What to use to fill "pin cushion

Old March 11th 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monica Ferris

Default What to use to fill "pin cushion

On Mar 11, 8:42*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 3/11/10 9:21 AM, in article , "Dianne

Lewandowski" wrote:
Fred wrote:
BTW, Oak sawdust or any other type of sawdust with a high
tannin content will rust your needles in very quickly!

I had no idea. *Most of the pincushions sold are coming from overseas
and filled with sawdust.

I had a nice, purchased pincushion in the living room and boy did my
needles rust. *But not from the pincushion. *They rusted on the
protruding portion. *Putting them through emery didn't help.

Dianne

How strange...

I've been doing some digging around - for some reason I'm now fixated on
filling one (of the pin cushions) with lavender or something else fragrant;
at least partially filling it.

Now if poppies had a scent....I'd be in real trouble

I was probably told long ago what the little "strawberry" on my
mother's pincushion was for, but I had forgotten. I have a pattern
for a biscornu I want to make that is a spider's web with a button
spider -- I think I'll make it as a pincushion. Thanks for the
helpful tips!

Mary Monica
aka Monica Ferris
Old March 11th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

Human hair was traditional -- but you have to start saving your
combings a long time ago. (Also works better if your hair is long.)

I'd avoid all plant fibers, in case a non-stainless pin is stuck into
the cushion.

100%-wool fabric which has been felted by machine-washing in hot water
makes a leak-proof lining which is easy to stick pins into.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

Old March 11th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
........snipped.......
I've been doing some digging around - for some reason I'm now fixated on
filling one (of the pin cushions) with lavender or something else fragrant;
at least partially filling it.

Now if poppies had a scent....I'd be in real trouble

I have TONS of dried lavender so if yiou need some, just let me know
:-). Did you go back to RCTQ yet? There is a response to your post
offering you some wool batting!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old March 11th 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Mar 11, 9:21*am, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:
Fred wrote:

* BTW, Oak sawdust or any other type of sawdust with a high

tannin content will rust your needles in very quickly!

I had no idea. *Most of the pincushions sold are coming from overseas
and filled with sawdust.

I had a nice, purchased pincushion in the living room and boy did my
needles rust. *But not from the pincushion. *They rusted on the
protruding portion. *Putting them through emery didn't help.

Dianne

Well. I guess I'd better stop using that cute little mouse pincushion
that I bought at Liberty's in January. Will return to my old ratty
pincushion from the 1960s.

Thanks!

Donna in Virginia