Finally Got It!!!

Old October 25th 04, 03:42 PM
Mika

Default Finally Got It!!!

Woohoooo!!!! I finally got a new digital camera!!! I am so excited. Now I
can post pictures of the quilts I have made and share with you all. I still
have to show you all the Army quilt I made for DH's birthday LAST year. LOL.
Also my NASCAR quilt and the Cross & Crown quilt I made for the church
auction. Although, it's not quilted yet but the top is done. I had to order
the fabric from JoAnn's last as they didn't have enough of the color I
needed in stock. I also made a friendship star baby quilt for the auction.
So as soon as DH gets home from work we will be posting pictures.

Now I have a couple of questions. I am going to make a Rail Fence quilt that
was promised as a Christmas gift last year. I finally just a few weeks ago
got the person to help me pick out the fabric she wanted. Ok my question. I
plan to machine quilt it after the top is pieced. What is the best design to
use? I am not comfortable enough with free motion just yet to attempt
anything like that. How would you all quilt a Rail Fence?

Thanks.
Mika

Old October 25th 04, 03:54 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Mika" wrote:

Woohoooo!!!! I finally got a new digital camera!!! I am so excited. Now I
can post pictures of the quilts I have made and share with you all. I still
have to show you all the Army quilt I made for DH's birthday LAST year. LOL.
Also my NASCAR quilt and the Cross & Crown quilt I made for the church
auction. Although, it's not quilted yet but the top is done. I had to order
the fabric from JoAnn's last as they didn't have enough of the color I
needed in stock. I also made a friendship star baby quilt for the auction.
So as soon as DH gets home from work we will be posting pictures.

Congratulations, Mika! You'll have such fun with a digital camera -- and
I can't wait to see the pics after hearing you talk a bit about them
when you were here.

Now I have a couple of questions. I am going to make a Rail Fence quilt that
was promised as a Christmas gift last year. I finally just a few weeks ago
got the person to help me pick out the fabric she wanted. Ok my question. I
plan to machine quilt it after the top is pieced. What is the best design to
use? I am not comfortable enough with free motion just yet to attempt
anything like that. How would you all quilt a Rail Fence?

Hmmm...I'd do curvy stuff, since Rail Fence is so angular. But you don't
want to do free motion, huh? You could do diagonal lines from corner
to corner of each block, creating a sort of zigzag effect. If the blocks
are fairly large, you might want to do several parallel diagonals in
each one.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old October 25th 04, 04:20 PM
Roberta Zollner

I'd cover the whole thing with free motion feathers! Come on. you can do
it -practice! How hard can this be?
Roberta in D, if I can do it, anybody can, honest!

et...

Old October 25th 04, 07:29 PM
Pati Cook

Or use a serpentine stitch (if your machine does one.) That has become a favorite
for quick quilting for me. Plus if it isn't absolutely straight no one will
notice. BG
You can use the curvy stitch over the seamlines or even as a grid.

Pati, in Phx

Old October 26th 04, 05:04 PM
Mika

"Sandy Foster" wrote in message

Congratulations, Mika! You'll have such fun with a digital camera -- and
I can't wait to see the pics after hearing you talk a bit about them
when you were here.

I am going to have tons of fun with it. I just took about 20 rolls of film
in to be developed last week. I got some of the Hoover Dam pics back. They
were awesome.

Hmmm...I'd do curvy stuff, since Rail Fence is so angular. But you don't
want to do free motion, huh? You could do diagonal lines from corner
to corner of each block, creating a sort of zigzag effect. If the blocks
are fairly large, you might want to do several parallel diagonals in
each one.

Well Sandy, it's not that I don't want to do free motion. It's just this
particular quilt and the couple it's being made for. I don't want my
learning mistakes to be made on this particular quilt. However, after
reading this thread, I've gotten some really good ideas. So I just might try
it after all.

Mika

Old October 26th 04, 05:06 PM
Mika

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
Or use a serpentine stitch (if your machine does one.) That has become a
favorite
for quick quilting for me. Plus if it isn't absolutely straight no one
will
notice. BG
You can use the curvy stitch over the seamlines or even as a grid.

That's a great idea Pati. I had never even thought of anything like that.
I'm going to do some extensive experimenting with my machine now and see
just what it is capable of. I know it has 21 different stitches and does
embroidery and monogram among other things. I have just never had the
courage to try any of it. You all are giving me some much needed new
inspiration. Thanks.

Mika

Old October 26th 04, 05:08 PM
Mika

I haven't had the courage to attempt anything like that just yet. But as I
told Pati, you all are giving me some much needed new inspiration to
experiment with my machine. So we'll just have to wait and see what comes
up. I still have to get the top made first.

Mika

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
I'd cover the whole thing with free motion feathers! Come on. you can do
it -practice! How hard can this be?
Roberta in D, if I can do it, anybody can, honest!

et...

Old October 26th 04, 05:11 PM
Mika

That is really pretty Julie. How wide did you make your strips? I don't know
if I want to use 3" strips and make a 9" block or larger. Or even go
smaller. I don't like working with small stuff though so it will probably be
at least 3" strips.

Mika

wrote in message
.net...
I made a rail fence a while ago- I basically did an in the ditch quilting
with a walking foot. Now I might do a wavy line quilting instead of the
straight ones. Or I might do the in the ditch and then do some motifs in
some of the rail fence blocks. You can see mine at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/julieinrichmond

Julie
Richmond, VA

said...

Old October 26th 04, 06:00 PM

Thanks Mika- My strips finished at 2 inches so I had cut them to 2.5
inches. I think that a 2.5 finished strip or 3" would look nice too. I
chose the size that I used because it was a smaller lap quilt. If I were
doing a larger quilt wider strips would work.

Good luck!

Julie
Richmond, VA

said...