of yarn left when I reach the sleeves of a baby outfit
for example and that's when working from both ends of the ball is a
very handy thing indeed.

Old June 8th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

On Jun 8, 9:42 am, "MSey" wrote:
I've often wondered how one could do that. I don't mind having two

balls
going at once though. Knitting with two or more colours got me over

that.
;-)

Two balls is fine if you've got them (though you do have twice the
temptation for the cat dangling from your work then). Often I only
have one ball of yarn left when I reach the sleeves of a baby outfit
for example and that's when working from both ends of the ball is a
very handy thing indeed.

Good point! Didn't think of that. I'm always afraid I won't have enough
wool so tend to buy an extra ball or two. (Not very thrifty, I know.) Do
you have a special gadget that allows you to take the wool from the inside
and outside of the ball at the same time?

Murielle

Old June 8th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Jun 8, 11:54 am, "MSey" wrote:
Do you have a special gadget that allows you to take the wool from the inside
and outside of the ball at the same time?

I use my ball winder (see the link below for an example) to rewind the
ball. because it winds around a core, it's easy to get at the center
thread once you remove it from the winder.

http://knittersreview.com/article_to...e/020822_a.asp

VP

Old June 8th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

On Jun 8, 11:54 am, "MSey" wrote:
Do you have a special gadget that allows you to take the wool from the

inside
and outside of the ball at the same time?

I use my ball winder (see the link below for an example) to rewind the
ball. because it winds around a core, it's easy to get at the center
thread once you remove it from the winder.

http://knittersreview.com/article_to...ofile/020822_a.
asp

VP

Ha! I've never seen one of these things before. I wonder if they have them
at Wal-Mart? ;-))

Murielle

Old June 8th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
MSey

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
On Jun 8, 9:42 am, "MSey" wrote:
[...]

Even with the skeins direct from the store you can pull from both the
inside and outside. If you wind hanks into balls, you can make a center
pull ball without a ball winder.

sue

Really? I tend to wind a lot of balls because I actually prefer knitting
and crocheting from a ball. But I had no idea you could wind a ball by
hand, on your hand, and make it a center pull.

Now I'm wondering how you do it.

Murielle

OUCH Polly S. Beads 6 February 1st 07 04:57 PM
ouch! WitchyStitcher Quilting 50 January 4th 06 06:35 AM
ouch!! [email protected] Yarn 20 October 21st 04 03:08 AM
Mom & Sis/colour - ouch norma woods Yarn 5 December 30th 03 02:56 PM