Twisted cord untwists

Old February 20th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Helen ST

Default Twisted cord untwists

Hi all

I have been working through the following pattern for a pair of lovely
little bee booties and matching hat: http://www.magknits.com/Jan06/patterns/bee.htm

My problem is with making the twisted cord for the top of the hat - I
have tried following the instructions on the pattern but the cords
simply untwist again after tying the knots. Can anybody help me out,
or point me at some clearer instructions (preferably with pictures)
for making such cords, or even suggest an alternative type of cord
that could be used? I'm quite new to knitting and have never had to
make a cord before.

Many thanks
Helen

Old February 20th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

It's been a long time since I've done this, but my recollection is: you
twist and twist and twist (etc.), and eventually, your twisted cord folds
itself in the middle and twists about itself (magically, it seems). At that
point, you can tie the ends, and it will stay twisted.

At least, that's how I remember it, Johnny...

Georgia

oups.com...

Old February 20th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

"Helen ST" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

I have been working through the following pattern for a pair of
lovely little bee booties and matching hat:

http://www.magknits.com/Jan06/patterns/bee.htm

My problem is with making the twisted cord for the top of the hat -
I have tried following the instructions on the pattern but the cords
simply untwist again after tying the knots. Can anybody help me out,
or point me at some clearer instructions (preferably with pictures)
for making such cords, or even suggest an alternative type of cord
that could be used? I'm quite new to knitting and have never had to
make a cord before.

Many thanks
Helen

That is my way too, Georgia.

There is usually a handy door handle to hang one end over before you
start twisting the yarn.

Helen, you may find the website at
http://www.tbramsden.co.uk/html/lkc_twisted_cord.html
quite helpful. I found it was the clearest at explaining how.

Bernadette

Old February 20th 07, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Helen ST

--

Thank you both for the replies. The website confirmed that I was on
vaguely the right track, the trouble is that if I am initially

The pictures that go with the pattern show a group of black strands
intertwined with a group of yellow strands, rather than the two being
mixed up, and the pattern seems to indicate halving the cord once it
has been doubled up, and ending up with tassels and knots at each end
of each cord - but I can't seem to do this without losing the twist. I
hope it's clear what my problem is and what I'm trying to do, perhaps
I am just having one of those days when I'm not getting it!

By the way, I discovered that if there isn't a suitable hook or door
handle for this, toes are very useful indeed!

Helen

Old February 20th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

What happens if you tie your yarns so that half the length of your initial
piece is yellow, and half is black (i.e., there is a knot in the middle). Do
the twisting thing, and then tie off the twisted cord at both ends AND about
an inch from the middle knot on both sides.

This is all theory, of course, but it seems like it ought to work.

Georgia

ps.com...

Old February 20th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Helen ST

On 20 Feb, 19:29, "Georgia" wrote:
What happens if you tie your yarns so that half the length of your initial
piece is yellow, and half is black (i.e., there is a knot in the middle). Do
the twisting thing, and then tie off the twisted cord at both ends AND about
an inch from the middle knot on both sides.

This is all theory, of course, but it seems like it ought to work.

Georgia

Yes, that's what I ended up doing and it worked just fine.

Many thanks for the replies!

Helen

Old February 20th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

You could cast on as much stitches that you need than knit one row and
cast it off again ,
Crochet cast on ,,, etc...
make a braid ,,, [you need a thread 3X longer than needed braid.
mirjam

Old February 20th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

On Feb 20, 11:20 am, "Helen ST" wrote:
Hi all

I have been working through the following pattern for a pair of lovely
little bee booties and matching hat:http://www.magknits.com/Jan06/patterns/bee.htm

My problem is with making the twisted cord for the top of the hat - I
have tried following the instructions on the pattern but the cords
simply untwist again after tying the knots. Can anybody help me out,
or point me at some clearer instructions (preferably with pictures)
for making such cords, or even suggest an alternative type of cord
that could be used? I'm quite new to knitting and have never had to
make a cord before.

Many thanks
Helen

Which direction are you twisting? The cords pictured are Z-twisted.
The yarn was S-plied from threads that were Z-spun. If you are S-
twisting, they will untwist.

Explanations: Z-spun means that when you look at a piece of spun or
twisted thread, string, or yarn, the slant of the spiral is /,
paralleling the center of the letter Z. S-spun is the opposite: \.
All fibers but flax are normally Z-spun. These _singles_ are then
_plied_ or _folded_ together, the plying being done S direction, as Z-
spun singles stay plied if the plying is S. (If a Z-spun single is
overspun and then folded in the middle while being held taut, when it
is released, it automatically plies itself S-fashion!)

The yarn you are using is almost certainly S-plied. To Z-ply lengths
of it together, using your toe as the anchor point and holding the
pencil (or whatever) above your toe, spin the pencil counter-
clockwise.

And no, the instructions don't match the picture.

Cece

twisted leaf galen Knots 0 November 11th 05 06:17 PM
Twisted Log Cabin Jan Quilting 22 October 29th 05 04:18 PM
Twisted Sisters Donna in Idaho Quilting 6 July 1st 05 11:22 PM
Twisted Frenzey Tamara Quilting 0 April 28th 05 11:16 AM
twisted paper Donna D. Marketplace 0 August 5th 03 11:10 PM