Socks

Old November 26th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Juno B

Default Socks

Hi all,
I'm back to tell you that my friend came over on Monday and got me
started on 4 needle socks. She had taken me shopping for new yarn and
larger needles first. Once she showed me how to get going, everything
fell into place.She said she thought the woman in the yarn shop steered
me wrong on what to buy. She tried using my original yarn and needles
and said she, who is an experienced sock and mitten maker, was having
trouble. When spring comes and I return to Cape Cod I'll tell the woman
in the yarn shop out there that I was unhappy with her service and as a
result she has lost someone who would have been a frequent and good
customer.I'll do my shopping here at home first and bring my projects
with me when I go to Cape Cod.
Hugs to all,
Juno
Old November 27th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Nov 26, 7:58*pm, Juno B wrote:
Hi all,
I'm back to tell you that my friend came over on Monday and got me
started on 4 needle socks. She had taken me shopping for new yarn and

This are GOOD News , Juno !!!
now i am amxious to hear/read how your socks develop ?
mirjam
Old November 27th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Grub

On Nov 26, 10:58*am, Juno B wrote:
Hi all,
I'm back to tell you that my friend came over on Monday and got me
started on 4 needle socks. She had taken me shopping for new yarn and
larger needles first. Once she showed me how to get going, everything
fell into place.She said she thought the woman in the yarn shop steered
me wrong on what to buy. She tried using my original yarn and needles
and said she, who is an experienced sock and mitten maker, was having
trouble. When *spring comes and I return to Cape Cod I'll tell the woman
in the yarn shop out there that I was unhappy with her service and as a
result she has lost someone who would have been a frequent and good
customer.I'll do my shopping here at home first and bring my projects
with me when I go to Cape Cod.
Hugs to all,
Juno

Juno, the woman in the yarn shop in all probability suggested what
worked best for her. Why not first tell her what sort of difficulties
you had and see if you can figure out why? Maybe she holds her yarn
completely different -- etc.

Good luck with the socks.
Old November 27th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Juno B

Grub wrote:

Juno, the woman in the yarn shop in all probability suggested what
worked best for her. Why not first tell her what sort of difficulties
you had and see if you can figure out why? Maybe she holds her yarn
completely different -- etc.

Good luck with the socks.

Usually I give people the benefit of the doubt. Not this time. I'm a
very easy going person and don't get annoyed with people. Her attitude
was one of get what you want and leave I have real customers here. I
should have left but I really wanted to try to make the socks. I
explained that I hadn't knitted in many years and needed some guidance.
She wasn't about to be bothered.
Juno
Old November 28th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Nov 26, 12:58*pm, Juno B wrote:
Hi all,
I'm back to tell you that my friend came over on Monday and got me
started on 4 needle socks. She had taken me shopping for new yarn and
larger needles first. Once she showed me how to get going, everything
fell into place.She said she thought the woman in the yarn shop steered
me wrong on what to buy. She tried using my original yarn and needles
and said she, who is an experienced sock and mitten maker, was having
trouble. When *spring comes and I return to Cape Cod I'll tell the woman
in the yarn shop out there that I was unhappy with her service and as a
result she has lost someone who would have been a frequent and good
customer.I'll do my shopping here at home first and bring my projects
with me when I go to Cape Cod.

Sounds as though you have gotten things sorted out now, Juno.
Good to hear!
Can you tell us what yarn and needles were first recommended and
what ones you ended up using?

Higs,
Katherine

Old November 28th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Juno B

Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
[...]

I started out with this yarn:
http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/S...c_Colors.shtml
and #2 needles. Now I'm using a worsted weight and # 4 needles. On my
next pair I'll probably try #3 needles.Someday I hope to go back to the
original yarn and see what I can do with bit. I'm getting my knitting
feel back and feel more comfortable with them every time I pick up my
project to work on it.
Hugs,
Juno
Old November 28th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda D.

On Nov 27, 8:17*pm, Juno B wrote:
I started out with this yarn:http://www.woolneedlework.com/Yarn/S...c_Colors.shtml
and #2 needles. Now I'm using a worsted weight and # 4 needles. On my
next pair I'll probably try #3 needles.Someday I hope to go back to the
original yarn and see what I can do with bit. I'm getting my knitting
feel back and feel more comfortable with them *every time I pick up my
project to work on it.
Hugs,
Juno

Hi Juno,

I can understand your frustration, but I have to say the clerk did
give you good advice. My first pair of socks were made with that
exact same yarn in colour 927, and I used 2.25 mm needles. I love the
socks, and they fit perfectly. Unfortunately, it appears the yarn may
have been too fine for you, and if you do return to the shop you can
tell the clerk that you had better success with a heavier yarn and
larger needles. I'm sure she will appreciate the feedback.

take care, Linda D. in B.C., Canada

Old November 28th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB[_2_]

Juno B wrote:
Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
[...]

Hi Juno! I made my first socks last year and read and was given the
suggestion to use worsted weight yarn for my "Sample Socks" as I had only
used double points to finish the tops of baby hats. This worked well for me
as It gave me a good sense of how a sock is put together....those socks I
wear around the house. My next pair I used a DK weight yarn with size 3
needles and those came out great for boots. Now I am on my 3 pair using
sock weight yarn with size 1 1/2 needles for the top part and size 1 for the
heel because I have narrow heels and that seems to work the best. It did
take a while to get used to the smaller needles but now a size 3 seems big

Take care and happy knitting!
Donna

Old November 28th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Juno B

DAB wrote:
Juno B wrote:
Katherine wrote:
On Nov 26, 12:58 pm, Juno B wrote:
[...]

Thanks Donna, I appreciate all your information and help. I know sock
making is a matter of preference for yarn and needle size and I have to
work at it. Right now I'm trying to get socks made for my granddaughters
who prefer socks to slippers around the house.I think most children
prefer socks . My preference is bare feet but that get cold in the
winter so I usually wear socks. I only like very thin ones in shoes.
Everyone has been so helpful and I really appreciate it.
Juno

As a socks Manufacturer in the sock capital of the world, We export Sports Socks, Dress soxmaker Yarn 0 September 15th 07 09:21 AM
Those Lithuanian socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book spampot Yarn 1 September 29th 06 05:38 AM
My first socks Ria Van de Velde Yarn 5 January 8th 04 11:19 AM
Socks bug hit here :-))) Anna MCM Yarn 9 November 27th 03 04:21 PM
Socks help Kirsten Procter Yarn 6 October 28th 03 01:38 PM