Attn: Mirjam ....

Old October 21st 09, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

Default Attn: Mirjam ....

Hi Mirjam,

I hope you are well, and enjoying nice weather. I have a bit of a problem
and thought if anyone I know could help me solve it, it would be you.

A couple of weeks ago it was quite chilly here and I recalled a shawl my
mother had knitted for me about twenty years ago. I wasn't sure if I still
had it, but I do!

Anyway, when I brought it down from the top of the cupboard it was hard to
unfold because the fibers seemed to be sticking to one another. I washed
it, then re-washed it with some baking soda in the water. It's still
sticking to itself.

Have you ever heard of this? Do you have any idea how I can restore the
shawl. It's really lovely and I would love to be able to use it, again.

Thanks,
Murielle

Old October 21st 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn.Mary

Murielle wrote:
Hi Mirjam,

I hope you are well, and enjoying nice weather. I have a bit of a problem
and thought if anyone I know could help me solve it, it would be you.

A couple of weeks ago it was quite chilly here and I recalled a shawl my
mother had knitted for me about twenty years ago. I wasn't sure if I still
had it, but I do!

Anyway, when I brought it down from the top of the cupboard it was hard to
unfold because the fibers seemed to be sticking to one another. I washed
it, then re-washed it with some baking soda in the water. It's still
sticking to itself.

Have you ever heard of this? Do you have any idea how I can restore the
shawl. It's really lovely and I would love to be able to use it, again.

Thanks,
Murielle

I'm not Mirjam, but I have a couple of suggestions. You might try
either hair conditioner or fabric softener. Personally, I would try the
conditioner first, but it is your shawl.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old October 21st 09, 06:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Anyway, when I brought it down from the top of the cupboard it was
hard to
unfold because the fibers seemed to be sticking to one another. *I washed
it, then re-washed it with some baking soda in the water. *It's still
sticking to itself.

Have you ever heard of this? *Do you have any idea how I can restore the
shawl. *It's really lovely and I would love to be able to use it, again..

Thanks,
Murielle

Hallo Murielle
Do you have any idea what the threads are made of ?
are they wool ?man made threads ?
Why did you use baking Soda ????

If you can snip of a piece of thread [ if it has a tail ?] do it take
the thread over a sink , and light it with a match look at the result
and smell it , this may tell you what the threads are !

if you can`t do this test take a magnifying glass and look at 1-2
places where the shawl seems stuck together , and try to unstick it
delicately with your fingers ,, if you feel you can do it , lay the
shawl , as is on a flat place and delicately enter your fingers than
your hand between the folded layers stopping with every hint of
problem .

please tell me what happened ,,,,, let`s do it step after step ..

Baking Soda only took out oils if there were any , tangled /stuck
together threads happen more when they are manmade or mohairs...When
they were kept in a place that was a bit warm and /or humid and if
they were under something heavy weight.

was it folded in a nylon bag ?
mirjam

Old October 21st 09, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

I'm not Mirjam, but I have a couple of suggestions. *You might try
either hair conditioner or fabric softener. *Personally, I would try the
conditioner first, but it is your shawl.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.- Hide quoted text -

Hair conditioner No No No ,,,,,,, But and air blower / hair dryer
turned on cold yes by all means mirjam
Old October 21st 09, 08:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"mirjam" wrote in message
(snip)

Hallo Murielle
Do you have any idea what the threads are made of ?
are they wool ?man made threads ?
Why did you use baking Soda ????

Hi Mirjam,

I have just been looking at the shawl under a magnifiying glass. I think it
must be man-made because of the way it's behaving. The fiber sticks
together, though I can separate it, but then it just sticks again. The
colour is a mix of blues and there appears to be a couple of nylon strands
mixed in with the fiber.

I used the baking soda in the water--not much, maybe half a cup in a washer
full of water--because I know baking soda softens water. The yarn is rough
and scratchy, it never used to be. I thought it would soften the fibers.
It didn't.

If you can snip of a piece of thread [ if it has a tail ?] do it take
the thread over a sink , and light it with a match look at the result
and smell it , this may tell you what the threads are !

