OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

Old November 30th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kay Lancaster

Default OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 06:17:36 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
which one do you have - the wooden handle on my grandmothers snapped (I
think she inherited it) and three different ones I've gotten aren't up
to pie crust. This dough it 2 eggs, 1 pound of cold butter, 1 cup of
sugar and 6 cups of flour. (It is straight out on my MIL cookbook)

I was taught to make piecrust and shortbread with two or four tableknives.
Throw the ingredients in a big bowl and cut through them with the knives
till mixed. It's faster than any pastry blender I've ever found.
If you're using 4 knives, rubber band the handles together in pairs
in a couple of spots so the blades point the same direction. g

DH comes from a family that loves kitchen gadgets. I like a minimalist
kitchen. Based on my kitchen tools, he couldn't believe I cooked. At
the time,the extent of my kitchen automation was a toaster and a
hand-crank eggbeater.

Kay

Old December 1st 11, 11:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/30/11 5:42 PM, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 06:17:36 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

hmm

the recipe (from the German) wanted the cold butter and sugar creamed.

but I have to wonder if your method could work, if I was in better shape.

I can cook and make adjustments with ease.

Not so with baking. Have to follow the rules there.

Cheryl
Old December 2nd 11, 11:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/1/11 7:30 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 06:22:06 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

[...]

Shortbread (true shortbread) is Scottish, not German !!!!

that almost requires a smiley face Sheena!

the recipe is Muerbe Teig - from my MIL's cookbook

Old December 2nd 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 11/30/2011 6:17 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/29/11 8:28 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
On 11/28/2011 4:12 PM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I challenge you to mix a shortbread dough by hand

Cheryl -
I always do my shortbread by hand...but I can't do it without a good
pastry cutter! That's what I love about shortbread...it takes about 15
minutes from start to putting it in the oven, and it's so impressive
when it comes out. People think I slaved, and there's really nothing to
it. (But don't tell them!)

sue

which one do you have - the wooden handle on my grandmothers snapped (I
think she inherited it) and three different ones I've gotten aren't up
to pie crust. This dough it 2 eggs, 1 pound of cold butter, 1 cup of
sugar and 6 cups of flour. (It is straight out on my MIL cookbook)

The wire ones don't work well. The one I have looks like this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...astry-blender/

That little thumb rest really helps!

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old December 3rd 11, 12:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/2/11 4:31 PM, Susan Hartman wrote:
[...]

will add to my Amazon wish list

Old December 4th 11, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 16:31:12 -0500, Susan Hartman
wrote:

The wire ones don't work well. The one I have looks like this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...astry-blender/

I went to the restaurant-supply store today, to buy aprons for the
kitchen committee at church, and in wandering around afterward, I
noticed that they had both the wire type of pastry blender and the
knife type. I didn't examine the knife type to see whether it was as
nice a blender as the one in the link, however. The wire type was at
the front edge of the counter, and I thought it a better blender than
the wire blender I have -- the arch of the wires is narrower, and a
bit more gothic, which would allow you to exert more force, and make
it easier to stir.

An important consideration is that you don't want any joints or seams
in the part that goes down into your food -- unless you habitually
boil your tools between uses.

(Above message wouldn't send yesterday; I'm trying again to see
whether it was a passing glitch.)
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old December 5th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

On Nov 25, 8:24*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I don't have or need a stand mixer, BUT I would caution you on
anything Cuisinart. I have their waffle iron and it's a hunk of
junk. One side not as hot as the other, and the knob fell off the
control. I glued it together, but there's too much play in the
control now. Have to flip the waffle to do both sides right.
Old December 5th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/5/11 3:51 PM, Kalmia wrote:
On Nov 25, 8:24 am, Cheryl wrote:
I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I don't have or need a stand mixer, BUT I would caution you on
anything Cuisinart. I have their waffle iron and it's a hunk of
junk. One side not as hot as the other, and the knob fell off the
control. I glued it together, but there's too much play in the
control now. Have to flip the waffle to do both sides right.

the entire line gets terrible reviews

Old December 6th 11, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kalmia

On Dec 5, 5:18*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 16:40:37 -0500, Cheryl Isaak

wrote:
On 12/5/11 3:51 PM, Kalmia wrote:
On Nov 25, 8:24 am, Cheryl *wrote:
I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I don't have or need a stand mixer, BUT I would caution you on
anything Cuisinart. *I have their waffle iron and it's a hunk of
junk. *One side not as hot as the other, and the knob fell off the
control. *I glued it together, but there's too much play in the
control now. *Have to flip the waffle to do both sides right.

the entire line gets terrible reviews

Depends - my Cuisinart food processor circa 1975 still works like a
charm, I did replace the main blade about ten years ago though.

My Cuisinart drip coffee maker, just made coffee yesterday that people
liked. *It tasted as good as it smelled.

I should have qualified that - it's about 3 y.o. and is also
dangerously hot ( brushed stainless exterior) - I wouldn't want a kid
anywhere near it. I'm sure the older Cuisinarts were far superior.

Stand Tricia Needlework 0 May 13th 06 02:56 PM
Where do I stand? John Jewelry 4 February 21st 05 08:43 PM
off topic. sofi is 8 monts old and can stand and talk! DrQuilter Quilting 17 October 26th 04 05:22 PM
What does OT stand for? Pitt Needlework 2 October 7th 04 03:32 PM
quilting for today on topic-off topic-back to on topic (and long) CNYstitcher Quilting 2 August 29th 03 06:28 PM