Machine Quilt?

Old August 31st 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Machine Quilt?

I have to say my hand stitches are not going to win any awards.
The floor hoop works for me. It swivels and that helps. I also have a
simple oval that is about 19"x 11" and it is really easy to work with
and really portable. The more you do the better your stitches will
get. If you aren't in a hurry and do a little work every day sooner or
later you will get it done. Hand quilting on hand pieced work seems to
be easier than machine pieced work.
Taria

Mika wrote:

I'm going to quilt it myself. I guess my thoughts in asking was kind of like
this. I'm not very good with the stitching yet. My stitches are often uneven
and vary in the number per inch. Yes I am very much a beginner in hand
piecing. I was wondering about the durability of machine quilting vs hand
quilting since I'm not really very good with the piecing yet. I tried to
hand quilt on a frame and just could not get the hang of it. I'm left-handed
and it was so uncomfortable. I haven't tried with a hoop so that may be an
option for handquilting and may be a great way to learn. Who knows. :-)

Hugs,
Mika
Queen of PaperPiece Klutzdom

Old August 31st 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sandy and Mika:
I do not see what difference it makes if the quilter is
left or right handed. In either case, there will be
some awkwardness, some problems going in strange
directions, and so on. Going 'backwards' across the
quilt is not easy for most people, but like anything,
some people can adapt sooner/better than others! This
rightie is NOT one of those people, so I like my hoop
that swivels!
PAT in VA/USA

Sandy wrote:

In article ,
"Mika" wrote:

..
I'm going to quilt it myself. I guess my thoughts in asking was kind of like
this. I'm not very good with the stitching yet. My stitches are often uneven
and vary in the number per inch. Yes I am very much a beginner in hand
piecing. I was wondering about the durability of machine quilting vs hand
quilting since I'm not really very good with the piecing yet. I tried to
hand quilt on a frame and just could not get the hang of it. I'm left-handed
and it was so uncomfortable. I haven't tried with a hoop so that may be an
option for handquilting and may be a great way to learn. Who knows. :-)

Hugs,
Mika
Queen of PaperPiece Klutzdom

Mika, I'm left-handed, too. I've hand quilted a couple of times on a
frame, and I agree that it's tricky at first; I never did get the hang
of quilting in directions that weren't "normal" for me! G However,
quilting in a hoop eliminates all of that, since you can turn the hoop
in order to stitch in a comfortable direction (i.e., top left to bottom
right, etc.).

Old August 31st 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Sandy and Mika:
I do not see what difference it makes if the quilter is
left or right handed. In either case, there will be
some awkwardness, some problems going in strange
directions, and so on. Going 'backwards' across the
quilt is not easy for most people, but like anything,
some people can adapt sooner/better than others! This
rightie is NOT one of those people, so I like my hoop
that swivels!
PAT in VA/USA

Pat, I wasn't very clear, as I also don't see that there's a difference
when quilting on a frame -- either right-handed or left-handed will need
some experience/practice. G Like you, I prefer my swiveling hoop!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 31st 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Elly

On Aug 29, 3:34 am, "Mika" wrote:
Hi Everyone. I finally got a few minutes of quiet to pop in and check on
everyone. I hope ya'll are all doing ok. I think about ya'll everyday and
tell myself that I will make time to pop in for a visit. Just as I sit down
to the puter, the toddler wakes up or decides he's hungry or something. So I
haven't had much time to post lately. He keeps me hopping and on days that I
have both toddlers, well, I just don't get much of anything done. Oh and we
just found out that Grandbaby #5 will be making an appearance in about 7
months.

Anyway, to my question. Some of you may remember that when I first started
quilting again a few years ago, I started with a Tumbling Block. I got a few
blocks done and have worked on it sporadically over the years. Then a few
months ago I drug it out again and decided to hand piece the blocks. I've
actually begun to enjoy hand piecing them. I'm nowhere near finished with it
but I've been pondering how I want to quilt it when it's done. I don't think
I want to even attempt handquilting it. So what do you all think about
machine quilting a hand pieced quilt? Has anyone done this? I'm curious to
know everyone's opinion on machine quilting vs handquilting a hand pieced
quilt.

--
Hugs,
Mika
Queen of PaperPiece Klutzdom

I'm inclined to agree with Julia in MN. It's your quilt. You could
also machine a lot of it then add a little hand quilting if you feel
like it. The main thing is to enjoy whatever you're going to do.
Otherwise what's the point in doing it. There's enough in life you
have to do with out doing things you don't. .. Elly

mid-arm quilt machine Ms P Quilting 4 May 16th 07 03:27 AM
need machine to take to quilt class PatScott Quilting 12 March 17th 06 04:29 AM
Quilt Machine and Frame Mika Quilting 12 January 20th 06 04:44 AM
Machine Quilt Show Denise G. Quilting 5 March 9th 04 08:32 AM
Quilt Machine???? kathy's newsgroup Quilting 7 February 27th 04 11:54 AM