Enabling, Jacobean Style - For Dianne

Old December 19th 03, 08:53 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

This conversation is confusing me. Wasn't crewel embroidery a process
of "crewel wool" on linen (usually linen twill) grounds.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't use other threads or other grounds.
But I keep reading about silk ground, and this is a new "revelation" to
me to think of crewel embroidery and silk cloth in the same breath.

Dianne

Hexe wrote:

Ellice wrote in message ...

Hi ya guys, I just had to share this site. My crazy aunt who quilts, and
used to do NP, has decided that she wants to do embroidery. As in a counted
thread sampler. Next thing I know, after I've sent her a bunch of links to
look at so I have an idea of what types she likes, she picks the most
difficult Drawn Thread piece. Well, she has good taste - but I told her I'll
kit her up something a little simpler, in the same vein, and send it on.

snipped to post

Ellice

i haven't read the whole thread as i should be cooking dinner '-) i
also love the Jacobean style of embroidery, but living where i do in
Germany, i am limited as to readily available threads. i would
suggest you get your aunt "The Anchor Book of Crewelwork Embroidery
Stitches". this book is written for beginners and has patterns
relevant to each stitch used. (i think these Anchor books are great,
i have several.) the pieces are done with a variety of threads not
just wool on silk.

i'm beginning a tote bag with a sampler square of 4 patterns done as
an (lined) outside pocket.

--
Hexe
http//ikutec.com

Old December 19th 03, 08:56 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Wonder if it was dupioni? Shiny, slubby. Fine weave on the warp
threads. A WONDERFUL silk on which to stitch. I've used lots of it.
It softens up considerably after washing. I've never had a problem with
holes, and I rip out lots. grin Great for silk ribbon, which requires
large chenille needles.
Dianne

FKBABB wrote:

but I would be very doubtful about a beginner
starting out on silk backgrounds, because silk is notorious for showing needle
holes, and thus frogging is almost impossible. BRBR

I worried about this before I started the Berlin kit. The needle/pin hole
problem is another reason I've always stayed away from garment sewing on shiny
silks. But, it turned out not to be an issue here. I didn't have to frog a
lot, but I did frog some. The original holes were barely noticeable (to my
pleased surprise) and in any case they were covered up by the new stitching.
The kind of silk she provided may have had something to do with this. It
wasn't a smooth, scarf weight silk, but something somewhat heavier, with lots
of slubs in it. (Sorry, I never can remember the names of the various silk
weaves, except for charmuse and tweed.)

The program chairman of
our local guild told (!) me that I was going to teach a class on Jacobean style
embroidery!!!! BRBR

Your program chairman is a genius. That sounds like a *wonderful* class.

Annie

Old December 19th 03, 09:41 PM
Ellice

On 12/19/03 2:56 PM,"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

Wonder if it was dupioni? Shiny, slubby. Fine weave on the warp
threads. A WONDERFUL silk on which to stitch. I've used lots of it.
It softens up considerably after washing. I've never had a problem with
holes, and I rip out lots. grin Great for silk ribbon, which requires
large chenille needles.

Actually, I think it was probably the Silk Matka (I'm thinking it's from
India rather than Thailand - which is usually the source for Dupioni). This
link to the Berlin site fabric info has some pix:
http://www.berlinembroidery.com/fabrics.htm

It seems to be similar to Silk Dupioni.
ellice

Old December 19th 03, 09:47 PM
Ellice

On 12/19/03 2:53 PM,"Dianne Lewandowski" posted:

This conversation is confusing me. Wasn't crewel embroidery a process
of "crewel wool" on linen (usually linen twill) grounds.

I'm sure that is true. And indeed, the traditional pieces I'm ordering are
on Linen Twill - done with Appleton crewel wool.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't use other threads or other grounds.
But I keep reading about silk ground, and this is a new "revelation" to
me to think of crewel embroidery and silk cloth in the same breath.

I guess in this modern adaptation it's the same technique, using crewel
stitches, or type stitches - in this modern Jacobean embroidery - but
instead the work is done on a silk background, using silk or cotton threads
or metallic threads - not wool. It's a finer version. I think that's what I
like. But the stitches are the "crewel work" stitches. Hey - way back when
those ladies sitting around doing fancy work did this kind of embroidery on
silks and fine cloths - not always on wool or heavy twill for draperies,
etc.

Speaking of which - did you catch the embroidery on the bustiers featured in
November's Threads? I love that magazine.

What will be interesting about my adventure is that I'm going to have to do
these pieces to stay ahead of the crazy aunt.

ellice
Dianne

snipped to post

Old December 20th 03, 12:18 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, of course, embroidery has been done on silk grounds for a few
thousand years. And Westerners used chenille threads on silk - which
are a lot heftier than wool.

