OT - The Greatest Disaster the World Has Ever Known.

Old December 31st 04, 06:03 PM
Kalera Stratton

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from eads
(Cheryl) :

]I'm tired of being the world's charity organization...
]Charity begins at HOME...

yes, indeed it should.

]India has had nearly a century to modernize - and got a good start from the
]British -- they have the means to get where we are today - if they would work
]at it like the American people did.

yes, but they also have a completely different culture than what we
had. and they're doing a VERY good job of taking our jobs at the
moment.

India started with a high population, which British occupation did
nothing about, Had they been sensible, like the Americans, they would
have slaughtered all the natives so they could start with a population
vaccuum into which to grow. Instead, they withdrew and left the natives
to rebuild after a century of opression.

Had India been left alone, they would indeed have had the chance to
progress at a normal rate. They were stunted by occupation.

Of course, had they established a nice middle-class technology-based
economy, the US would probably have sanctioned them back into the third
world, anyway.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old December 31st 04, 06:09 PM
Kalera Stratton

I have simply marked this thread as read because it is far too emotional
to me; however, I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who shares my
belief that giving and helping just because you can is part of that
which feeds our spirits.

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
Old December 31st 04, 07:30 PM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:
India has had nearly a century to modernize - and got a good start from

the
British -- they have the means to get where we are today - if they would

work
at it like the American people did.

I'm sure that the British would have done a much better job, like
America, had they butchered the natives and been able to start with a
clean slate.

The people who had first contact with the native population WERE British,
and French and Spanish.

Americans don't have some sort of exclusive claim, genetic imbalance,
cultural bias or other individual condition that makes them the world's
enslavers, butchers, racists or anything else. There's a LOT of history out
there that isn't taught that should be.

The people who butchered the natives in many countries weren't foreign
interlopers, they were the people next door, and still are. It's easy to
point the finger at America for the treatment of the indigenous population,
and yes, it was wrong and it was horrible but it's also something that
doesn't happen in the way it did in the US, certainly not the way it does in
many, many other places today.

We can at least say in the US that we've learned a bit from history, there
are countries out there that are repeating it on a daily basis. Genocide
isn't a problem of the past, it's a current issue. The problem is that the
places where it happens are not of interest to the developed countries
because there are no resources to exploit.

If Hussein had been the head of many other countries with no oil or other
resources, he'd still be in power, and the UN wouldn't do any more to him
than they do to Mugabe or any other head of state where genocide is a way of
life.

-Su

Old December 31st 04, 08:31 PM
Arondelle

Kalera Stratton wrote:
I'm sure that the British would have done a much better job, like
America, had they butchered the natives and been able to start with a
clean slate.

Ouch. And I was trying to be nice....

Arondelle
To email me, empty the pond with a net

Old December 31st 04, 11:39 PM
Marisa Cappetta

yes, but they also have a completely different culture than what we
had. and they're doing a VERY good job of taking our jobs at the
moment.

Taking? Corporations are sending the jobs. Heaven help big business if these
workers start to form unions. Cheap lobour will disappear and then the
already eroding middle class of 'modern' countries will erode even further
as the playing field levels. When that happens there will be a gearing up in
shift in the political and economic balance that I can see happening now.
It suits government and business to have you believe that third world
countries are 'taking jobs'. It's the Zaphod Beeblbrox philosophy of
politics - it distracts you from what is actually going on. There is no such
thing as continued Status Quo. Look at Russia - the last 100 years is a
micro-history of the global condition since we first stood on our hind legs.
The USA has been a strong economic and politcal force in the last 75 years
or so. It seems like forever but realistically, that's all it is. Before
that it was Britain. Spain, Egypt, Byzantium, Incans and so forth have had
their day. We can bitch, carp and moan all we like about change, but it's
inevitable. China has been the sleeping economic giant that is now
awakening. Japan, the economic miracle of the latter half of the 20th
centuary, is seeing the first cracks. Globally we're on the leading edge of
change. It's all very interesting, is it not?

