1/8-scale furniture?

Old July 11th 03, 01:55 AM
Carol

Default 1/8-scale furniture?

I'm posting this to the sender as well as to the group because someone might
find it useful.

Many of the German minis are 1/10 scale which is somewhat closer to 1/8 and
might work.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

"KAYAKFAN" wrote in message
I am a school teacher. I want to build a model house and because of

materials
I use, a 1/8-scale is best. I wish to then "furnish" the house, but most
furniture I see is on a 1/12-scale.

I could change the scale, but hope that someone knows of a source of

1/8-inch
scale furniture and accessories. Maybe older stuff was on differernt

scales.

If you do respond, please do so by E-MAIL to SENDER as I do not look at

this
group much.

Mike Goodman
High Point, NC

Old July 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Herb

For whatever reasons, you've selected a scale which is very unusual.
You're not likely to find much, if anything at all, in that scale. What
are the materials that you feel point to a 1:8 scale? If it's the
building materials themselves, it might be better to fudge on the scale
of the building (the thickness of the walls and floors) in favor of
being able to furnish the interior easily.

There is (was?, may have been?) a model railroad scale, V-scale, that is
1:8. G-Scale (LGB trains) are about 1:20, so 1:8 would be more than
twice as big - enough for a small amusement park ride-on!

The following are the more commonly available dollhouse scales (roughly
in decreasing order of popularity and availability)
1:12 inch to the foot, AKA "1-inch"
1:24 "half-inch"
1:48 "quarter-inch"
1:144 "dollhouse in a dollhouse"
1:16 "three-quarter inch" - European such as Lundby and Brio (haven't
seen Brio items for quite a while, though)
1:6 "two-inch" - appropriate for 11-12" dolls, also known as "play
scale"
1:10 Some German - 1 centimeter to the decimeter.
1:96 "eighth-inch" used professionally for architectural models

And then there are the railroad scales
1:48 O and O27
1:87 HO (Half-O, but not exactly)
1:64 S (American Flyer)
1:160 N
1:220 Z

You mention "older stuff". If you look at antique dollhouses and
miniatures, you'll find a wide variation - much not really scaled well
at all, but still mostly near 1:12 scale.

- Herb

KAYAKFAN wrote:

I am a school teacher. I want to build a model house and because of materials
I use, a 1/8-scale is best. I wish to then "furnish" the house, but most
furniture I see is on a 1/12-scale.

I could change the scale, but hope that someone knows of a source of 1/8-inch
scale furniture and accessories. Maybe older stuff was on differernt scales.

If you do respond, please do so by E-MAIL to SENDER as I do not look at this
group much.

Mike Goodman
High Point, NC

Wild-Life Carved ~bars, furniture, doors,signs,ect. one of a kind BOB Carving 2 February 1st 05 09:58 PM
(SMHDV) Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicles George G Carving 1 January 25th 05 08:35 PM
Cats and Furniture meijhana Beads 1 August 15th 04 09:26 AM
Small Scale Glassblowing with Nortel Minor Burner? Jean-Francois Theoret Beads 24 March 2nd 04 04:38 AM
Hand carved and Natural made furniture, chess boards and pieces Brad Clark Carving 0 October 13th 03 02:35 AM