Sewing Room Accessories

Old August 29th 04, 01:01 PM
Ward

Default Sewing Room Accessories

Hi,

I need some help with ideas for my sewing room, specifically, bookends. I'm
in the process of converting my basement into a sewing room. The shelves
will be going up this week and I need at least 3 sets of bookends.
Naturally I want the bookends to be sewing related. Did a "google" today
on: bookends, sewing room bookends, sewing themed bookends, and sewing room
accessories. No luck. I found great websites with really nice bookends,
but they were all sports / animal / occupation themed with no sewing
occupations. I did think of three that I could make. I already have basic
black metal bookends. The standard kind you find at any office supply
store. A glass jar filled with buttons and a decorative lid could be glued
to the metal base, but then I saw myself pulling that off to play with the
buttons. Next idea was to buy the little doll house sewing room things so I
could create a miniature sewing room on the metal base. I seem to recall
seeing some doll size dress forms at JoAnn's. I could get two, dress them
in fabrics from the scrap stash (not to be confused with my regular fabric
stash), and glue them to the base. Anyone out there have some other ideas
or sources for sewing room themed bookends? Thanks for all your help.

Liz

Old August 29th 04, 02:04 PM
Kate Dicey

Ward wrote:

[...]

Sew some! Use either sewing print fabric (lots in the quilting supply
places), or make stuffed toy type sewing machines and the like. Fill
with clean gravel to give them weight.

Some quilt places have sewing related stuff like this: try eQuilter and
the like.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old August 29th 04, 04:52 PM
MinnieNeedles

the first thing that comes to mind are old irons, you could even use
heavier electric ones from a yard sale or something and clip the cord
off..

Old August 29th 04, 06:46 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I like your ideas. Buy why glue the button jar to the base. Why not
just set it next to the base so you can play with your buttons whenever
you want to.

Also, you could consider filling you jars with fabric and tread snippets
and proceeding as you would with the buttons.

Maureen

Old August 30th 04, 08:40 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Thank you, Maureen!
I was starting to feel really out of the loop - disorganised and clutter
orientated because all I could think of was Bookends? Those use up precious
space! My books are held up by my button bins (and yes - I do play with
them all the time!). The only decorative touches to my room are the posters
and paintings on the wall - and believe me, I'd find a way to stash my stash
there, too if it was feasible!
Next week I'm doing my annual blitskrieg through my room and stash to weed
out the 'trash' and not worth saving bits and pieces. It is a big job and
desperately overdue....Don't worry though 'cause only the truly junk will go
to the dump. Other stuff goes to the local schools (beautiful junk they
call it) and big scraps go to the local Lutheran Ladies quilting circle
where they will be made into quilts for disaster relief 'round the world. I
don't need it and it's only taking up valuable space...
Cynthia

Old August 30th 04, 02:40 PM
Ward

Thanks for the idea. I love the idea of mini bolts of fabric and old irons.
I have to keep my eye open for the old metal irons. A little felt on the
bottom, and they should work!

Liz

Old August 31st 04, 05:47 PM
Donna Gennick

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 08:01:03 -0400, "Ward" wrote:

Hi,
I need some help with ideas for my sewing room, specifically, bookends.
Liz

Hi Liz,
Sorry I can't help with bookend ideas, but if you would like to make a
sewing-themed clock, take a look at the link below. I made one of
these, and it turned out great!

http://www.debbiemumm.com/potm/04/fe...potmcrafts.asp

This isn't my site, of course, just one that I found while looking for
free projcets. Good luck getting your room arranged the way you want
it

Donna G.
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Old August 31st 04, 06:28 PM
Karen Maslowski

This is a great idea. You can make a clock out of almost anything these
days, now that you can buy clockworks inexpensively. My daughter had a
tropical fish-themed room, so we took a dinner plate, drilled a hole in
the exact center (the hardest part of this project), and then she
painted little wooden fish for the hour markings, which we then glued to
the plate. Added the clockworks, and hung it up. It was adorable.

You could do the same thing with sewing implements, and use any kind of
flat surface to make the clock. A fun project!

Karen in Ohio

Old September 1st 04, 01:01 PM
Ward

Oh I like this clock project! I have printed out the instructions and will
give it a shot. Thanks for the inspiration!

Liz