Many of the patterns which we associate with "crewel" or "Jacobian"
embroidery are used on lots of other embroideries, in lots of other
fibers. It's just that Western embroidery, with typical "Jacobian"
embroidery was crewel on twill. My mother did a beautiful, typical
Jacobian-style embroidery on normal closely woven linen, not twill. And
I do wool on blanketing.

You can do shaded embroideries with wool, too. But the typical way you
think of this is: silk on silk.

I didn't know Tanja was selling silk as a ground for "Jacobian". I'll
have to check her out again. :-)

This has been a fun thread to read. Thanks for the silk link.
Dianne

Ellice wrote:
[...]

snipped to post

Old December 21st 03, 04:24 PM
Bungadora

Well, I went to this site expecting another exchange sucking shopping
experience, and here Tasha Berlin lives in Calgary. And she teaches private
classes. What a handy, handy thing to know!

Dora, Calgary

Ellice

Hi ya guys, I just had to share this site. My crazy aunt who quilts, and
used to do NP, has decided that she wants to do embroidery. As in a counted
thread sampler. Next thing I know, after I've sent her a bunch of links to
look at so I have an idea of what types she likes, she picks the most
difficult Drawn Thread piece. Well, she has good taste - but I told her I'll
kit her up something a little simpler, in the same vein, and send it on.

This is followed by a phone call "You have to see the Berlin Embroidery" -
sill my - thinking it's Berlin Woolwork - and questioning her - to find out
she's talking about Jacobean style embroidery- she now wants to do this. And
has found some truly gorgeous stuff. So, I'm sending these links - the kits
here at the Tanya Berlin site seem gorgeous. And I thought of Dianne!
Because, of course, I'm convincing my aunt (who has only done petit point
and NP) that she should get a more basic beginner-intermediate crewel piece
to start with, then move on to one of these with the more complex filling
stitches. The other part of this, is that while I've done goldwork, I
haven't done this kind of work in ages, and now it seems that I'm going to
do a piece in tandem - or more likely ahead of - my aunt.

Anyhow, this site (going back to the home page, and exploring it all) has
some amazing things. Thought I'd share.

http://www.berlinembroidery.com/modernjacobean.htm

I think the dragonfly is calling to me. And Tanya Berlin offers "on-line
critiques" if you buy a kit thru her. A great teaching, customer service
thing. So, I just thought I'd enable a bit. There is an amazing amount of
gorgeous stuff and information on this site.

Oh, we also found some more gorgeous Jacobean style embroidery kits at an
Australian site:
http://www.lynsfineneedlework.com.au/Kits3.htm

So, Dianne, as our local surface embroidery expert - what do you think? Of
course, all other opinions are welcome. Should I guide her to a more simple
piece, then on to working on silk, with many filling stitches? I'm concerned
that if it's too much, her early stitching will be not up to par, and then
she'll be frustrated, etc. My rationale was do a simpler piece with a few
stitches, as a practice to get the feel for tension, stitching, and then
move on to a more complicated one. I found some simple little Jacobean
pieces at Jenny June. This site also had a lot of crewel pieces. At the
bottom of the link page there is a quartet of small pieces for learning
"filling stitches".

http://www.jennyjune.com/jacobean_kits.asp

Dang, I new I'd come up with something new to do after finishing that
sampler.

Ellice

Old December 22nd 03, 05:37 AM
Dr. Brat

The reference to silk was to one of Tanja Berlin's Jacobean kits. Is
Jacobean a form of crewel, or is it its own genre? Either way, if you
have a problem with it being done on silk, you'll have to take it up
with Tanja Berlin! *grin*

Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old December 22nd 03, 05:38 AM
Ellice

On 12/21/03 10:24 AM,"Bungadora" posted:

Well, I went to this site expecting another exchange sucking shopping
experience, and here Tasha Berlin lives in Calgary. And she teaches private
classes. What a handy, handy thing to know!

Lucky you - just don't rub it in, too much!

ellice

Old December 22nd 03, 06:23 AM
Mavia Beaulieu

Several of us from this newsgroup did a workshop with Tanya, here in
Halifax. She's an excellent teacher and very organized. If you can get
into one of these workshops it would be much cheaper that private lessons
and well worth the money. I'm sure if you emailed her she would let you know
if there are any available in Calgary.

Old December 22nd 03, 03:31 PM
Bungadora

I'm sure I've seen her name before in a LNS newsletter, or something, offering
a class, so at an introductory level it probably would be more affordable to
take a class which lasts several hours. I won't be doing anything like that
for a while though. I've got to finish a few things, and be good with finances
for a while. I like to learn new things, but I have to sit down and focus on
specific skills for a while. I'll be making curtains in the new year - that
will give me practise in hemming.

Dora

Dora