More fun in Ravensdales shadow :)

Old August 6th 03, 02:13 PM
JSS

Default More fun in Ravensdales shadow :)

I have some very basic questions for the polymer clay artists.

Where does it all go after making it???
Should that even matter??

I sell on Just Beads and eBay. Some goes to friends and family but I just
enjoy making things. Perhaps I should have an overall plan for my work? or
not :-)

I have counted my work so far as part of "clay college" . What should I
focus on now??

Just my thoughts this morning,
Jackie

Go buy some beads!! I have more growing from my table:-)

http://www.justbeads.com/search/sear...auction_mode=0

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50

Old August 6th 03, 02:15 PM
Dawn

I very rarely do a scetch before hand . . .I have visualiztion skills
in my head that even though I rock with pencil and paper 'can't touch
this' the pictures in my mind are much easier to mess with. . .have
been know to work out designs before hand. My most recent work was a
Newfoundland dog sculpture for my pastor who recently lost his dog.
It was my first sculpture that I painted rather than use black clay. .
..my first attempt at fur. . I have covered all my other animals in
flowers. I wanted him (the newfie) to look real. But I did sit in
front of my computer for several hours with the nearly finished
sculpture looking up pics of newfies to see the faces and try to 'make
it right'. . .don't have a pic . . .gave him to my pastor already. .
..but for my first realistic animal he rocked! And I am a tough critic
of my own work. I do research before attempting certain projects.
The computer is part of artist tools. I can look up everything and
anything for size, shape and color reference! Dawn

"PoRRo" wrote in message . ..
Hi all,

Hah, did you REALLY think that the questionare was all I had on my sleave
for this week ? You guessed wrong. I have loved the interaction so far, and
have enjoyed every second of this so lets keep rolling now that we have
started to get the rocks moving. No moss on moving rocks as they say here.

Now its time to share working habbits. That´s the thing I am missing. Are
you ? Okay, I start, I even made a webpage for show and tell how I designed
a necklace I just finished.

http://porro.claymountain.com/fstp.html

So how do you work ? Do you draw sketches ? Do you go onto your clay and mix
colours and go from there ? Make as you go along ? Make from projects ?
Where do you start and how ? What is making you tickle inside enough to
actually make you moving ? We are all different and unique in things, so I
want to hear from everybody.

Please please please.
We can do some of the magic of meeting eachother without actually meeting. I
am sure of it !

PöRRö
***********************************
polyclay art at http://porro.claymountain.com
polyclay book reviews at http://porro.claymountain.com/bookself.html
old webpages at http://www.saunalahti.fi/theporro/

Old August 6th 03, 03:23 PM
Sjpolyclay

So how do you work ? Do you draw sketches ? Do you go onto your clay and mix
colours and go from there ? Make as you go along ? Make from projects ?
Where do you start and how ? What is making you tickle inside enough to
actually make you moving ?

Hi Porro!
I never sketch polyclay stuff on paper, though I do that for textile pieces I
make. I design in my head some, but I also like to put a lot of things around
me and let things sort of design themselves. When I am not feeling creative, I
mix up clays and do color blends, this often "wakes up" the urge for later in
the week or month! I keep all my clay piles covered with Saran with Cling and
they are still fine many months later. I have many, many projects going all at
once, and then work on the one that 1) catches my fancy or 2) has a deadline
attached. There are plastic clamshell boxes available for a very low
price--like 10 for $3 at sciplus.com and these are great for storing half
finished projects---you can still see what's in there and they stack on the
shelf.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 6th 03, 04:26 PM
LynnDel

Sketches? No -- I make as I go along, though sometimes I do sketch
cane ideas. Projects inspire me, but I've never been able to actually
make one. I follow project directions about the same as I follow
cookbook recipes -- have to try this or that differently, and
sometimes it's edible, sometimes it's not, and I definitely can never
duplicate it, because I don't take notes!

What makes me "tickle" is trying something that I imagine (though I
know there is nothing new under the sun) no one else has ever done
exactly the same. Trying to figure out what to do with the leftovers
tickles the imagination, as do workshops and guild meetings.

Having something big and boring hanging over my head (washing windows,
for instance) gets me going on polymer clay. PC is a great avoidance
mechanism!

LynnDel

Old August 11th 03, 08:30 PM
Valerie

I have some very basic questions for the polymer clay artists.

Where does it all go after making it???
Should that even matter??

I sell on Just Beads and eBay. Some goes to friends and family but I just
enjoy making things. Perhaps I should have an overall plan for my work? or
not :-)

I have counted my work so far as part of "clay college" . What should I
focus on now??

Just my thoughts this morning,
Jackie

Go buy some beads!! I have more growing from my table:-)

Hi Jackie! I like this idea of a Ravensdale shadow party!

In answer to your questions...all my stuff goes into jewelry if I don't sell it
on Justbeads. It's also given as gifts for birthdays, holidays, ect.
After "clay college" you focus on LEARNING MORE!! ;-) You can never learn
enough IMO if it's something you like. Take classes, teach classes, show
friends, read (and maybe write) PC books and articles in jewelry mags, watch
Carol Duvall, find inspiration, go out of your "safe" colors and explore new
one's and different combo's.

Thanks for the topic! It's a fun one.

Valerie
Website: http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/index.html

Old August 11th 03, 08:39 PM
Valerie

So how do you work ? Do you draw sketches ? Do you go onto your clay and mix
colours and go from there ? Make as you go along ? Make from projects ?
Where do you start and how ? What is making you tickle inside enough to
actually make you moving ? We are all different and unique in things, so I
want to hear from everybody.

I have a wonderful visual journal that I got from Sooz in rec.crafts.beads. I
sketch ideas and record color combo's in it. It has pictures of flowers that
are alive with color, and pictures of ancient architecture...anything that
could inspire me goes into this journal. Also since I read a lot, I get mental
pictures of what I'm reading that inspire me too.

I rarely make anything from instructions (unless it's to try a new technique),
but I can find inspriation from projects that turn into something entirely
different.

Valerie
Website: http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/index.html

How to mount figures in shadow box Doug Lowe General Crafting 1 June 27th 04 09:09 AM
Ravensdale Shadow party PoRRo Polymer Clay 7 August 14th 03 02:13 PM
OT Story - Me and my shadow EL Beads 2 August 11th 03 08:13 PM
Story - Me and my shadow laura Beads 0 August 11th 03 03:20 AM
More fun in Ravensdales shadow :) JSS Polymer Clay 2 August 6th 03 02:04 PM