Ot about colors

Old January 25th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Old Houses WAS Ot about colors

I doubt many of us have linoleum any more. There are maybe two
companies making it and it is not cheap. Most people have vinyl in
the kitchen. I have vinyl which looks exactly like wood, even had
people think it is wood till they touched it. It have grain and is
matte and not cheap vinyl, it takes heat very well, and washes up
great.

Once my carpet dies, which is soon, it's coming out and we are going
to have the concrete foundation floor under the carpet stamped and
stained. First they put a coat of cement or whatever it is down, then
it can be stamped with just about any pattern on the planet. You can
get huge squares with texture, or it can look like pebbles or bricks
or tile or whatever. Then I'll be on the hunt for those area rugs not
made in China or by child labor camps. Brazil? I thought someone
here said Brazil.

Old January 25th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Linda D. wrote:
We've had this discussion before., some of us are diehard carpet
lovers, and others are in love with hardwood. I couldn't stand the
dust bunnies when we had hardwood, and it was so damn cold underfoot.

This had nothing to do with a discussion about hardwood floors versus
carpeting. Sarah originally mentioned that she had laminate floors and
would change to hardwood once her children grew up.

But now that we *are* in a discussion, I will add that I have hardwood
flooring in four rooms downstairs and no dust bunnies . . . and I'm not
particularly fastidious. I *did* notice that my daughter had them, and
I kept scratching my head trying to figure out why, since she does seem
to be more careful about cleanliness. I will also mention that my house
is *extremely* dusty. More than normal.

The casserole blew up, hot glass ended up all over her
kitchen and damaged the hardwood floor.

That would have damaged any vinyl or other kitchen type tile as well.
The polyurethane got damaged on my hardwood kitchen floor when we put
the refrigerator in place. It was a simple matter of hand sanding and
recoating those small areas. Vinyl flooring would have been permanently
marred with no fix. That type of explosion might have also damaged some
types of ceramic tile.

Currently I have a rather large area under my piano bench that needs
refinishing. I used heavy wool felt on the bench legs, but it didn't
help. The constant moving, grit getting imbedded in the felt, whatever.
But it's a simple matter to remedy.

In addition to this mess, her 4 yr. old boxer made quite the mess with
his claws on the floor too Mind you, I can only imagine what he
would do to carpet.

Now *that* might really present a problem for hardwood floors. One has
to take into consideration all factors before determining what flooring
to use.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old January 25th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
I doubt many of us have linoleum any more. There are maybe two
companies making it and it is not cheap. Most people have vinyl in
the kitchen. I have vinyl which looks exactly like wood, even had
people think it is wood till they touched it. It have grain and is
matte and not cheap vinyl, it takes heat very well, and washes up
great.

I think you're probably thinking of Pergo. My friend put it in her living
room and if you don't have extremely bright light it does look like wood.
It's very nice and has just enough bounce to make it easy on the feet. You
lay it in interlocking strips, like the new wood floors. It's very easy
care but you must be very careful when it's put down to have the seams
extremely tight. If any water gets under it, it bubbles and picks up.

I'm stuck here with tile over concrete in my kitchen and family room and
it's just too much work, and too much money, to pick that up or I would buy
the Pergo too.

Lucille

Old January 26th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

OK, how's about this one... We have seams in our vinyl that weren't
sealed well enough and are now curling up. One is right by the back
door and the other is (lengthwise) in the middle of the doorway between
the kitchen and dining room. The pieces have curled enough that
careless people trip on them. How does one go about fixing such a thing?

lucretia borgia wrote:
If you spoil a vinyl floor, it is easy to repair. Take a piece of
same flooring, the size of the damage. A VERY sharp craft knife and
having laid it over the blemish, cut through both layers, steadily and
firmly. Remove - take out the damaged piece and insert the newly cut
piece and voila!

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles
Old January 26th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Karen C - California wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

Elizabeth (floor guys come for two more rooms on Monday)

Send them over here when they're done. The linoleum in the kitchen
(which I never liked) buckled when the dishwasher overflowed, and I want
hardwood in there. Or maybe the thing the neighbors got, looks like
hardwood but isn't. Either way, modern linoleum and a 1905 kitchen
don't look right together.

Unless you already have wood under your linoleum and are willing to rip
or have the linoleum ripped out, my guys won't do you any good. They
reinfinish floors, they don't install them.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 26th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:

I doubt many of us have linoleum any more. There are maybe two
companies making it and it is not cheap.

I'm very grateful not to have it any more, but I'm sure that's what I
did have. It had been down for decades and looked it, too!

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 26th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I love your house and would kill to see the downstairs apartment. I have a
ton of room (in theory), but your place is heavenly.

Thank you! That's really nice to hear, because lately it feels like limbo!

And you don't have to kill to see the apartment. I just have to let K.
know so that it's picked up a bit and she doesn't mind if I show it off.
Remind me next time you plan to come down.

I suspect that you actually have more square footage, but mine is cut up
more (more rooms, but smaller) and only has two people instead of four.
One of the houses I looked at was about the same square footage as
this one and all done (that would have been a plus) but was lots of open
space which simply wouldn't have worked for our work rhythms. We each
need to be able to close a door when needed.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 26th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

If I could find the real thing, I'd put linoleum down in the kitchen in a
heartbeat. Otherwise, heavy duty, thick vinyl tiles that can with stand some
abuse.
Cheryl

Google says http://www.messinasflooring.com/

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 26th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Lucille wrote:

I had hardwood floors in my Brooklyn apartment and covered them with carpet
because my 8.5 lb., hyper dog made marks on them with his sharp nails, the
dust bunnies were winning and unless you kept them highly polished and,
therefore, slippery they looked dingy. Even with a floor polisher, I found
it a lot of work.

I lived in a rental apartment and I don't suppose they were the highest
quality wood, but it was too much for me at that time. I think they are
much more attractive than most carpeted areas, but lots of work when you
have a family.

Hmmm. My whole house (except for the kitchen and
bathrooms) is hardwood. Two-thirds of the hardwood is
35ish years old, so it's hardly new, and it has been
through some rough times. I have kids and pets. I
really don't find it to be difficult to keep up with.
I don't keep it polished to a high gloss, but I don't
really perceive that as it being "dingy." I actually
think that all the tiny little scratches and scuffs
give it a nice patina (not big gouges or anything).
And while it does need dust mopping/swiffering/mopping/
whatever on a regular basis, there's just as much
dust going into a carpet. It's just harder to see ;-)
I'd rather dust than vacuum, and I feel better about
how clean one can get a wood floor versus a carpet.
The worst area for me is around the piano bench. I
need to get a rug to put under that, because the
constant back and forth is wearing obvious scuffs
in the floor.
My parents have the same floors and two
dogs (terriers). Even in their case, their floors
look just fine to me.

Best wishes,
Ericka

3rd speech Brian Christiansen Quilting 2 June 24th 05 06:20 PM
peacock colors Julia Altshuler Quilting 27 February 4th 04 04:26 PM
re peacock colors Roberta Zollner Quilting 0 January 27th 04 11:03 AM
Colors NoraBalcer Yarn 4 October 31st 03 02:55 PM
AD: Scrapbooking Products and Partylite Babydi General Crafting 0 August 24th 03 06:30 AM