Help please~ Have any of you every done a velveteen quilt top?

Old June 8th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
cqlady

Default Help please~ Have any of you every done a velveteen quilt top?

Hello Quilting friends...
I need your advice please.
I am thinking about making a crushed velveteen quilt top for my son's
40th BD present (whew...talk about time going by quickly! :O).
Have any of you ever quilted on top of crushed velveteen? Any
recommendations? SID vs.
any pattern? Or should I simply tie it ... instead of put it on my
quilt frame (think the ties
would be masculine enough & will ties hold up?)? BTW I'm going to do a
1/2 seam
allowance when piecing so it doesn't fray w/time & washings. Don't you
agree?
And does crushed velveteen stretch on a (quilt) frame?
What about the pile...could you even see a
pattern on that? (I think I will do a test sample on my DSM).
Please be honest as I haven't started yet & just wanted to check to
see if I'm headed down
the wrong path. I want to do something special and classy. I'm sure
you understand.
Thanks a lot for any help & input you can share ...
Lynn

Tampa, Fl.
Old June 8th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I haven't done it myself, Lynn, but I have seen it used *very*
successfully on a quilt that was in a show in February (UK, though).
The quilting showed up beautifully; and there was appliqué on top of the
velvet. She used quite a lot of silk, and other 'difficult' fabrics.
The quilting was elaborate, but not close.
Have you thought about washability?
..
In message
,
cqlady writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 8th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"cqlady" wrote in message

What about the pile...could you even see a
pattern on that?

I haven't done velveteen, but I did a quilt for a customer with a faux fur
backing. Quilted just fine, and the quilting made a cool sculptured texture
on the faux fur.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old June 8th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:20:44 -0700, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

"cqlady" wrote in message

What about the pile...could you even see a
pattern on that?

I haven't done velveteen, but I did a quilt for a customer with a faux fur
backing. Quilted just fine, and the quilting made a cool sculptured texture
on the faux fur.

My mum made scrap quilts for all of the children using fake fur scraps
(it was the 70s) from all of our winter coats, stuffed animals, robes,
slippers, hats, etc. I still have mine. Warning: if you have a
quilt with fake fur on it *and* cats, you will always find the two
together. I should have named the QIs Velcro and Duct Tape.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 9th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

You knew it was coming. Here's old Cranky Polly. (Not really feeling
cranky, we've had such a nice day.)
Please do consider other options. Velveteen is very seasonal; wouldn't
be good for spring and summer. Cleaning it would be a challenge - washing
might be a disaster and dry cleaning a quilt is not a happy choice.
A velveteen quilt would weigh a ton. If your son is turning 40, I'm
assuming that you're not physically fit for pro-football spring training and
just heaving it around to quilt would be a 'weighty' monster.
There are heaps of glorious batiks and silks and many, many cottons that
are very special and masculine.
Your question was "have we ever?" Yes. I have. Do I recommend it and
would I do it again? No. Definitely not. Polly

Old June 9th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I didn't want to say anything discouraging, but now that Polly has broken
the ice, I will add my experience with a log cabin pieced in corduroy, which
is similar stuff. Turned out about double bed size or a bit larger. No
batting, and it was tied. So heavy nobody was willing to sleep under it. It
looked gorgeous, though, deep rich color.
Roberta in D

Old June 9th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I shouldn't think laundering would be a dire issue, so long as you
used appropriately compatable batting and backing. Def not a quilt to
use shrinky cotton batting on though.
Edges fraying, now that would be an issue. Fray chek will only take
you so far. I usually use french seams on velvet, same as I do on any
madly fraying fabric. That would tend to make the quilting a beast I
should think.

On the marking issue, pounce or chalk and a little extra care is the
best way I have found. I should think that velveteen would be
significantly easier to mark than velvet.

I haven't done a bed quilt but I have done quilted or partially
quilted garments of velvet. The last jacket was easy, but then I
burned out the pattern on the fabric. (G) Highly recomended if you
gotta and it will suit the project! Obviously it wouldn't work so
well with hundred percent cotton velveteen. Which brings us around to
what kind of velveteen are we talking about here anyway?

At my house quilts are not exactly seasonal. It is just that in the
winter you sleep under them, and in the summer you sleep on top of
them.

NightMist

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 22:49:09 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

You knew it was coming. Here's old Cranky Polly. (Not really feeling
cranky, we've had such a nice day.)
Please do consider other options. Velveteen is very seasonal; wouldn't
be good for spring and summer. Cleaning it would be a challenge - washing
might be a disaster and dry cleaning a quilt is not a happy choice.
A velveteen quilt would weigh a ton. If your son is turning 40, I'm
assuming that you're not physically fit for pro-football spring training and
just heaving it around to quilt would be a 'weighty' monster.
There are heaps of glorious batiks and silks and many, many cottons that
are very special and masculine.
Your question was "have we ever?" Yes. I have. Do I recommend it and
would I do it again? No. Definitely not. Polly

.. .
wrote:

"cqlady" wrote in message

What about the pile...could you even see a
pattern on that?

