So - what are you stitching

Old June 24th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Liz from Humbug - So - what are you stitching

On 6/23/09 11:21 PM, in article
, "Liz"
wrote:
SNIP

I'm working on a wedding gift for a girl I've known since she was 5
years old.
I stitched something for her older brother and sister when they
graduated from
high school but just didn't feel any inspiration when she graduated.
I'm combining bits
and pieces from several different booklets with a quote that a library
patron brought to us
to identity. In the middle is a quote from Anais Nin: "And the time
came when the risk
to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to
blossom". On each side
will be a white trellis with "climbing rosebuds" climbing up. Along
the top will be a fully bloomed
rose. The trellis came from one book, the rosebuds and viney thing
from another, the rose on top
from yet another and the alphabet from one of my many alphabet books.
I'm using a Light Taupe
32 cnt Lugana that I found in my stash. The finished size will be
right around 10 X 12. I actually called
her mom a few weeks ago to see if Anita has a favorite color rose but
didn't get a call back and didn't
pursue it so I'm doing the roses pinky/red as charted. It was easier
than having to change colors and
then remember which shade was which. :-)

The wedding is this weekend but is a few hours away so the parents of
the bride are having a pot luck
BBQ on August 29 for friends and neighbors who can't make it to the
wedding.

This sounds lovely.

As far as county fairs go, I was going to enter a couple of items but
DH is having a total knee replacement
on July 14 and the day to stand in line to enter items is July 19th.
If I had had my heart set on entering, I would
find a way to do it but . . . . . Now I'm thinking of the stitching
time I'll have when DH is in surgery. Hmmmmm; I
wonder if the surgical waiting room has good lighting??? :-)))
According to his "joint replacement binder", the
procedure should take about three hours. Once I know he's out of
surgery, I'll go down the road to donate plasma (gotta pay those
bills) and then go back to the hospital when I'm done and he should be
waking up a little more. Last time he had
surgery, about 24 years ago, he had a really high threshold so that it
took LOTS of anesthetic to get him out and then
took him a loooooooong time to wake up.
Liz from Humbug

I would bring my own lighting. I've been in more than few surgical waiting
rooms - most have been dim but with plenty of outlets. Best wishes to him.
Bring a simple project as it's not the most restful place to stitch.

Cheryl

Old June 24th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

Default So - what are you stitching

On Jun 24, 7:07�am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 6/23/09 9:35 PM, in article
, "Nancy"

wrote:
On Jun 23, 6:30?pm, NDJoan wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:50?am, Nancy wrote:

I've spent my time cleaning up the yard and the
basement after 4 inches of rain in less than 6 hours
made quite a mess. ?

Ooo, I don't envy you! ?At least you were fairly lucky. ?Make sure you
let everything dry completely! ?I'll be sending good thoughts your
way.....

Joan

Thanks.
Fortunately only a box of old college textbooks, some rags,
and the concrete floor (my parents never finished the
basement) were the only things to get really wet. � I should
have thrown out those textbooks years ago. � So next
garbage day....out they go.

Nancy in Pgh, City of Champions

I wish there was a way to find a new life for my old college texts. Though,
I'm going to find my physics one, it's well annotated and DS is taking
physics next year.

Cheryl- Hide quoted text -

The physics books is one of the ones that bit the dust. That and
a history of civilization. Oh, a number of accumulated jr hi math
books that I never used since I passed on teaching for programming
for an oil company.

Nancy in Pgh, City of Champions
Old June 24th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Liz wrote:
On Jun 23, 3:29 pm, NDJoan wrote:
I'm still working on my stuffed Nativity set. I'm close to finishing
the first side of the 2nd shepherd so, once I finish his other side, I
think all I have left is the 3 wise men and 2 camels! WooHoo!

On a related note, our county fair starts Wed. and I got the pic of
the St. Bernard, "Chill" back from my coworker to enter. I may also
enter one of the Laura Perin SALs I did, haven't decided, and maybe
some peonies, which have *finally* started blooming, about 2 weeks
late.

I'm saving the Nativity set to enter all at once in the "Christmas"
category next year.

Joan

[...]

I LOVE that quote!

Sounds like you think in sampler terms, as I do, when you hear a great
line: I'm gonna make me a sampler of that someday. The latest one was a
couple of weeks ago, when we were enjoying a leisurely dinner with a
musician from Texas. Perfect summer evening, big bottle of wine, and we
were solving the problems of the world. When DH complained about some
political situation, she popped out with, "Paul, cain't fix STUPID."
That's been dancing in my brain ever since!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old June 24th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 6/24/09 7:07 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 6/23/09 9:35 PM, in article
, "Nancy"
wrote:

On Jun 23, 6:30?pm, NDJoan wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:50?am, Nancy wrote:

[...]

We've been going thru old texts as well. Hard to give up some of the
engineering ones, and even my great history refs. All the foreign language
literature - I wouldn't know how to replace some of them - so they're
staying. I actually grabbed DH's graphics text. Great reference on
perspective & architectural drawing. For the science texts -the
physics/mechanicss/thermo/chemistry ones - we kept a bunch. When I took
Anat/Phys & Microbiology a couple of years ago, it was interesting that some
of the college chem references had changed from my day. So, I tend to think
old chem texts (more than 20 years) are probably not worthy save - the basic
ones.

WRT physics - for DS - won't your college physics texts be a bit much?
Personally, I had AP Physics, so when I went to uni, just moved into an
honors section (the school wouldn't exempt you for AP WRT science/eng
majors) - and it was a book by same authors - just harder version. But,
seems to me looking at friends kids high school physics texts they were more
straightforward - and didn't expect you to "know" calculus - so to speak.

I ended up keeping a lot of texts, and grad texts/references, at work. And
used them - nothing like having a handy copy of "Boundary Layer Theory" on
your desk (yuck). But, the old workplace has my stuff conveniently boxed up
- and stored - so eventually I have to get it from them - or they pay me for
the loss. Uh huh.

ellice

Old June 24th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

On Jun 23, 6:30?pm, NDJoan wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:50?am, Nancy wrote:

[...]

Are you kidding - I want my notes. After all, it was the 101 class and I
made tons of notes in that book. If I have my notes with it, even better. I
had such a hard time with what was "happening" (even if the math was easy),
that I drew pictures, made notes on the pictures.....

Old June 24th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

On Jun 23, 6:30?pm, NDJoan wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:50?am, Nancy wrote:

[...]

Ah, ok - I understand. I had such a weird year of physics classes - very
Socratic method - with a brilliant guy - who would travel down to teach 2
days from Brookhaven Institute. Small section - most folks swapped over to
a more traditional prof. OTOH, Arnie would have class meet in the
Rathskellar on campus every so often - and he'd buy the first round!

Ellice

Old June 24th 09, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

On Jun 23, 6:30?pm, NDJoan wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:50?am, Nancy wrote:

[...]

I'd have loved that. In HS, I was a junior taking physics, one of three/four
girls and the only junior. My favorite memory is trying to help one of the
football players do a lab. He just didn't get friction generating heat. I
gave him an "Indian sunburn".

Old June 24th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

On Jun 23, 6:30?pm, NDJoan wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:50?am, Nancy wrote:

[...]

LOL - great example. In HS, our AP Physics guy had a rather open attitude.
Plus, I went to a rather experimental (for its first year) HS. Anyhow, our
labs had to be done the week of the lab - turned in before the next week.
IIRC, they were usually a 3-hr lab session, with possible additional time
needed. But, to get credit the deal was that when you were done with that
terms units, you dud a quite lengthy open book exam. Not too bad (hah) -
but in order to finish you had a private oral exam with the prof. There
were only about 10 of us in the class (no seniors that year in the school,
so only juniors doing AP Physics is a small number). Being a great
procrastinator, as were some of my friends, we ended up with the last 2
weeks of school essentially taking over one of the study rooms in the
science wing, and were up there all the time - whatever free slots we had.
Split up the units so each of use were responsible, or maybe 2 of us, for
the big test. Then we'd have to go over it with the whole crew - so that
each could do their oral with Dr. D. I of course was the worst - I think I
had 4 or 5 units to do (our school year was broken into quinmesters, 5 ~6
week terms, plus optional summer to get a 6th unit for the full AP
coverage), most everyone had 3 at least. It was a riot. Thing was, that if
you didn't complete during the "normal" time, then just an asterisk for
credit not yet received was on the grade report. I remember doing my last
oral with Dr. D, right at the end of time - and him telling me that he
actually didn't think I'd get it all done - until I'd finished the 3rd exam
meeting! I guess that was good prep for my weird college class. In
college, honestly, it was a very difficult class - but sparked lots of
discussions, and I had a great study partner. But, our boards would be
covered with all kinds of arcane math and diagrams. The prof, famous for
his falling down pants, Einstein like hair, cigarette trailing from his
mouth, and hippie sandals (but he had a really cute son that was a senior in
the music school), would have us work at the board a lot, and well, Socratic
method meant lots of questions. Anyhow, the class after ours was soemthing
like rocks for jocks - maybe it was "stars for gazing" (as in we know no
math and don't do science but need a science elective). They would come in,
and we'd still be at the board (students) - the incoming class would look
stunned and ask us what the heck we were doing - they thought we were
brilliant. Of course, we were idiots and struggling with physics.
Nonetheless, some vector language, and integral signs were pretty
impressive.

ellice

Old June 24th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

On 6/24/09 10:49 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 6/24/09 10:33 AM, in article ,
"ellice"
wrote:

On 6/24/09 7:07 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 6/23/09 9:35 PM, in article
,
"Nancy"
wrote:

On Jun 23, 6:30?pm, NDJoan wrote:
On Jun 23, 7:50?am, Nancy wrote:

[...]

That last part reminded me of a girl, a fellow senior, that I tutored (to
get to a C since the idiot took it pass fail) in Astronomy 101. No math,
easy, easy, 8th grade level astronomy. She was bloody hopeless. Thank
goodness she had a trust fund, I can't imagine how she would support herself
if she needed to be someplace every day. She couldn't make class
(afternoons), labs (2x at night during the semester or to study sessions if
it wasn't at the college bar late night eatery.... Half the time she
wondered why we cared what the moon was made of or the the sun was hydrogen
fueled.

Old June 24th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan

On Jun 23, 6:23*pm, Gillian Murray wrote:

Don't you also need to bring in Noah with the Nativity, then you could
have two of every animal. I am sure you have time.

HA! Need I remind you that, unlike *some* of you, I am not yet
retired! And I will *truly* be amazed if I do have them all done and
finished-finished (you know what I mean!) by then.

Also, iirc, Noah was just a *bit* before Jesus' time! LOL

Been Stitching Away! alicia in Hawaii Needlework 0 June 15th 08 10:08 PM
New stitching tip Joan E. Needlework 1 May 19th 08 05:53 PM
What we're stitching now... Jere Williams Needlework 275 April 22nd 06 08:04 PM
what we're stitching now Jere Williams Needlework 2 November 9th 05 11:16 AM
Stitching Over 1 Tia Mary Needlework 5 August 22nd 05 05:36 AM