Moth 'treatment'

Old January 4th 04, 10:43 PM
Bungadora

Default Moth 'treatment'

Well, as my penance for excess, I spent part of this afternoon tangling and
sorting (knitting) yarn. As I unravelled one UFO, I noticed the yarn was
breaking. Uh oh. So I put the whole lot in a box and put it out on the step in
the back yard. I'll take the box in tonight, fool the little ****ers into
thinking it's spring, and then stick them outside again in a couple of days.
Minus 30 weather IS good for some things.

I told my sister about this and she said tapestry yarn is treated to be moth
resistant. Is this true?

Dora
Old January 5th 04, 01:36 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Factually, I have no idea. My instinct from experience, however, tells
me that it would depend upon the manufacturer.

On this subject: Some members of the cricket family can do a LOT of
damage and LOVE clothing of natural fibers, or mixed fibers. It's not
always moths.

Dianne

Old January 6th 04, 01:30 AM
Bungadora

Well, I did a couple of searches and came up with some sites on moths and other
creatures. I haven't specifically found out which yarns are treated. I'll see
what luck I have with specific yarn companies tomorrow. I put in a search for
paternayan and moth, and came up with a few e-bay sites which claimed the yarn
was moth-resistant, but no specific claims by the company itself.

This looks like a good site with additional info on textiles, stain removal,
etc.
http://www.fibreartsonline.com/res/useful/ui_Care.htm

http://www.textival.net/diy_conservation.htm

General info on bugs and some conservation methods

http://www.fernmark.com/why_wool/moth_us.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/FiberHome/WoolBugs.html

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_g/g-316.pdf

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/pests/CarpetBeetles.htm