A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Quilting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Flutterby Quilt

Old November 24th 15, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The Flutterby Quilt

I have revised a pattern that uses 2 1/2 inch jelly rolls. Instead I wanted to use a (42 piece) 10" layer cake I just brought. There was only 2 or 3 prints that I liked, the rest was ugly as far as I was concerned. Will never buy another layer cake. I recommend cutting your own 10 inch squares. The jelly rolls you can kind of see what you are getting before buying but only makes a 6 1/2 square.
So using my layer cake squares, I cut my center 3 inch sq, then added 2 (3" by 3 1/2" long)sewn on each side of the 3 inch sq. On each side of this I cut 2 ( 3 1/2 wide by 10")to go on either side of the center strip and then trimmed the ends off. Now I snowball the top left and bottom right with 3 1/2 white squares with line drawn through the centers, sewn and cut off the corner leaving 1/4 inch seam. This makes an almost 9 inch square. Put these rows together so that you end up with the snowballed ends making a square too.
Hope I haven't confused you too much. I will add an inner 2 1/2 inch border and 5 1/2 inch outer border. You may want to try this quilt.
Sandy$
Ads
Old November 25th 15, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann[_2_]
external usenet poster

If the pattern originally called for 2.5" strips, how did it handle the center square, which in your version starts at 3"?

(I don't buy precuts, but I do adapt patterns.)

Nann

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 10:52:47 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have revised a pattern that uses 2 1/2 inch jelly rolls. Instead I wanted to use a (42 piece) 10" layer cake I just brought. There was only 2 or 3 prints that I liked, the rest was ugly as far as I was concerned. Will never buy another layer cake. I recommend cutting your own 10 inch squares. The jelly rolls you can kind of see what you are getting before buying but only makes a 6 1/2 square.
So using my layer cake squares, I cut my center 3 inch sq, then added 2 (3" by 3 1/2" long)sewn on each side of the 3 inch sq. On each side of this I cut 2 ( 3 1/2 wide by 10")to go on either side of the center strip and then trimmed the ends off. Now I snowball the top left and bottom right with 3 1/2 white squares with line drawn through the centers, sewn and cut off the corner leaving 1/4 inch seam. This makes an almost 9 inch square. Put these rows together so that you end up with the snowballed ends making a square too.
Hope I haven't confused you too much. I will add an inner 2 1/2 inch border and 5 1/2 inch outer border. You may want to try this quilt.
Sandy$

Old November 25th 15, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hello Nann,
How I got the 3 inch center is because I inlarged the pattern, yet would fit within my layer cakes which are 10 inches sq. I did not use 2 1/2 inch squares like the pattern called for. Hope you can understand what I did.
Sandy$
Old November 26th 15, 03:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:43:47 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Nann,
How I got the 3 inch center is because I inlarged the pattern, yet would fit within my layer cakes which are 10 inches sq. I did not use 2 1/2 inch squares like the pattern called for. Hope you can understand what I did.
Sandy$

Makes sense!

Nann