permanent crease in knit collars

Old May 3rd 04, 05:09 PM
Rudy

Default permanent crease in knit collars

Why do all my knit cotton collars develop a permanant crease in them
after a few washings? It sure is annoying as most of the time I look
like a slept in the shirt, anything that can be done to remove it, I
try ironing but these are in permanantly. Seems to happen to every
name brand I have.

Thanks,
Rudy
Old May 3rd 04, 06:14 PM
Siptah

I've had that problem in a few of my husband's polo/golf - style knit
shirts. Usually they are around the collar, about where he'd fold it down
anyway, but...
When I notice a shirt collar creasing like that, I try to get them out of
the dryer still slightly damp and then fold them, but with the collar
"standing up". Then he folds it down when he puts it on. The crease is
still there, but not as noticable. Don't know why it happens, and why it
happens on some shirts but not others (even the same manufacture will have
some crease and some not)

--
Siptah
Columbus, OH

om...

Old May 4th 04, 07:28 PM
joy beeson

Since I don't want to wear them out, I put my spouse's
shirts in the dryer just long enough to get them hot, then
dry them on hangers. I've never noticed a collar-creasing
problem -- but he seldom has more than three shirts at a
time, so it may be that I've just been lucky.

Joy Beeson
--
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/ -- needlework
http://home.earthlink.net/~beeson_n3f/ -- Writers' Exchange

Old May 4th 04, 08:56 PM
Pogonip

joy beeson wrote:

Since I don't want to wear them out, I put my spouse's
shirts in the dryer just long enough to get them hot, then
dry them on hangers. I've never noticed a collar-creasing
problem -- but he seldom has more than three shirts at a
time, so it may be that I've just been lucky.

Joy Beeson

Is anyone else lusting after that new Maytag "drying center"?
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old May 5th 04, 06:30 PM

permanent crease in knit collars

(Pogonip)
joy beeson wrote:
Since I don't want to wear them out, I put my spouse's shirts in the
dryer just long enough to get them hot, then dry them on hangers. =A0
I've never noticed a collar-creasing problem -- but he seldom has more
than three shirts at a time, so it may be that I've just been lucky.
Joy Beeson
---
Is anyone else lusting after that new Maytag "drying center"?
Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
---
No, not after all of the grief and expense the latest/greatest 'money
and water saving' Maytag model caused us. One problem, and a whole
circuit board must be replaced, over $300.00 at a whack. Three times for
this particular model. I live on tenterhooks should it go out again. H
has threatened to pitch it out the front door in such case, and I
offered to help.
A word of warning-- the repairman mentioned that Maytag tends to rush
new models into production without working out all of the kinks. The
model I have suffers from mold growth, simply because of the
construction. The water saving models are designed to hold a certain
amount of water in an area which you can't see-I can hear it sloshing
when I spin the barrel. This continuous moisture leads to mold and
mildew problems.
Another relatively small annoyance: it is impossible to dye or remove
dye from items properly in a water-saving Maytag. You need lots of
water, and agitating, and you just don't get either. Worth considering
if you do a lot of dyeing. I think public laundromats frown upon dye
usage in their machines. I've gotten the ole' stove-pot out and used it.
Cea

Old May 5th 04, 08:37 PM
Pogonip

[...]

This is true. I have one of the early Neptunes. After a
while, I noticed an ugly odor coming from it. I found
their website, and wrote their C.S. asking what to do
about it. They contacted me and sent a repairman out who
installed over $500 in parts, basically rebuilt the
machine with a new timer, a new door, and a bunch of other
things - took him hours and hours to do it. When he was
done, he gave me a box of Cascade and told me to run an
empty load with that. There was a handout with detailed
instructions. He said to do that about once a year.
There was no charge for this, and the machine by then was
out of warrantee. The repairman said his only complaint
was that they did not tell buyers about the design problem
but waited until they complained, then fixed it.