Elastic insert on jeans

Old January 12th 04, 01:44 AM

Elastic insert on jeans

(SML)
Thank you Cea. Your suggestions were very helpful and I will try them
on the next pair of jeans I need to expand.
---
You're welcome. I forgot to add that I always use wide black elastic
for this type of alteration. It is less obvious--not, as another post
pointed out, as ugly and underwear-looking as white elastic. It seems to
look more like part of the design when done in black.
Cea

Old January 12th 04, 04:25 PM

On this same thread, I wonder if elastic would take dye well, and, if
so, what type of dye should use? Cold water dye?
I have an enormous roll of 2 & 1/2 inch wide elastic, and it occurs to
me that waist alterations would look even better if I could dye some of
the elastic shades of denim blue.
I'll eventually experiment, but hate to waste a package of dye on a
hunk of elastic when I know I can rummage through the closet and find
something else that needs to be my favorite shade of blue.
Cea

Old January 12th 04, 04:45 PM
SewStorm

I'll eventually experiment, but hate to waste a package of dye on a
hunk of elastic when I know I can rummage through the closet and find
something else that needs to be my favorite shade of blue.

Well, Cea, why don't you dye something else, and just add a hunk of elastic in
the dye bath? Whenever I dye anything black, I always throw in all my faded
black cotton socks.

Rit does make a denim blue dye, by the way.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 17th 04, 04:35 PM
Joy Stafford-Evans

I bought some wide black elastic with instruction from Kathy Ruddy at a
sewing show for this. I still have not tried it. She has instructions to
add this to a pattern to add the elastic as you construct the garment.
Perhaps you can adapt it to an existing pair of pants.

http://www.getcreativeshow.com/semin...ic_inserts.htm

Joy S-E

Has anyone slit down a jean's waistband and inserted an elastic panel to
enlarge the waist? It ends up as a v-shaped insert and makes the waist

more
comfortable.