insuring a quilt

Old January 25th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default insuring a quilt

I'm mailing a quilt soon and, due to bad experiences, want to insure it.
How does one come up with a value that the post office will respect if
it loses the quilt? (I'm in the US.)

--
SML
Old January 26th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I insured one for $500 ($200 for fabric actual and $300 for labor). They
didn't bat an eye at that amount...

Juli

news:1h9q9m4.1mk09rijom7dkN%que.sara.saraDELETE@gm ail.com...

Old January 26th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When I ship pottery, it is insured for the full retail amount. I have had
losses, and never had them balk at paying (USPS).

newszUBf.9676$NE.4402@dukeread12...

Old January 26th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

lisa skeen wrote:

When I ship pottery, it is insured for the full retail amount. I have had
losses, and never had them balk at paying (USPS).

I wasn't clear -- this is a quilt I made, so I don't know what the
retail amount would be.

--
SML
Old January 26th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

JL wrote:

I insured one for $500 ($200 for fabric actual and $300 for labor). They
didn't bat an eye at that amount...

Good to know. Thanks!

--
SML
Old January 26th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Retail price = cost of materials plus cost of overhead plus cost of labor at
X per hour (or day, or however you are paid...per stitch? LOL) times at
least two, (some say 2.5).

"Sara Lorimer" wrote in message
news:1h9qfum.1bhur3w11azpikN%que.sara.saraDELETE@g mail.com...

Old January 26th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jan wrote:

The only experience I've had with insuring something thru the USPS is when
my FIL mailed me a crystal object with no packign material.... for some
reason it didn't make it one piece vbg My husband being the good man that
he is, took care of it all, but I remember that FIL had to produce a
reciept proving how much he paid for it and that's what the worth was....
not the amount he claimed when he purchased the insurance....

Yeah, I've had to make a claim against USPS, and they wanted receipts
for everything. Luckily it was books I'd bought on-line, so I could
easily get receipts. I'm not going to bother getting this quilt
appraised, though... I guess I'll just cross my fingers.

--
SML
Old January 26th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sara,

To whom are you sending the quilt? You are the manufacturer of the quilt.
You are entitled to insure it for whatever the retail value is. Figure out
what you'd charge if you sold it to me, and put that value on it for
insurance purposes. At the very least, put $50 insurance on it - USPS will
pay you on the spot if a claim is $50 or less, and all you have to do is
show your insurance tag.

"Sara Lorimer" wrote in message
news:1h9qjek.1dsbbdmd8q8fkN%que.sara.saraDELETE@gm ail.com...

Old January 26th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Take a picture of it -- one of the entire quilt with something that shows its size -- like you
holding it to show how big it is.... Also show a close of the quilting... Make a note of how much
fabric you used -- front and back and value at reasonable cost per yard. Then value the quilting as
if a long arm quilter had done it... Not sure how much trouble you would have if you had to fight
it --but if you could show hard #'s as to its value .... might help. Remember... with USPS
insured DOES NOT mean you get a tracking # -- it is worth the few extra $$$ to be able to track
it....

Kate in MI

Old January 26th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In my experience with the USPS, you can insure for the actual cost
of the item. You can not add labor to it, since you have to produce
receipts for every part of it. That is their rule, not mine.
They might settle for an easy $50, but anything over that could be
a real hassle. I will still insure for more than actual cost, because
the employees don't know what is inside and the actual cost you
have in the item. So I would guess they don't want it on their record
that during "their watch" something of great value got lost.
Also, I have found that if an item is insured, it is more likely to reach
its intended destination. Several years ago, I made 2 sets of coasters
for each of our children (DH has 5 and I have 3). One set went to a
DstepD in Florida and never got there. After that I have insured every-
thing that is sent to any of our children, and it always gets there with
no trouble. I also ask for delivery confirmation as well. It cost a little
extra but to have the peace of mind it is worth it to make certain that
your "work" has reached its proper destination.
JMHO
Marlys in Indiana

"Sara Lorimer" wrote in message
news:1h9q9m4.1mk09rijom7dkN%que.sara.saraDELETE@gm ail.com...
I'm mailing a quilt soon and, due to bad experiences, want to insure it.
How does one come up with a value that the post office will respect if
it loses the quilt? (I'm in the US.)

--
SML

An evil quilt attacks you ! Karl-Hugo Weesberg Quilting 18 September 4th 10 12:55 AM
Newbie: Info on Quilt Challenge PinkLady Quilting 8 November 7th 05 05:36 PM
Nice Quilt Story Sk8eraunt Quilting 4 October 2nd 04 03:46 PM
My first "real" Quilt -- LOL Kathy in CA Quilting 2 August 12th 03 10:28 PM