Bell Pull Question

Old March 26th 05, 08:57 PM
Maureen Miller

Default Bell Pull Question

Life has been keeping me away from my needlework AND the computer for
quite some time now. I am going to be a group leader for a family
oriented summer camp in August, and I'll be taking my guitar. What I
NEED is a strap for my guitar so I can walk and play at the same
time...something like walking and chewing gum for me. lol Anyway, I was
thinking.....Would a bell pull work if mounted on a leather strap?
That way I could make it in a design of my choosing. And if this would
work, does anybody have any ideas on what to stitch it in or on? Petit
Point? Embroidery? Cross Stitch, and how about fabric.....?

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.
Old March 26th 05, 11:01 PM
Brenda

Would the tanning and other chemicals in the leather eventually bleed
into the needlework and stain it? That would be my biggest concern. It
would have to be a rather narrow bell pull I would think. On the whole
I don't know why you couldn't make it work.

--
Brenda
Old March 26th 05, 11:06 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, I went to look at my husband's guitar, but the strap isn't there.
His is cloth, if I remember correctly.

The sky's the limit. Like chatelaines: hardanger, surface embroidery,
drawn fabric, Schwalm, Mountmellick, whatever your heart desires.

What a neat idea. Have fun!
Dianne

Maureen Miller wrote:

Life has been keeping me away from my needlework AND the computer for
quite some time now. I am going to be a group leader for a family
oriented summer camp in August, and I'll be taking my guitar. What I
NEED is a strap for my guitar so I can walk and play at the same
time...something like walking and chewing gum for me. lol Anyway, I was
thinking.....Would a bell pull work if mounted on a leather strap? That
way I could make it in a design of my choosing. And if this would work,
does anybody have any ideas on what to stitch it in or on? Petit Point?
Embroidery? Cross Stitch, and how about fabric.....?

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old March 26th 05, 11:54 PM
Carolyn P

Years ago I made straps for a luggage rack, stitched them in wool on
needlepoint canvas in a bargello stitch. I backed them with muslin, but I
should think any hard fabric would work as a backing, may sail cloth, or, if
the colors are right, denim. You'd better get started tho, this is not a
weekend project.

Old March 27th 05, 04:46 AM
havana bill & holly

"Maureen Miller" wrote
Would a bell pull work if mounted on a leather strap?
That way I could make it in a design of my choosing. And if this would
work, does anybody have any ideas on what to stitch it in or on? Petit
Point? Embroidery? Cross Stitch, and how about fabric.....?

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Why not stitch it on even-weave linen in petitpoint, maybe a nice bargello?
You might then want to back it with fusible interfacing or something to
preserve the back of the stitching from rubbing on the leather back of the
guitar strap (and deter any "bleeding" from whatever the leather's treated
with).

Old March 27th 05, 03:20 PM
Maureen Miller

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'll let you all know as soon as I'm
finished what it looks like! LOL. I'll be going the scenic route via
bus for the first leg of the camping trip with my family following later
in the day so MAYBE I'll even be finishing it en-route! )

Maureen in Vancouver, B.C.

"Maureen Miller" wrote