Very small scratches in computer screen

Old July 1st 03, 04:36 AM
hotish

Default Very small scratches in computer screen

I have already scratched off the coating and now what is left is very
very small scratches all over the screen..

so you guys think i should chuck it out? I seriously doubt it will
blow up/implode...

any ideas on removing the small scratches?

(Kevin G.) wrote in message . com...
The anti glare coating on the screen can be taken off with a chemical.
If the scratches you're seeing are a result of the anti glare being
scratched you may be able to wipe the rest of the coating off and with
it the scratches. My sister in law works for an eye glass
manufacturer and she used a chemical on my lenses to remove the anti
glare when it became scratched. I'm not sure what she used to remove
it but I would imagine you could check with a nearby eye glass
retailer and they could help you.

Kevin g

www.kevinandtammy.net
Old July 1st 03, 01:33 PM
Mike Aurelius

You will note that I said "POSSIBLY IMPLODE".

As a reckless youth, I spent many an hour potshotting TV's at the local dump
in the evenings with my .22. Every shot blew up a tube.

Spot repolishing a CRT is like spot repolishing an automobile windshield -
you end up with an area of magnification that drives you nuts.

Mike

Old July 1st 03, 01:37 PM
billu

I seriously doubt it will implode as well. I've seen CRTs that size take a
direct hit from a bullet (.22 and .38) and maybe a chip in the glass.
It would need to be buffed out. But with the cost of a buffer and the
various polishing agents needed in addition to the time you'd be better
off buying a new one. You are also not assured of being able to
polish evenly. CRT monitors are dirt cheap. Chalk it up to experience
and just get a new one.

BTW I have not polished a CRT before so take this info with a grain of
salt.

om...

Old July 4th 03, 01:13 AM
hotish

I guess an area of magnification is better then what i am seeing
now...

The monitor I have is a great monitor so i dont wanna go for some
cheap $10 used 15" monitor..

I seriously doubt that toothpaste will fix the problem...anymore
ideas?

Thanks...

(Bart V) wrote in message ...
Try polishing it with toothpaste, sometimes works. Used monitors sell
for as little as $10...
Bart.

tinnitus, custom compensated bridges,
tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**

Old July 4th 03, 02:31 PM
Mike Firth

If the scratches are so minor that your fingernail does not catch on them,
then a mild abrasive, including toothpaste might be able to reduce or
eliminate them. However, any polishing compound is going to have to be
applied with a wet felt wheel moving fast enough to be very interesting to
either handle or hold the screen against.
If I remember the early part of this thread correctly, you have a ruined
screen where you used steel wool to remove the damaged plastic antiglare
screen and scratched the glass. Give up, buy a replacement tube or
replacement monitor.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
m...

Old July 6th 03, 02:01 AM
Ditmar

Looks like this one's being beat to death.
.....Well, at least here are my 10 lashes.

Since I don't know the degree of the scratches, an old darkroom trick comes
to mind.
....."nosegrease" Some of the minor scratches in negatives can almost be
eliminated by touching the negative with a finger you first rubbed on your
"greasy" nose, and then polished in.

Same principle applies. If you can't get rid of 'em..... Hide 'em as best as
possible.
Try putting on some wax / polish / oil of choice and buff the surface. If
you don't like the idea of a new monitor...... Try to hide the scars.
Ditmar

"Cheryl" wrote in message

so you guys think i should chuck it out? I seriously doubt it will
blow up/implode...

CHUCK it and buy a new monitor
the amount of work - and likelihood of success is not worth the trouble.

Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/