Something wonderful . . .

Old December 15th 03, 04:18 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Invasive/non-native plants are a thorny issue! I am never sure where I stand
on most of these - purple loosestrife is a real danger to waterways/swamps
etc.

White Sweet Clover Huh, I'm stumped! Legumes are good.

Red Clover Wow, I'd plant this.

These, supposedly (at least in the East), competes with the native
legumes/nitrogen fixers. Both are English country side plants.

The American Horticulture Society has some excellent and non-hysterical
information about these issues. (http://www.ahs.org/)

Cheryl

Old December 15th 03, 07:43 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

animaux wrote:

Purple loosetrife is illegal in many states. It is invading native species, thus removing
native habitat plants which are vital to certain water fowl. Goose neck loosetrife is not
as bad, but purple is indeed a very invasive, exotic species.

Yes, but the "general population" gets confused and thinks ALL
loosestrife is bad. That was the point I was trying to make. There is
purple loosestrife, and there is "purple" loosestrife. :-)
Dianne

Old December 15th 03, 08:33 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/15/03 2:43 PM, in article ,
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

animaux wrote:

Purple loosetrife is illegal in many states. It is invading native species,
thus removing
native habitat plants which are vital to certain water fowl. Goose neck
loosetrife is not
as bad, but purple is indeed a very invasive, exotic species.

Yes, but the "general population" gets confused and thinks ALL
loosestrife is bad. That was the point I was trying to make. There is
purple loosestrife, and there is "purple" loosestrife. :-)
Dianne

That is part of the reason most serious gardeners use the Latin name; to cut
down on confusion. I can think of at least three things called lilies -
calla lily aka Zantedeschia, tiger lily which could be either a Lilium or a
Hemerocallis, lily of the valley (Convallaria). There are also Surprise
Lilies (or Naked Ladies -Amaryllis belladona), waterlilies,......

Cheryl

Old December 15th 03, 10:19 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

"Serious gardeners" aren't that common. I was a Master Gardener, taking
40 hours of classes in Lake County, Illinois. I used to know all the
latin names and rattled them off as easily as I could say, "I want soup
for lunch". But I've forgotten most of what I learned because for a
long time I didn't have a garden, thought I'd never get another one, and
have basically just "putzed" the last couple of years.

I would think (from my experience) that *most* gardeners are the
garden-variety kind who don't know the difference between hosta and
plaintain lily (there's another "lily" for you). And a lot of garden
shops have "help" who can't pronounce the latin names, so the gardening
public isn't getting educated by "osmosis". There's also a lot of
high-quality local nurseries who are selling plants that really don't
make it in this climate. They have "pretty pictures" on the labels, and
I've gotten stung a couple times by so-called "dwarf sports" that grow
to be 8 feet when they should be 3. It's a caveat emptor world, alas,
in gardening as in all things.

Anyway, hopefully I can afford a couple new daylilies this year . . .
and I'm gonna get my advice from you. grin

The best of gardeners learn from other "best of gardeners" in their
area. We're also experimenters and learn a lot by growing and throwing
out. And that's part of the fun of gardening.

Dianne

It's a lot better now than it was in the 1960's and 1970's.

Old December 15th 03, 10:28 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Interesting - hosta is often commonly known as Plantain Lily or funkia
locally. But there is also Plantain (Plantago) - or White Man's Footsteps -
a weed and wild edible plant.

And when you are ready for daylilies, just let me know!
Cheryl

On 12/15/03 5:19 PM, in article ,
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

[...]

Old December 16th 03, 04:30 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Victoria - contact me off line - we have to trade! In the spring!
Cheryl
On 12/16/03 9:18 AM, in article ,
"animaux" wrote:

Hmmmm, whatcha got! My greenhouse is teaming with plants I am going to sell
nurseries around town. Mostly native plants. I can grow most anything. I
have
some daylilies. Many, many Stella dwarfs. Great in containers. Lot's of
ornamental grasses, Pennisetum setaceum, Miscanthus sinensis 'Caberet'
'Gracillimus' 'Cosmopolitan' and many other plants for trade. Also lots of
seeds.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:28:49 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

[...]

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 12/15/03 2:43 PM, in article
,

Old December 16th 03, 07:48 PM
Darla

wrote:

Interesting - hosta is often commonly known as Plantain Lily or funkia
locally. But there is also Plantain (Plantago) - or White Man's Footsteps -
a weed and wild edible plant.

And when you are ready for daylilies, just let me know!
Cheryl

Plantains are also varieties of banana.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old December 16th 03, 07:49 PM
emerald

"animaux" wrote in message

I'm sorry about the deer.

smile
I used to vacillate between wanting to hug the little darlings, because they
looked so incredibly cute, and shoot the little varmints, because they just
didn't seem to remember what the book said they were not supposed to eat!
LOL!
In the end my garden was very eclectic. Here, on southern Vancouver Island,
our summers are extremely dry, so I was trying my best for xeriscaping. I
used a lot of native plants interspersed with aromatic herbs; sort of
Mediterranean meets west coast. It wasn't very showy but I had oodles of
birds and butterflies and I was happy.
We're moving into a new place at the end of the month, so my gardening
adventures begin again.

emerald, watching a rufous-sided towhee foraging outside my window

Old December 17th 03, 02:55 AM
Karen C - California

Surprise Lilies (or Naked Ladies -Amaryllis belladona)

Naked Ladies are very popular in California. And although they're a pale pink,
they seem to be quite popular among men, who like to brag that they've got a
whole bed full of Naked Ladies. leer Of all the plants that Grandma grew,
this was the only one that Uncle Hal learned to identify by name.

I have a few in one corner of my yard. What I really want is a yard full of
Bird of Paradise. Can any of you gardening geniuses tell me, do I sidle up to
the house on the corner and take cuttings while she's not looking, or am I
going to have to find a place that sells bulbs (or whatever they grow out of)?

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 17th 03, 02:55 AM
Karen C - California

In article QkJDb.726386$pl3.335069@pd7tw3no, "emerald"
writes:

I was trying my best for xeriscaping. I
used a lot of native plants interspersed with aromatic herbs

Did you try stuff with lots of thorns to scare the deer off?

My aunt has terrible problems with deer in her yard, and they don't seem to
read the gardening books, either. On a fairly regular basis, they come around
a curve and hit a deer standing in the road, so I know I can always get a
reaction by sending a Christmas card with a deer on it. VBEG And when she
complained that I had stitched something for everyone else in the family but
her, I threatened to make her the biggest deer I could find! (Instead, I
settled for a Silver Lining iris, which was relegated to the guest room, rather
than the den where I thought it would look better.)