Not telling

Old March 6th 13, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Not telling

We have such a wonderful summer planned. My FL sister is expecting a
great-granddaughter who shall be named Lucy due May 13th. My MS sister is
expecting a grand July 7 and our great grandson is to arrive July 15. Lotsa
baby sugar incoming. Doing a Lucy quilt is big fun - there's 'I Love Lucy'
and Charlie Brown's Lucy. A quilt for our own great-grandson opens up lots
of choices but I'm thinking wheels.
Where I'm stalled is the baby whose parents are being dramatic and
keeping the sex of their baby secret until birth. Whatever.
Since pastels are SO old-fashioned and girls can love chain-saws if they
want to, I'm blank. What quilt do I do for the 'to be announced' baby?
Polly

Old March 6th 13, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 06-03-2013 06:36, Polly Esther skrev:
We have such a wonderful summer planned. My FL sister is expecting a
great-granddaughter who shall be named Lucy due May 13th. My MS sister
is expecting a grand July 7 and our great grandson is to arrive July
15. Lotsa baby sugar incoming. Doing a Lucy quilt is big fun - there's
'I Love Lucy' and Charlie Brown's Lucy. A quilt for our own
great-grandson opens up lots of choices but I'm thinking wheels.
Where I'm stalled is the baby whose parents are being dramatic and
keeping the sex of their baby secret until birth. Whatever.
Since pastels are SO old-fashioned and girls can love chain-saws if
they want to, I'm blank. What quilt do I do for the 'to be announced'
baby? Polly

Chain-saw wielding ballerinas?

Or something with animals - They come in both gender :-)

Hanne in DK

Old March 6th 13, 07:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

For a similarly 'secret gender' baby, I made a quilt using the pieced
alphabet blocks of Carol Doak (in her book that I could look up if you
needed me to - I know roughly where it is g). I made it 5 x 6, with
four corner filler blocks of things like a ship + three other things I'd
also have to look up! I did send a picture of it to Carol, and she
liked it a lot. With many small pieces it can be as bright as you like
- mine was mixed bright and pastel . I loved it!
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

Old March 6th 13, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Babies supposedly like things with high contrast because their vision is
not well developed, so black & white with touches of red & yellow. I did
this one with Jack-in-the-box blocks for a great-nephew; in this case, I
did know it was to be a boy named Jack, but it would work for a girl,
too. http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/JackInTheBox.JPG

Neither one of my children knew the gender of any of their children, so
their nurseries were done with what I called "bright pastels" -- not the
bright primary colors but not pastels either. Or use one of the Eric
Carle fabrics, such as the Hungry Caterpillar or Brown Bear fabrics.
Here's my "Hungry Caterpillar" top.
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/HungryCaterpillar.JPG

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old March 6th 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

zoo animals are a favorite of mine. maybe sweet elephants? last 'nobody is
telling'
baby in our family got a lot of monkey stuff with much brown. Baby was a
girl and it
wasn't so good imo. Brown isn't terrific for a new baby. You could get
wild and crazy
and do a pretty pink one and a boy inspired one too and then let them use
the one
that works. At least then they would have one that fits the baby right away.
What a wonderful thing all those new babies.
Taria

Old March 6th 13, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

On 06/03/2013 05:36, Polly Esther wrote:
We have such a wonderful summer planned. My FL sister is expecting a
great-granddaughter who shall be named Lucy due May 13th. My MS sister
is expecting a grand July 7 and our great grandson is to arrive July 15.
Lotsa baby sugar incoming. Doing a Lucy quilt is big fun - there's 'I
Love Lucy' and Charlie Brown's Lucy. A quilt for our own great-grandson
opens up lots of choices but I'm thinking wheels.
Where I'm stalled is the baby whose parents are being dramatic and
keeping the sex of their baby secret until birth. Whatever.
Since pastels are SO old-fashioned and girls can love chain-saws if they
want to, I'm blank. What quilt do I do for the 'to be announced' baby?
Polly

We didn't tell anyone the gender of our child before he was born... I
made things in lavendar, blue and green. A nice soft palette of
colours! For a summer baby, I like things with yellow.
Yellow/green/white is nice for example. Or the quilt I'm making has
teddies on moons, and the background is a light blue starry sky - that
could work for a boy or a girl. Everyone loves teddies, right?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old March 7th 13, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 23:36:57 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:

We have such a wonderful summer planned. My FL sister is expecting a
great-granddaughter who shall be named Lucy due May 13th. My MS sister
is expecting a grand July 7 and our great grandson is to arrive July 15.
Lotsa baby sugar incoming. Doing a Lucy quilt is big fun - there's 'I
Love Lucy' and Charlie Brown's Lucy. A quilt for our own great-grandson
opens up lots of choices but I'm thinking wheels.
Where I'm stalled is the baby whose parents are being dramatic and
keeping the sex of their baby secret until birth. Whatever.
Since pastels are SO old-fashioned and girls can love chain-saws if
they
want to, I'm blank. What quilt do I do for the 'to be announced' baby?
Polly

Years ago, a lady in a karate school I was in was having a child and I
made a baby quilt for her. My guess is that she would be somewhere in
her teens (the child, not the mother), and I sometimes wonder if she
still has it.

It was a simple fence row pattern, and I tried to describe exactly how to
make a fence row pattern, as the group I was posting it to was a karate
group and not a quilting group. Well, anyway I managed to make a basic
pattern sound immensely complicated, but I digress.

Any way, there were 5 stripes in each square, and I think each square
came out to about 6 or so inches each, making them approximately an inch
wide. The colors in each followed the pattern white, yellow, green,
purple then brown, and with a black frame around the outside (the colors
of the belts in the school that we were in).

The quilt was "inspired" by the belts in our school, but it was not
specifically "about karate". I also used bright versions of these
colors, not muted "pastelly" versions of these colors.

The parents told me that their daughter liked the bright colors in it.
As another digression, I told someone about this quilt once, and they
were absolutely appalled that I would use black in something for a baby.

Well anyway, that story gets to my two suggestions. My first is my
theory that babies like bright colors, and "pastelly" colors are an
adults perception of what babies are supposed to like, but what they
really like are bright colors.

My second is that a good inspiration might be a hobby of the parents,
especially if that hobby can be abstracted, like in my "belt quilt," and
it is even better if that hobby is shared by both parents.

Of course, other baby quilts I have made (both for other parents and for
charity) have just been some random colors thrown together in whatever
pattern I felt like at the time (square in a square, name your favorite
state star, etc.). Even so, they still adhered to my theory of baby
quilts using bright colors.

PS: I stood in front of the notions section at Hancock fabrics for what
felt like forever trying to decide what assortment of needles to get. I
even pondered getting the self threading needles "as seen on TV." Well
anyway, I got size 7 sharps, I think, and finally got my favorite shirt
fixed,

PSS: I didn't lose my CAMS for the sewing machine, but as they have been
through probably 10 moves in the last 30 years, I am surprised I still
have them. I would also have to experiment with them to figure out which
one would be appropriate for making the quilt binding that was described
in your earlier message.

Brian Christiansen
Old March 7th 13, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Happy day! so glad you found the cams. My 1st sm (well, not my first - it
was grandmother's treadle with me sitting in her lap) that we bought was a
Singer with cams. You can do everything with those cams; just a matter of
trying this and trying that until you get the stitch that you need. Polly

Old March 7th 13, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Have a look for The Grouchy Ladybug, another of the very delightful
Eric Carle books. Plenty of ladybug fabric available, pleanty of good
bright colors.
Roberta in D