Faceting

Old January 15th 04, 02:39 AM
Jack Schmidling

Default Faceting

After browsing the web for an hour, I think I understand how gems are
faceted but not clear on how one gets from there to polished facets.

Is the process just repeated with finer grits or am I missing
something?

js
Old January 15th 04, 06:14 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Although the machinery and some of the process is different for diamond=20
than the colored stones. In general, the rough or preform is affixed=20
(wax,epoxy,superglue or, for diamond, a clamp) to a rod which is=20
inserted in a quill which, for most hobby faceters, is part of a head=20
which can accurately and repeatably be set for angle, rotation, and=20
height. Much overseas cutting is done with less emphasis on=20
repeatability and more work by eye/feel. using usually diamond grits=20
from 220/320 progressing through one or 2 intermediate grits to perhaps=20
50k or finer diamond OR some oxide polishes like cerium, tin whatever.

It can be a rewarding hobby and, if purchasing used equipment is=20
affordable. One can participate at several levels, cutting=20
glass/synthetics for fun, make Xmas gifts, cut stones for trade, sale or=20
collectors, set your own stones after learning metasmithing, design=20
original cuts, up to international competition. If you have a=20
Gem&Mineral/Rockhound club in you area, most likely you could find an=20
instructor.

check www.gemsociety.org
http://www.faceters.com/
http://www.gemcutters.org
http://www.rockhounds.com/
http://www.gearloose.com/

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

Jack Schmidling wrote:
After browsing the web for an hour, I think I understand how gems are
faceted but not clear on how one gets from there to polished facets.
=20
Is the process just repeated with finer grits or am I missing
something?
=20
js

--=20