As for terrorism, all races and religions are guilty. Just because it
happened in the past does not excuse it. The Native American. The Australian
Aboriginals (did you know that the original Tasmanians were completely wiped
out - is this not genocide?). The Maori. The Crusades. The Moors. The
Romans. The Vandals. The Visigoths. To name a few. Depending on which side
of the struggle you were on, you were either the innocent victim, the
saviour of your creed or the oppressor. I feel for families on both sides
who have lost loved ones. I wish it would all stop. But I'm realistic enough
to know that the struggle has been waging back and forth for centuries. It's
the ugly side of being human and will continue as long as it is in our
nature to colonise. From what I see, it still is. We're a complicated
species.

I once read, "Better a small help early, than a large help late." I'll
continue to sponsor my child in some kind of effort to reach across the
globe and join hands with my fellow human. BTW, I once heard that, in terms
of DNA, if we were dogs, we'd all be the same breed, that's how closely
related we all are. Black, white, whatever, it's equivilant to the number of
spots on a dalmation in terms of our difference from each other.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
www.galleryvittoria.com

Old January 1st 05, 12:14 AM
Dr. Sooz

~~~**shrug** i did. but then your concerns about lack of birth control
and lack of environmental concerns [which are also valid] seem to be
different than my concern that contributions might end up buying
Kalishnakovs instead of going to disaster relief.~~~

??? How so? Environmentalists have a long tradition of being
peaceniks too, you know.

Oh, I see -- maybe it's because I'm Russian and I'd be happy that "my
people" are getting money in exchange for their weapons? Haw haw haw!!!

Old January 1st 05, 12:15 AM
Dr. Sooz

~~~Arondelle, I think it's a very reasonable thing for the parent of
someone
in military service "fighting terrorism", to ask if Muslim charities
could
be supporting terrorism. It's less "prejudice" than looking out for
their
children's lives.~~~
Oh my god -- I didn't know Jamie was overseas now. Is that true?

Old January 1st 05, 12:19 AM
Dr. Sooz

~~~~You did sound like you were attacking Vicki, but that's
not a thing you would do, and I'm glad it wasn't your intent.~~~~
Went back. Read the post. Still see no attack.

Old January 1st 05, 02:04 AM
melinda

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Christina Peterson"
:

]Arondelle, I think it's a very reasonable thing for the parent of someone
]in military service "fighting terrorism", to ask if Muslim charities could
]be supporting terrorism. It's less "prejudice" than looking out for their
]children's lives. You did sound like you were attacking Vicki, but that's
]not a thing you would do, and I'm glad it wasn't your intent.

thanks, Tina. i think for me, concern for the kids in the military is
always up near the top of the list. but there's also a civil war
going on in Sri Lanka. and even within our own borders, we know how
easy it is to siphon money off for other causes under one umbrella
organization. even the UN isn't sacrosanct, what with the
investigations into the 'oil for food' program. there's a legitimate
concern about charities in many nations, unfortunately. and my
concern was partly for people who might unwittingly wind up in trouble
with our own government for sending a contribution to an organization
they have on one of their lists. it's such a muddle. and my post
said i didn't want to start an argument -- it was just something i
wondered about. the LAST thing i need is to be accused of supporting
a terrorist organization at this point! i honestly thought there
might be a public list somewhere to look at.

The civil war in Sri Lanka has caused some rather unique problems for
the rescuers, etc. Apparetly the tsunami washed loose land mines and
old unexploded ordinace.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

World On A String -- Movie About Beads David Friedberg Beads 1 November 3rd 04 06:28 AM
How in the world ? scott Beads 37 September 26th 04 03:54 AM
Bizarro World OT Story from Sooz Dr. Sooz Beads 13 April 8th 04 12:01 AM
AD-National Bead Society - World Bead Day Festival Charlotte, NC Sept. 27-28, 2003 Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 0 September 18th 03 07:45 PM
AD-Charlotte, NC Sept. 27-28, 2003 National Bead Society - World Bead Day Festival Phineas T Beadd Director National Bead Society Beads 2 September 12th 03 01:44 PM