Knitting speed ??

Old August 20th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Default knitting smarter was Knitting speed ??

Tara D wrote:
Aha, a product person. :-)

I find folks are either process driven or product driven. The Other
Kim sound process driven, as I am myself.

Process people are happy enough to make a dozen square foot samples of
different stitches. Even to the point of ripping out a square to try
a different pattern with the yarn.

Product people make them into a sampler afghan. :-)

I haven't got a problem with taking apart an almost finished sweater and
reknitting it in a different pattern because I found one I liked better,
or being unsatisfied with the sizing of it.

sue
Old August 20th 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I knew you are like us Katherine ,,,
hahahhah
mirjam

That is my style, too, Joan.

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 20th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Well, I'd have to be, wouldn't I???? LOL

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 20th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:52:51 -0700, The Other Kim spun a fine yarn

Aaron wrote:

I have no problems with anyone knitting as slowly as they want to.

But, I want to be a better knitter. I want to knit with less effort.

A by-product of knitting with less effort is knitting faster.

Speed is not the goal. Knitting with less effort is the goal.

That's the goal for you. You apparently equate "better" with increased
speed. I don't. I, too, want to be a "better" knitter, but with the
types of patterns I like to do faster would lead to worse results. I
prefer to challenge myself with complicated textures and lace patterns,
and in these cases increased speed would not be a good thing. My goal
is to produce the best results I can.

It really doesn't matter to me if someone can knock out 10 rows to my 1;
more power to them. My results are good, and that's what matters to me.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Kim, I say BRAVO, perfect response!
Noreen
who... while I tend to sorta *be* 'fast'... would rather do GOOD work
than FAST, with errors!

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0633-4, 08/18/2006
Tested: 8/20/2006 10:14:12 AM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 20th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Tara wrote:

Aha, a product person. :-)

I find folks are either process driven or product driven. The Other
Kim sound process driven, as I am myself.

Process people are happy enough to make a dozen square foot samples of
different stitches. Even to the point of ripping out a square to try
a different pattern with the yarn.

Product people make them into a sampler afghan. :-)

I'm actually a combination of the two. I won't buy a yarn just because
I like the way it feels or looks; I need to have a specific project in
mind before even starting to shop for yarn. I've never had the urge to
just knit up a bunch of squares for fun; my knitting has to have a final
destination, and I've never done a sampler afghan because I hate putting
things together (which explains why I sometimes wait months to have
completely finished items once the actual knitting is done. If I could
find someone locally who would sew things together for me I'd be
ecstatic).

I have ripped out an entire back of a sweater because I just didn't like
the way the stitches looked. I'm a bit of a perfectionist in this
respect. I know that the average person won't notice a missed purl in
some patterns, but if I can see it without much effort it gets ripped.

I guess that, like so many of us, I can't really be categorized as pure
process or pure project. I just love knitting. I've done other forms
of needlework over the years but always come back to my first love g

Old August 20th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Tara D wrote:
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:55:03 -0700, "The Other Kim"
wrote:

I guess that, like so many of us, I can't really be categorized as
pure process or pure project. I just love knitting. I've done
other forms of needlework over the years but always come back to my
first love g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Of course none of us is purely in one category, or the other
(otherwise I would never have any finished things).

Let's try this a different way. You've signed up for a difficult
class at your local rec centre. You have a list of materials and
tools to bring to class, the pattern to be handed out by the teacher.
You pack up the required yarn, the correct needles, etc in your
workbag. You grab your workbag and head off to class. Before you
enter the classroom, you open the workbag and realize you grabbed the
wrong one; but this one has yarn (wrong size) and needles (appropriate
to the size of the yarn).

Do you leave without entering the class as it would be a waste of time
not having the correct materials? Enter the classroom, explain the
error to the teacher and take the pattern home to figure it out on
your own? Stay for the class, knowing that what you did wouldn't be
part of the finished product? Other options?

I would stay for the class, and take copious notes. Then I would see if my
yarn could possibly be adapted. If not, I would work like mad at home to get
my part of the finished project done in time.

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 20th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

From my view:
If there are errors - it is not better knitting. If there are variations in
tension, then it is not "better knitting." If the resulting product is not
"beautiful" then it is not "better knitting." If the garment is too warm or
not warm enough, then it is not "better knitting." If the garment is not
durable enough for its intended use, then it is not "better knitting."

If the garment is not finished on time, then it is not better knitting. If
no garment is attempted because it would take too long to knit, then it is
not 'better knitting."

If your wrists hurt, (because of your knitting) then it is not "better
knitting."

That is what better knitting is not!

Most of the stuff I do (when I am not just testing to find a better way) is
from Gladys Thompson - mostly knit at 7 to 9 spi with worsted weight yarn to
produce a firm fabric. The gansey that I am working on right now has only 12
cables bordering 6 panels of moss diamonds up the body, and it is real easy
because I can always see the pattern.

However, I think you will find Gladys Thompson's Aran patterns to be as
challenging as any knitting patterns, any where. (Chart them first, some
patterns have errors in them and some are just confusing.) The GT patterns
have more twisted stitches in them that keeps everything tight and gives it
a lovely fine texture. However, they also make you pay attention. Those
ladies really understood beautiful fabric.

If I am going to knit that stuff, I gotta be able to knit without messing up
my wrists. I gotta be a "better knitter."

And, I am thinking about a Sheringham jersey in the classic "rig and fur"
pattern (more moss diamonds) which looks good when knit up at about 12
spi/20 rpi, but maybe the yarn that I had thought to use is not "fast
enough" It looks and feels real nice knit at that gauge, but it does not
really facilitate knitting at a pace that would let me finish in a
reasonable time. And of course, in the best knitting tradition, note the
typo in the chart.

Sometimes better knitting is knitting that just gets a whole lot of little
moss diamonds knit.

Aaron

Old August 21st 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

Let's try this a different way. You've signed up for a difficult
class at your local rec centre. You have a list of materials and
tools to bring to class, the pattern to be handed out by the teacher.
You pack up the required yarn, the correct needles, etc in your
workbag. You grab your workbag and head off to class. Before you
enter the classroom, you open the workbag and realize you grabbed the
wrong one; but this one has yarn (wrong size) and needles (appropriate
to the size of the yarn).

Do you leave without entering the class as it would be a waste of time
not having the correct materials? Enter the classroom, explain the
error to the teacher and take the pattern home to figure it out on
your own? Stay for the class, knowing that what you did wouldn't be
part of the finished product? Other options?

I am with Katherine, I would not leave the class. I would stay for
the class and practice with my wrong yarn and needles. The purpose of
the class would be to learn the technique, not to end up with a
finished product.

Alison
Old August 21st 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Alison wrote:
I am with Katherine, I would not leave the class. I would stay for
the class and practice with my wrong yarn and needles. The purpose of
the class would be to learn the technique, not to end up with a
finished product.

I thought that made the most sense.

Higs,
Katherine

Marching towards fine knitting Yarn 3 July 11th 06 04:34 AM
The Gross Errors of a Needle Maker: 000, 00, 0, Yarn 29 June 20th 06 06:16 AM
Help with old english knitting directions Rach *in NZ* Yarn 55 April 17th 06 05:23 AM
Amusing anger management stitching Sara Needlework 129 May 9th 05 04:20 PM
My Book Report for Cactus Needles Knitting Guild!!! Slick Hippy chick Yarn 2 November 21st 03 10:23 PM