What Quilt Scares You?

Old October 27th 03, 05:54 PM
CNYstitcher

Anything applique....paper piecing is a little intimidating, but I'm
still going to give it a try. things with curves, and things that
*must* be free-form quilted, hand quilting, quilts larger than twin-size

Larisa, still learning, still in beginner mode

Diana Curtis wrote:

Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in knots to
think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what about it
makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me worried. In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a scanner to
take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it. Its on my
to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the same
quilts.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 27th 03, 06:02 PM
frood

I'd probably have to say intricate Celtic knot designs intimidate me.
Getting those fiddly bias bits to lay flat *and* go where you want them to
go looks very hard to me. However, I think that a border of Celtic
interlace, with some stars coming off like flowers on a vine would be really
cool on the bed quilt I'm still trying to plan. I wonder what the center
will look like?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 27th 03, 06:11 PM
Diana Curtis

Is it the curves in the one and the many set in seams in the other?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"jules" wrote in message
double wedding ring and mariners compass I think.

--
Jules

Old October 27th 03, 06:24 PM
Diana Curtis

I suspect there isnt much on this good earth that intimidates you. :-)
Do you consider any particular quilt a good challenge?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
" Ellison" wrote in message
Howdy!
Nope. None.

Ragmop/Sandy--well, there isn't! ;-D
(professional quilt color coordinator--and cotton picker!)

Old October 27th 03, 06:54 PM
Jan Dunaway

:-) Exactly. It's replacable... and so are stingy husbands!! lol!!

Jan

Diana Curtis wrote:

I agree.. up to a point. Last marriage the ex held the purse strings so
tight I couldnt get a pinky in. The price of a quilt top back then (even if
it was wally world dollar table stuff) would have held me back, and even as
it was it was scrape the fabric up here and there where I could. Making a
quilt that failed to the point of not being usable would have been
heartbreaking.
But, now I am older, wiser, and think its worth the risk of making mistakes.
So..
The lesson is, it IS just fabric and if you dont take the chance of failing
you will never succeed.. does that sum it up pretty well?
Diana

Old October 27th 03, 07:15 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Diana Curtis
writes
Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in knots to
think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what about it
makes you tremble?

Yep. Every quilt I ever made, just before I begin quilting it. Usually,
I am really happy with how the piecing turned out, and I am terrified of
ruining it with bad quilting. Some of my oldest UFOs are finished
piecing, waiting for the quilting.

Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me worried. In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a scanner to
take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it. Its on my
to do list, right under long nap.

Oh, I see. Quilt patterns, not particular quilts. In that case let's see
- New York Beauty. Dear Jane. Mariners' Compass. Anything with curves or
lots of points. Anything that requires super-precise piecing (not my
long suit).

OTOH, appliqué (which many people find intimidating) holds no fear for
me. Why is it that people are terrified of appliqué?
--
Mel Rimmer
Old October 27th 03, 07:34 PM
Lisa Ellis

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
Must be a personality thing. I honestly can't think of a quilt that scares
me. There are a couple that I know would bore me to tears because they'd be
so slow to do (a pieced clamshell comes to mind), but it doesn't scare me.

I tend to think the same way; I know there are quilts I don't want to
make because they are too 'fiddley' or too time consuming. But I know I
could make them.

I am resistant to trying new techniques. I dislike the idea of pin
basting and machine quilting. But having decided that I can't hand
quilt everything, I am teaching myself to machine quilt. It is slow
going though...I'd rather not change...

lisae

Old October 27th 03, 07:44 PM
AliceW

I would love to do a Baltimore Album quilt but the thought of all the
applique really scares me to death! I've done DWR in a table runner
and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think I need to find a smaller
applique project to work on which would either make it or break it for
applique for me.

Alice in NJ

Old October 27th 03, 08:01 PM
jules

I think it is just that, I haven't yet done curves or set in seams. SOOOO
I guess I will have to give it a go and get over it. Usually I get an idea
that things are hard and put them off for so long then when I finally dive
in I wonder what all the fuss was I made about it !

going to have to jump in with both feet at some point I guess.

--
Jules