I can't find any tails. I know Mom must have bound it off and weaved the
tails through the pattern so they wouldn't show. She did an excellent job.

if you can`t do this test take a magnifying glass and look at 1-2
places where the shawl seems stuck together , and try to unstick it
delicately with your fingers ,, if you feel you can do it , lay the
shawl , as is on a flat place and delicately enter your fingers than
your hand between the folded layers stopping with every hint of
problem .

please tell me what happened ,,,,, let`s do it step after step ..

I did this as I said above, something else I noticed is that in several
places bits of thread and fluff balls are stuck to the scarf. I'm not going
to say it's pilling, because that's not what's going on, but it has
attracted pills from other fabrics it's come in contact with. It's so
weird. I've never seen anything like this before.

Baking Soda only took out oils if there were any , tangled /stuck
together threads happen more when they are manmade or mohairs...When
they were kept in a place that was a bit warm and /or humid and if
they were under something heavy weight. was it folded in a nylon bag ?

I'm trying to remember if there was anything on top of it ... perhaps a few
sweaters. It wasn't at the top of the file, but it wasn't on the bottom
either. Could it be a nylon mix? I've never seen acrylic behave this way.

It was not in a plastic bag. I thought that was a good thing. Just on the
shelf with my other out of season knits.

It's a trianglular shawl and was folded to approximate a square so that it
would fit in the pile easily.

Sorry my info is so choppy. I'm just trying to get down anything I can tell
you about the yarn and shawl.

Thank you so much for this, Mirjam.
Murielle

mirjam

Old October 21st 09, 08:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"Olwyn.Mary" wrote in message
Murielle wrote:
[...]

It is pretty dry. Especially after two washes in the machine and once in
the dryer.

I'm flummoxed.

Murielle
Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 21st 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Linda Lee

Can you use a spray bottle of water and ? and slowly pull it apart and
leave it flat? I wouldn't put it in the dryer.

Old October 21st 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Murielle it doesn`t sound [=read] too promising ,, and it souds very
much like man made threads ,,,, try now to put in very lukewarm
water ,,, [ NOT WARM !!!!! LUKEwarm ] with baby shampoo !!! let it
cool from time to time give a shake ,,,,, throw water out and rinse
again in luke warm water , now push your hand into the layers ,,, and
divide the lot firmly bur delicately.
mirjam
Old October 21st 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn.Mary

Murielle wrote:

I have just been looking at the shawl under a magnifiying glass. I think it
must be man-made because of the way it's behaving. The fiber sticks
together, though I can separate it, but then it just sticks again. The
colour is a mix of blues and there appears to be a couple of nylon strands
mixed in with the fiber.

I used the baking soda in the water--not much, maybe half a cup in a washer
full of water--because I know baking soda softens water. The yarn is rough
and scratchy, it never used to be. I thought it would soften the fibers.
It didn't.

Murielle

In that case, I would definitely try a liquid fabric softener. They are
designed to smooth out made-made fibers. I would put a healthy dollop
of liquid fabric softener in a bowl or sink of fairly warm water, and
leave it to soak for a while, to make sure it gets into all the fibers.
Then I would rinse it in clear water, roll it in a towel to get out the
worst of the water and lay it flat to dry. I know that the folk who
rescue old dolls from yard sales and thrift stores, to clean them up and
dress them for charity, use this method every time for tangled doll hair.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old October 22nd 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Murielle

"mirjam" wrote in message
Murielle it doesn`t sound [=read] too promising ,, and it souds very
much like man made threads ,,,, try now to put in very lukewarm
water ,,, [ NOT WARM !!!!! LUKEwarm ] with baby shampoo !!! let it
cool from time to time give a shake ,,,,, throw water out and rinse
again in luke warm water , now push your hand into the layers ,,, and
divide the lot firmly bur delicately.
mirjam

I don't think I've explained the situation well ... It's not that I can't
unfold it, and lay it flat, it's that when the fibers touch one another they
stick, and the garment is dry and rough, and yes, sticks to itself. But
it's not stuck.

Thanks,
Murielle

Mirjam [email protected] Yarn 2 January 13th 06 01:59 PM
Attn, Mirjam and Michelle norma woods Yarn 0 May 12th 05 06:08 PM
letter from Gemini, special attn: Mirjam norma woods Yarn 0 July 6th 04 07:06 PM
Mirjam? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 3 October 28th 03 05:05 PM
ATTN: Mirjam Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 0 July 11th 03 02:49 PM