Rag Quilts with Binding

Old October 24th 03, 03:37 AM
JoyceG in WA

Default Rag Quilts with Binding

I've recently been working on some rag quilts, mainly because it's something I
can finish in a reasonable amount of time. I've noticed some rag quilts in
the LQSs that have traditional binding, and others that have the snipped and
frayed edges. I was wondering if using binding on the edges is simply an
aesthetic choice, or if it actually makes a big difference in terms of the
structural integrity of the final product. I've also noticed that some rag
quilts are being made with standard good-quality cottons, rather than just
wovens or flannels, and the all-cotton quilts have washed and frayed really
well.

Any advice you can give is appreciated. I'm thinking about offering to make a
raggy Christmas/winter flannel throw for DD's school choir to auction as part
of a 2-day craft fair in December, so I need to figure out what I'm going to
do. And do it! LOL!

Thanks!
JoyceG in WA
JoyceG in WA
(take out the "nospam" to reply)
Old October 24th 03, 02:03 PM
JS

I've made several rag quilts, and the ones with the regular cotton do fray
just as nicely as the flannel IMO. I haven't bound any of them, since to me
they are quick projects and binding would double the time investment. DS
has been using one for several years, and I have not noticed any
deterioration around the edges. I just make sure to sew around the entire
outer edge twice - once with a short straight stitch, and once with a zig
zag.

HTH
Jennifer in Florida

Old October 24th 03, 02:54 PM
RAB/SAB

I have been making several rag quilts for a craft show in November. I have
been using flannel on one side and satin on the other. They come out
beautiful and if they ar snipped very close say about every 1/8 inch they
fray to what looks like chenille.And the satin makes a beautiful glittery
effect on the flannel side ) I started making them with silk for all my
friends that are having babies because when my girls were small they had 2
blankies one soft satin one and one warm and cuddly one so I thought I would
do a 2 for 1. They love em !! I think you can make a rag quilt out of just
about any type of woven material and it will fray nicely depending on how
close together the snipping is. I also use a small satin stitch around the
edge before snipping the edges it is strong and adds a nice design ) I
have made about 20 of them with out a problem of durability.

P.S. I have been a lurker on this newsgroup for about 8 months. I am not a
traditional quilter but I do love reading the posts and I would love to
start a traditional quilt someday meanwhile I will keep up with my rag
quilts till the craft show.

Old October 25th 03, 02:34 AM
Pat in Virginia

Hello and welcome RAB/SAB! Whew, that is a mouthful! You got a
nick name?
So nice to hear about the clever baby quilts you are making. I've
several yards of satin that need a project ... hmmm .... project
number 159. G
PAT in VA/USA