A real happy happy dance

Old February 20th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

Default A real happy happy dance

As some of you may remember, I got flooded out of my basement studio last
May. Just after we'd gotten all the ick from the flood cleaned up, it
flooded again in August (fortunately not as bad the second time around.) So
I've been without my sewing space for about 9 months.

Yesterday we finally were able to buy new carpet/flooring. The flooring
people will be here tomorrow to measure!

And best of all, the new flooring will go down in 2 weeks. That happens to
be when I'll be going on my annual quilting retreat to Kinderhook. So it
will be down by the time I get back!

I'm so happy I'm squealing and dancing!

Maureen

Of course, in addition to packing up for my retreat, I'll have to empty the
room of the last stuff that is in there. I'm not sure that, or the
resulting jumble will be much fun to deal with.

Old February 21st 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Congratulations, Maureen - it must feel great to finally have things
almost done.

Our basement got flooded out really badly (over 3 ft of water) right
after Thanksgiving, and it's been a BEAR dealing with it these last
few months....between hoeing out the damaged stuff (it looked like a
bomb went off), cleaning up the yucky muck, replacing walls,
etc......I can relate

-Irene

Old February 21st 11, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Having lived through water in the studio with the joys of emptying the
entire space, removing the wet carpet, sorting, organizing and moving
everything back once the new flooring and painting were finished, I
testify that once you are through the hassles the result is grand. Now
I have a solid surface floor which is much easier to clean, furniture
in better positions, and all the containers labeled. In the process I
discovered several long forgotten projects. It was like greeting old
friends. I love my new space and try to keep it organized all the
time. It is amazing how much easier it is to work in space which
doesn't have stuff dumped everywhere. Tell us about your new floor.

Susan

Old February 21st 11, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

BUT - just in case. We have a 'shop' ... it's called 'mine'. Yeah right.
Not much in it that belongs to me. In our dozen years here in the Swamp,
the hurricanes have taken the roof off of that building and generously
distributed it down the lane three times. You can safely assume my shop is
a target. So therefo nothing is stored in that building that isn't at
least 8" off the floor and tightly lidded- just in case. What with global
warming and melting snow, I'm betting you're being very careful what could
get mucked again. Happy Dancing for you, Polly

Old February 21st 11, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 22:44:25 -0600, Susan Laity Price wrote
(in article ):

Having lived through water in the studio with the joys of emptying the
entire space, removing the wet carpet, sorting, organizing and moving
everything back once the new flooring and painting were finished, I
testify that once you are through the hassles the result is grand. Now
I have a solid surface floor which is much easier to clean, furniture
in better positions, and all the containers labeled. In the process I
discovered several long forgotten projects. It was like greeting old
friends. I love my new space and try to keep it organized all the
time. It is amazing how much easier it is to work in space which
doesn't have stuff dumped everywhere. Tell us about your new floor.

Susan

We were looking at a solid floor, some kind of fiberglass based vinyl. But
the price was sky high. Plus Dave was worried it would be "noisy", though I
thought easy to clean up. Instead David ended up working with the insurance
agent to get some extra coverage for floods and sewer back up. So we went
with carpet and
I-forget-what-kind-of-pad-that's-not-the-old-rubber-pad-that-was-there-
before. He thinks it will be easier on to stand on. It's nothing
special--cheap, durable, and a neutral color. But it works for me!

Maureen

Old February 21st 11, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak[_2_]

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:08:52 -0600, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

[...]

wrote:

Plastic lidded containers are my new best friends!

Maureen

Old February 21st 11, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

We were looking at a solid floor, some kind of fiberglass based vinyl.
But
the price was sky high. Plus Dave was worried it would be "noisy", though
thought easy to clean up. Instead David ended up working with the
insurance
agent to get some extra coverage for floods and sewer back up. So we went
with carpet and
I-forget-what-kind-of-pad-that's-not-the-old-rubber-pad-that-was-there-
before. He thinks it will be easier on to stand on. It's nothing
special--cheap, durable, and a neutral color. But it works for me!

Maureen

Clean and dry is the flooring for you at this point I bet. I hear a rumor
of a new law that all houses (CA) will have to have sprinklers in them for
fires. I would think those plastic bins are going to become very important
in the future for houses with the sprinklers.
I'm so happy your sewing area is coming all together Marueen. WooHoo!
Taria