I'm Considering opening a Crafts Market.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:08 AM
Christina Peterson

I figured that if he's talking about live demonstrations and vocational
education and cottage industries, he already is a proponent for sharing.

It might be an interesting thread to discuss "sharing" vs doing art as one's
own vision. Especially since most of us here who believe in sharing prefer
to market ourselves as individuals. Not sharing or in co-ops.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote ...

..... If the craft business is what you're looking to go
into..."alone" won't work anymore. Crafting is all about sharing.

That is a VERY good point. Going it alone won't work in the 21st century,

even
-- no matter what you do. Give it up!
~~
Sooz

Old June 23rd 04, 03:09 AM
Christina Peterson

Hey, at least one of us has even lived in Fort Bragg, CA.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote ...
I am in Mendocino County but in the City of Fort Bragg. Fort Bragg has
undergone tremendous economic and social conflict over the last several
years and is quite a depressed area locally but this year the tourists

are
back in droves.

You'd be stunned by how many of us know where that is. Some of us have

even
been there, many many many times!

Old June 23rd 04, 03:27 AM
Lara

This is what I would suggest too. I was in a friend's co-op several months
ago in a tourist town here in WA state. It really was like a gallery (like
mentioned in another post). This way it is broken up in little shops, but
not really. Does that make sense?

Lara

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
We used to have a place in town that was a consignment co-op. Worked

pretty
well. Could you get gov't money for it? For "hiring" people with
disabilities, eg those physically prevented from standing a lot (as many
crafters are)? Or for vocational/entrepreneurial retraining? It could be
the difference between scraping by and doing well. Where are you at?
Mendo?

Tina

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message
Greetings:

I have been kind of hanging around here listening to all the talk of

beads
and lampwork and I have a question for the group. I have a building in

resort town on the North Coast of California. The building was a bar

and
dancehall for many years and I really do not have any interst in

continuing
as a bar. I was thinking of opening a crafts marketplace. Not one of

those
crafts places where they sell trinketsw for people to assemble into

crafts
for personal use but real craft items. Items that are hand wrought such

as
the beads you produce. I would also like to have live demonstrations of
artisans practicing their crafts from time to time.

This is not a scam and I am absolutely serious about opening up such a

shop.
I have about 3500 square feet and more available. The City jusrisdiction
will not let me break it upinto individual shops because they claim it
intensifies the use. The building is on the busiest corner in town and

there
are enough antique stores in the area already. If you have any

suggestions
I would really like to hear them. I myself work in wrought iron and

glass.
My background includes an undergraduate degree in vocational education

with
an emphasis on craft industries and my family for generations have been
blacksmiths and artists. I wanted to trot this suggestion out here

because
you seem to be a lot more user friendly than some of the other groups on
usenet: especially the glass group!

Best regards,
Charles