Paternayan yarn numbers

Old September 2nd 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
elderberry22

Default Paternayan yarn numbers

Hi, I am thinking about making the pattern "Tinkle, a Cat" from the
book by Brande Ormond, _American Primitives in Needlepoint_. But when
I look at the Paternayan yarn numbers, they are so different! This
calls for quite a lot of Dark Red #201, but when I look at color
charts, 201 is quite a shade of grey! Is there any way to convert
these numbers? I have googled it and had no luck at all.

Old September 2nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

You aren't mixing up Paterna and Paternayan are you? One's British, the
other American. Most of the colors are the same, but some are
different.
Dora

Old September 2nd 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
elderberry22

elderberry22 wrote:
Hi, I am thinking about making the pattern "Tinkle, a Cat" from the
book by Brande Ormond, _American Primitives in Needlepoint_. But when
I look at the Paternayan yarn numbers, they are so different! This
calls for quite a lot of Dark Red #201, but when I look at color
charts, 201 is quite a shade of grey! Is there any way to convert
these numbers? I have googled it and had no luck at all.

It's an American book & I'm _pretty_ sure it says Paternayan for the
yarn. Will check.
-----------------------
Yes, Paternayan. but like I said, when I look at the color charts
online, some of the colors aren't even there, and the ones that are,
are just different. Gray, instead of red. that kind of thing.

Old September 2nd 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

elderberry22 wrote:

Hi, I am thinking about making the pattern "Tinkle, a Cat" from the
book by Brande Ormond, _American Primitives in Needlepoint_. But when
I look at the Paternayan yarn numbers, they are so different! This
calls for quite a lot of Dark Red #201, but when I look at color
charts, 201 is quite a shade of grey! Is there any way to convert
these numbers? I have googled it and had no luck at all.

It's an American book & I'm _pretty_ sure it says Paternayan for the
yarn. Will check.
-----------------------
Yes, Paternayan. but like I said, when I look at the color charts
online, some of the colors aren't even there, and the ones that are,
are just different. Gray, instead of red. that kind of thing.

Perhaps the publisher mixed the lines up somehow. Might be worth
checking out a Paterna color chart just in case.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old September 2nd 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

I did a bit more research.
Your book was published in 1977. Paternayan colors changed some time in
the 1980's I think, so you should be looking for a conversion chart of
the old to new Paternayan colors. From what I've read the company never
issued a conversion chart although I think there were conversion charts
published by other parties. Some magazine called Needlepoint News
published one, according to a google of this group.
Dora

Old September 3rd 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

As a followup, the only reference I have been able to find to a
conversion chart was Needlepoint News, March-April 1982. Otherwise a
google search suggested contacting JCA. Their website is
http://www.jcacrafts.com/index.php/

I think I'll do some needlepoint now.
Dora

Old September 3rd 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
elderberry22

bungadora wrote:
As a followup, the only reference I have been able to find to a
conversion chart was Needlepoint News, March-April 1982. Otherwise a
google search suggested contacting JCA. Their website is
http://www.jcacrafts.com/index.php/

I think I'll do some needlepoint now.
Dora

Thank you VERY MUCH. I was able to buy a copy of this magazine on
eBay. Now if I can just figure out how much yarn, I will be set.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

Glad to help. I might contact JCA myself, just to find out whether
they ever produced their own conversion chart. Some of the comments on
google seemed to indicate that they did not. Kind of odd it isn't
easier to find.

Dora
http://www.picturetrail.com/bungadora

Old September 5th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

bungadora wrote:
Glad to help. I might contact JCA myself, just to find out whether
they ever produced their own conversion chart.

I have a paper chart of the US Paternayan yarns dated about 1990. The
back page has the conversion from OLD Paternayan to NEW Paternayan.
This paper chart is not handy or I would scan it and email the scan.
But it did originate with JCA.

And the difference between US Paternayan and UK Paterna is that some of
those lovely colours that used to be available in the US are still
available in the UK. The UK have different numbers and no comparison
is perfect--I got a shade card from Sew Exciting in the UK for a
reasonable sum.

Good luck with the needlework--Irene

Old September 6th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susanne Hackbarth

What luck! I was hoping to find someone on this newsgroup that might know if
these Paternayan numbers have changed. I was looking for #520, for an OLD
1976 project I am working on. No. 520 is a Teal Blue shade now and the color
I need is green, which looks like #630. Thank you! This project is one of
3 President's wives; Martha Washington, Julia Tyler and Sara Jackson, from a
McCall's magazine.

Susanne

ps.com...

Dealing with left over yarn Yarn 31 January 19th 05 08:15 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 04:09 PM
Frizelle Olympe "34" yarn SlinkyToy Yarn 0 September 22nd 03 02:30 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM
Yarn Substitution SlinkyToy Yarn 5 August 23rd 03 06:34 AM