Ethiopian fabrics

Old August 8th 11, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default Ethiopian fabrics

A friend of my son is adopting children from Ethiopian. I would like
to make them quilts using both Ethiopian and American fabrics to
symbolize the two cultures. There are many sites available that sell
African fabrics but none of them specify that any of the fabrics are
from Ethiopia. I would rather have cotton without any metallic as I
think it would last longer. My goal is to make twin size quilts they
can use on their beds. Any suggestions?

Susan
Old August 8th 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Susan Laity Price" wrote...
A friend of my son is adopting children from Ethiopian. I would like
to make them quilts using both Ethiopian and American fabrics to
symbolize the two cultures. There are many sites available that sell
African fabrics but none of them specify that any of the fabrics are
from Ethiopia. I would rather have cotton without any metallic as I
think it would last longer. My goal is to make twin size quilts they
can use on their beds. Any suggestions?

Susan

Well, a brave thing to adopt children from a different culture. Anyway, I
didn't find anything in English, but this is an Austrian site:
http://www.habari.at/html/

Go to page 8 of the section 'Meterware' and there you find two Ethiopian
fabrics. I'm not sure if this helps...

U.

Old August 9th 11, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ursula Schrader

"Ursula Schrader" wrote...

"Susan Laity Price" wrote...
A friend of my son is adopting children from Ethiopian. I would like
to make them quilts using both Ethiopian and American fabrics to
symbolize the two cultures. There are many sites available that sell
African fabrics but none of them specify that any of the fabrics are
from Ethiopia. I would rather have cotton without any metallic as I
think it would last longer. My goal is to make twin size quilts they
can use on their beds. Any suggestions?

Susan

Well, a brave thing to adopt children from a different culture. Anyway, I
didn't find anything in English, but this is an Austrian site:
http://www.habari.at/html/

Go to page 8 of the section 'Meterware' and there you find two Ethiopian
fabrics. I'm not sure if this helps...

U.

And I found another one, easier accessible but perhaps not as useful for
Patchwork:
http://www.spoonflower.com/tags/ethiopian

HTH,

U.

Old August 9th 11, 12:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

What a lovely, loving adventure. I don't know Ethiopian fabrics;
furthermore, I don't know what would be classified as American fabrics. Are
there any that are our own? I was thinking maybe gingham is? Didn't get
anywhere at all with that wondering. Please keep us in the loop with your
research; we'd like to be part of your creations. Polly

"Ursula Schrader" wrote in message

"Ursula Schrader" wrote...

"Susan Laity Price" wrote...

Old August 9th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

On 08/08/2011 10:53 AM, Susan Laity Price wrote:
A friend of my son is adopting children from Ethiopian. I would like
to make them quilts using both Ethiopian and American fabrics to
symbolize the two cultures. There are many sites available that sell
African fabrics but none of them specify that any of the fabrics are
from Ethiopia. I would rather have cotton without any metallic as I
think it would last longer. My goal is to make twin size quilts they
can use on their beds. Any suggestions?

Susan

Well, they aren't specifically from Ethiopia, but are a lot of gorgeous
African fabrics at Kallisti Quilts (www.kallistiquilts.com). Michelle
comes to lots of Canadian quilt shows, which is where I met her and her
fabrics.

HTH
Allison
Old August 9th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

You might try www.uniquespool.com. NAAY, of course. I'm sure she would be
happy to steer you to any fabrics of Ethiopian origin, if she carries any.
What a wonderful thing your son is doing & how fun for you to have new
grandchildren!

Pauline
Northern California

Old August 13th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Thanks for all your replies. I emailed a friend presently living in
Ethiopia asking about fabrics. She owns one of my quilts and has seen
enough of my studio to understand what I was asking. She replied that
most Ethiopian fabrics are white with graphic borders, not really
suitable for cutting into small pieces for quilts. She said the
brighter print fabrics found in other parts of Africa are not part of
the Ethiopian culture. The soft white fabric could be used for a
backing but seems like a waste. I think I will purchase one of the
Ethiopian soft white blankets for each child and then make an "I Spy"
quilt for each of them using novelty prints to help them learn
English. The adoption will probably take close to a year so I have
time. I have been planning to make an "I Spy" quilt for my grandson's
first birthday (He is expected to make his arrival this September)
Guess while I have all the novelty prints out I will just make several
quilts and have them on hand. I like making the quilts using 6"
squares and just sashing them together. The original "I Spy" pattern
is cute but everyone seems to appreciate the simpler version just as
much and it is so much quicker to make.

Susan

Oz fabrics Bonnie NJ Quilting 9 September 19th 07 07:58 AM
New Fabrics Elly Quilting 4 September 2nd 07 08:36 PM
Different fabrics Cheryl Isaak Needlework 2 July 1st 06 01:36 PM
Fabrics FS justjoansetc Marketplace 0 May 13th 06 04:38 AM
What Fabrics Everyone is Looking For Diana Curtis Quilting 38 September 22nd 04 03:56 AM