RCTN Posts

Old February 24th 11, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Janet[_3_]

Default RCTN Posts

I've been thinking lately about the decline in the number of posts on
RCTN. do you think people have migrated to Yahoo groups? I've
recently joined several and there is a lot of participation there.
What groups are y'all in?

Just curious,

Janet
Old February 25th 11, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/24/11 10:15 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

On 2/24/2011 6:31 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:18:57 -0800 (PST), Janet
wrote:

I've been thinking lately about the decline in the number of posts on
RCTN. do you think people have migrated to Yahoo groups? I've
recently joined several and there is a lot of participation there.
What groups are y'all in?

Just curious,

Janet

It's the same on all usenet groups and is due mostly to FB and also to
the younger generation who have never heard of usenet - they tend to
do forums - the FB part is a general consensus on most groups, I don't
do FB but that's what they say.

Probably very true. I do participate in Facebook, as do many of the
rctners. We frequently send little personal messages to each other; also
I enjoy the fact that many of the designers, shops and other similar
(kreinik, Hoffman, DMC etc) businesses are there. You get immediate
information from them, rather than wait for it to travel down the grapevine.

Lucille is hell on wheels at the version of Scrabble which we play!

Gillian

And beats us soundly. I play two different "Scrabble" games - I should
introduce Gillian and Lucille to it. But maybe not, as one option (random
rules) can result in 1000+ point words.

Cheryl

Old February 25th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 2/25/11 7:07 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:15:27 -0500, Gillian Murray
wrote:

It's the same on all usenet groups and is due mostly to FB and also to
the younger generation who have never heard of usenet - they tend to
do forums - the FB part is a general consensus on most groups, I don't
do FB but that's what they say.

Probably very true. I do participate in Facebook, as do many of the
rctners. We frequently send little personal messages to each other; also
I enjoy the fact that many of the designers, shops and other similar
(kreinik, Hoffman, DMC etc) businesses are there. You get immediate
information from them, rather than wait for it to travel down the grapevine.

Lucille is hell on wheels at the version of Scrabble which we play!

Gillian

It's the other aspects of FB I do not like. I believe a lot of people
are going to be very sorry about a lot of the stuff they posted there
and once up it's extremely difficult to truly delete it.

One of those days when Sheena & I agree. We've resisted joining FB, and
while I know that we sort of miss out on some connection possibilities, are
concerned with other aspects. Just too much with the handling of privacy
material. I too think that many people, particularly in the teens thru
twenties, have not grasped the concept of discretion, judgment, and the fact
that so much put on facebook ends up quite widespread, with the potential of
coming back to bite you in the butt. We all know how easy it is to hit
"send" or "Reply to all" and an e-mail that you intended for 1 person, or to
edit somehow has hit an unintended readership. The same with FB, although
as I understand, due to legal pressures they've made the privacy settings
more easily usable.

In the work world, people have been bitten by things they've posted on FB,
and for me, going thru the background stuff getting my clearances back
again, we were specifically advised to stay off FB. Oh, well.

But, guess I do miss getting to play Scrabble with the crew ;^)

Ellice

Old February 25th 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

wrote:

[...]

Gotta agree about FB. I've stayed away and expect will
continue to do so. I check in here, (been on newsgroups
since the early 90s, hard to break the habit) and a few
blogs.

Police in a local county have been investigating
a truly despicable FB page made from pages of girls in
their teens, using their pictures, etc. As soon as it was
"taken down", the instigators put it back up with a
"comment for the police. Not nice at all.
If one isn't judicious in one's use of FB a lot of trouble
can ensue.

Nancy
Old February 25th 11, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

So now you've got me tempted. Come on Cheryl, share!!!

Lucille

Old February 25th 11, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 2/25/2011 8:59 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ellice,

My husband is like you and your DH. He has no intention of putting
anything about himself out into the big wide world. I suspect a lot of
this "guarded privacy" comes back from both military and working years,
and being cautious is far better than the alternative.

On the other hand, I have been a good kid, and very rarely post anything
personal. I use it for entertainment, and also keeping tabs on kids and
grandkids. I have to admit, some of the things the teenagers, and
preteens post, would have been VERY unacceptable, when I was the active
Mom! No TV punishment at the very minimum! LOL

The only way we knew about my stepdaughter's separation, and quick
divorce from her husband, was that she was posting everyday to all her
friends, and I could read the posts. She is almost 40, and SHOULD know
better!

Gill

RCTN-P Cheryl Isaak Needlework 3 June 24th 10 01:36 PM
RCTN is alive!! Gill Murray Needlework 28 December 7th 07 02:29 AM
Being OT on RCTN (long) Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen Needlework 117 October 8th 05 12:54 AM
Being OT on RCTN KCat Needlework 154 October 3rd 05 12:26 PM
META: Number of posts on RCTN. F.James Cripwell Needlework 67 January 16th 04 03:07 PM