I haven't done velveteen, but I did a quilt for a customer with a faux fur
backing. Quilted just fine, and the quilting made a cool sculptured
texture
on the faux fur.

My mum made scrap quilts for all of the children using fake fur scraps
(it was the 70s) from all of our winter coats, stuffed animals, robes,
slippers, hats, etc. I still have mine. Warning: if you have a
quilt with fake fur on it *and* cats, you will always find the two
together. I should have named the QIs Velcro and Duct Tape.

-- Jo in Scotland

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old June 9th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Amen. What Polly said.
Except for the "have I ever? Yes" part; I haven't, I wouldn't,
can't even consider it. g Why make quilting so difficult? ;-P

My best friend from high school, an artist w/ fabric and thread,
decided several years ago to "try quilting". She fussed, she whined,
she bitched & complained, so on a trip to The Really Big Quilt Show
in Houston (she lives in Houston I stayed w/ her) I said,
"Let's see what you're doing but I don't want to take it over."
She had found a packet of half-finished top & fabric squares at
a thrift shop, deciding that finishing a half-completed project
would be a good way to Begin Quilting.
Except that the fabric she bought so cheaply (there's a clue, hon!)
was velveteen and polyester knits. ICK! Of course it was hateful
to work with, of course she was exhausted hauling that thing around
the sewing machine, of course I told her she should be committed if
she didn't Stop Now! Wisely she put the whole mess into her
next garage sale (altho' I said it's not nice to do that to strangers).
Dear Friend went back to making clothes and curtains; she's decided
she's not ready to quilt. g
Enjoy quilting. Use "quilting" cotton. ;-)

R/Sandy - p.s. Dear Friend did enjoy the quilt show, esp. the flashy
threads and beads and sparkly fabric

Old June 23rd 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
glinfoot

glinfoot had written this in response to
http://www.sewgirls.com/quilting/Re-...il-104320-.htm
:
Here is another twist to this issue. About 15-20 years ago in one of the
"ladies" magazines, not a quilting magazine, there was the most gorgous
quilt that I believe was out of velveteen. It was a log cabin pattern and
I'm guessing it was velveteen, or at least something with a nap, it was a
tan color and of course every time the grain direction was turned, it
looked like a slightly different color. You have all raised some very
good issues. Does anyone know anything about the pattern I am talking
about, perhaps a verification of the fabric used? Or can someone suggest
a different fabric that would not be quite as heavy? I thought for sure I
saved the article, but I have not been able to find it. I did like the
look of the velvety texture. Thanks, - Oregon Quilter

wrote:

"cqlady" wrote in message

What about the pile...could you even see a
pattern on that?

I haven't done velveteen, but I did a quilt for a customer
with a faux
fur
backing. Quilted just fine, and the quilting made a cool
sculptured
texture
on the faux fur.

My mum made scrap quilts for all of the children using fake
fur scraps
(it was the 70s) from all of our winter coats, stuffed
animals, robes,
slippers, hats, etc. I still have mine. Warning: if you
have a
quilt with fake fur on it *and* cats, you will always find the
two
together. I should have named the QIs Velcro and Duct Tape.

-- Jo in Scotland

-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.quilting - 103139 messages and counting!
Old June 24th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michele in NYC

Lynn,

If you're looking for something masculine, but elegant with deep
colors, try taking a look
at Judith Baker Montano's (the crazy quilt maven) fabrics. She worked
on a few lines for Kaufman last year that were
to die for.

One collection was a line of cotton/silk fabric in a range of solid
colors, but the jewel tones were gorgeous -
called RADIANCE SATEEN.
There was a coordinating collection of 6 colors called BAROQUE -
similiar to cutout velvet,
with a low nap but the weight just slightly heavier than normal
cottons. Drapes beautifully.
Plus, I also got some solids in a velvet like fabric, also 100%
cotton, but I can't find those listed anywhere.
Maybe the quilt shop got some coordinating fabrics for the display
from another source.

Both lines are completely washable. (I've washed them all and they
retain their elegant shimmer.)
I only wish I had a clue how to sew a shirt or jacket - instead of
paying Dana Buchman several hundred for a suit,
I could have made it for a fraction of the price.

Here are the links to the collection (and then a search on
quiltshops.com will lead to shops carrying the fabric).

RADIANCE SATEEN: http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics/radiance/
BAROQUE: http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics...fabrics&basics

I bought mine last December during a trip to Minneapolis, and then
picked up more in FL,
so I know they're still around in shops.

Good luck!
-Michele in NYC

On Jun 23, 6:44 pm, (glinfoot)
wrote: