Garden Quilt Update

Old August 10th 14, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Garden Quilt Update

Hello Quilters
I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.
Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.
Sandy$ in Idaho

Old August 11th 14, 07:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

ummmm..... "tying all those strings"??? Are you tying the quilt sandwich or piecing? I'm confused. As usual. ;-)

And there are several speed piecing techniques for flying geese. If you are interested we can help you with some alternative methods to what you may be using.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 11th 14, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:30:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Quilters

I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.

Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Leslie,
I am NOT tying a quilt but sewing the blocks together which include 12 flying geese on each block. I have 15 blocks to go. My main pieces are 3 1/2inches wide and 4 1/2 inches long which will make up the flying geese by sewing two smaller squares on one end of a rectangle. So I could use a formula on how to make flying geese easier to make. Flying geese come in so many different sizes that is why I need a formula.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Old August 11th 14, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...-flying-geese/

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...lt-Pattern.htm

I searched for 'flying geese in quilting' and got lots of hits.

If you are machine piecing, most of us use a few back stitches to start and end the line of stitching on each sewn piece of fabric. If you are hand piecing, most use a few stitches in place on top of each other to end and that works to start as well, but to start most use the 'quilter's knot'- here's a video of how to do it:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt..._mail_srchcomp

I still don't get "tying all those strings" you mentioned???

Old August 12th 14, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:30:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Quilters

I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.

Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Leslie,
The string tying has to do with the 12 flying geese in each block. I do this by hand which takes some time. Even though I have reverse on my sewing machine I do not like to use it because it is harder to get undone if you have to take something apart. So for me it is just easier to do it by hand.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Old August 12th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:30:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Quilters

I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.

Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Leslie,
For got to thank you for the addresses for flying geese. I see the first has charts for different sizes of geese.
I have been taking my 3 1/2 inch x 4 1/2 inch rect and placing my smaller squares on one end of the 3 1/2 corner marking and stitching diagonally, doing one square at a time, then cutting off but leaving the seam allowance. This is slow and seems to be a lot of waste too. I hate to waste material especially at the high prices we have to pay now days.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Old August 12th 14, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

On 12/08/14 16:54, wrote:
[...]

Can you not just sew in a row and do one after another and cut them
later, making a large string of them. You don't need to backstitch them
either as you'll sew over the seem allowance and when they are all
pieced this fixes the stitching down.

Janner
France
Old August 13th 14, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Monday, August 11, 2014 1:30:38 AM UTC+10, wrote:
Hello Quilters

I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.

Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hi Sandy,

I reverse only two/three stitches on each of my blocks etc. and it saves me having to tie off the strings, especially with small pieces. I practiced until I mastered just the two/three reverse stitches and it really helps.

Look forward to seeing a picture.

Di
Vic. Aust.

Old August 13th 14, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:30:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Quilters

I need to make a correction on the Garden quilt top. I was saying 12 half squares when I should of been saying flying geese in each block. I was thinking flying geese but saying half-squares. Sorry about that. Has anyone else done this before, saying one thing but meaning something else?? Oh well, there will always be days like that.

Been taking my time sewing the blocks together which takes little over hour and 15 minutes for each block. What takes so much time is my tying all those strings. I now have 9 out of 30 blocks done. I am slow like a turtle but will make it to the finish line eventually. Laughing here.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Here is the problem I had when sewing on those little squares, when you back stitch in those corners,(making flying geese or half squares) then if you try to take out your stitches, it messes up the corners and they look chewed, so usually have to cut a new square, so for me it is just easier to hand tie these corners. It takes longer but well worth it. If I was sewing a dress there would be no problem back stitching.

Finally the Flower Garden Quilt Top [email protected] Quilting 4 August 10th 14 04:19 PM
stains on Grandmother's flower garden quilt Sewgirl Quilting 6 June 7th 11 07:11 PM
Flower Garden Quilt Alice Quilting 22 February 22nd 07 01:15 PM
Jody's Hug Quilt Update -- Quilt finished and being shipped Michelle in NJ Quilting 5 March 31st 05 01:51 AM
How to Quilt TB "A Quilter's Garden"? rjwhite6 Quilting 8 September 4th 03 01:13 AM